Spouse Settlement Visa

Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:43 am
Just Joined

MissKKsMummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Settlement Visa

Hi everyone, my first post

Just wanted to find out some info and hear people's experiences... I'm guessing my daughter will be British by descent - does anyone know about this (I am British born - moved here when I was 11). Does that mean a visa, if so is this expensive?

My husband would have to go on a spouse settlement visa I suppose?? Are these hard to get and would I be silly to apply now if we think we're going in about 2-3 years? Do visas run out quickly?!

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but this forum is like a goldmine on these things and I think I could get some really good advice!

Kate
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Settlement Visa

You'll need to give more details.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spouse Settlement Visa

Originally Posted by MissKKsMummy
Hi everyone, my first post

Just wanted to find out some info and hear people's experiences... I'm guessing my daughter will be British by descent - does anyone know about this (I am British born - moved here when I was 11). Does that mean a visa, if so is this expensive?

My husband would have to go on a spouse settlement visa I suppose?? Are these hard to get and would I be silly to apply now if we think we're going in about 2-3 years? Do visas run out quickly?!

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but this forum is like a goldmine on these things and I think I could get some really good advice!

Kate
As long as your marriage is not a marriage of convenience, then you should be okay. Four years is the magic number. No offence, but this is one of the main points they are trying to determine. My wife applied on line and received a reply within two weeks but this depends on the country you are in.

A spousal visa costs just short of 1000 GBP. Once issued, it is valid for 27 months so there is no point in applying now. Basically, this is 3 months to get here plus another 2 years. During the 2 years, he will have to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) (another 1000 GBP). This is the final step before applying for citizenship. Probably the only government department that makes any money.

If you print out the VAF4 settlement form you will see the type of information they are looking for and there is no harm in starting to put everything together now. They may ask for photographs, letters, etc. to prove that you have known one another as long as you say you have. Date stamped photographs are always good. The more you throw at them, the better your chances. Plus you will need the usual marriage certificates and any divorce certificates (if applicable), etc.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/

As always with the government, watch for the moving goalposts.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 1st 2011 at 11:19 am.