Anyone else with these experiences on moving back

Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:32 am
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future
Default Anyone else with these experiences on moving back

After 21+ years in the US I am calling it quits and going back home hopefully by Nov/Dec 2011. We tried to move back in 2006 but with lousy exchange rate we just could not do it. I will be in my last quarter (spring) of college and will graduate with my Associates in Early Childhood Education and I've also been a freelance graphic artist for 16+ years. So I have two careers to fall on plus my husband is hoping to contract for the company he works for in US over in UK for while (programer). So this is the order I plan on doing things in and if anyone has any experience in any of these things please let me know and if I should swap any of the order around.
1. Apply for Daughters UK citzenship (she's adopted from China and then we had to readopt in US) want to that sent out by mid April as told it may take 3-6 months.
2. Get my two dogs blood work done and sent off within next two months as told have to wait six months for ok and then have a four month window when we get certificate and valid until. Then we would have to start all over again. Not sure where to get blood work done as PETS and DEFRA only list two vets in UK and none in US.
3. Get my husbands settlement application filed around end of July (he's US citizen and we've been married for way more than 4 years) I've been told it takes around 3 months for the approval and then we have a three month window for him to get over there, but we can apply for an extension if not over within those three months.
4. Trying to offload house at moment, and may have to walk away. I've been on sleeping tablets and just gone on anxiety tabs as we have had to take lawsuit out against threats and vandalism from neighbor. I cant even let my kids play in back yard on their own (6 and 10 years old) coz scared of what neighbors might do. So this has kind of made our decision of moving back a lot easier.

I think I may have to go back before my husband and hopefully look for place. My brother went into Amos estate agents up the road to him and they told him that i would need 6 months rent up front if I came back and had no job. Not sure how true that is, or if anyone has had that experience.

So if anyone has had any of these experience's please let me know how it went. Also does anyone know of where to send the MN1 (for daughter) form and settlement visa (for hubby) in US and the fees involved, I cant find the info anywhere. Called the UK phone number on the UK immigration site this morning and all they did was refer me to a consular near me. Called San Fran and don't handle visa's. Looked on all the sites and still cant find anything for fees or where to send.
BTW loved the useful links, have printed list out as will come in handy.
Thanks for everyone's help
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else with these experiences on moving back

Originally Posted by graphicsgal
3. Get my husbands settlement application filed around end of July (he's US citizen and we've been married for way more than 4 years) I've been told it takes around 3 months for the approval and then we have a three month window for him to get over there, but we can apply for an extension if not over within those three months.
If he can afford (both financially and time-wise) to make a trip to the UK before making the visa application, then look into him taking the Life in the UK test. A pass in this should mean ILR (permanent residency) straight away, rather than having temporary leave - having to take the test after arrival, and make another visa application for ILR.

Also, if he only gets temporary leave and you've been married for over 4 years outside the UK, his visa label should be annotated with KOL Req. This means he can take the Life in the UK test at any time, and apply for ILR once he has this (wouldn't have to wait for the normal 2 year period).
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

After 21+ years in the US I am calling it quits and going back home hopefully by Nov/Dec 2011. We tried to move back in 2006 but with lousy exchange rate we just could not do it. I will be in my last quarter (spring) of college and will graduate with my Associates in Early Childhood Education and I've also been a freelance graphic artist for 16+ years. So I have two careers to fall on plus my husband is hoping to contract for the company he works for in US over in UK for while (programer). So this is the order I plan on doing things in and if anyone has any experience in any of these things please let me know and if I should swap any of the order around.
1. Apply for Daughters UK citzenship (she's adopted from China and then we had to readopt in US) want to that sent out by mid April as told it may take 3-6 months.
2. Get my two dogs blood work done and sent off within next two months as told have to wait six months for ok and then have a four month window when we get certificate and valid until. Then we would have to start all over again. Not sure where to get blood work done as PETS and DEFRA only list two vets in UK and none in US.
4. Trying to offload house at moment, and may have to walk away. I've been on sleeping tablets and just gone on anxiety tabs as we have had to take lawsuit out against threats and vandalism from neighbor. I cant even let my kids play in back yard on their own (6 and 10 years old) coz scared of what neighbors might do. So this has kind of made our decision of moving back a lot easier.

I think I may have to go back before my husband and hopefully look for place. My brother went into Amos estate agents up the road to him and they told him that i would need 6 months rent up front if I came back and had no job. Not sure how true that is, or if anyone has had that experience.

So if anyone has had any of these experience's please let me know how it went. Also does anyone know of where to send the MN1 (for daughter) form and settlement visa (for hubby) in US and the fees involved, I cant find the info anywhere. Called the UK phone number on the UK immigration site this morning and all they did was refer me to a consular near me. Called San Fran and don't handle visa's. Looked on all the sites and still cant find anything for fees or where to send.
BTW loved the useful links, have printed list out as will come in handy.
Thanks for everyone's help
Your best bet would be to check out UK-Yankee.com for the best advice as you are currenty living in the USA. Good Luck. Elizabeth
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:48 am
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future

Unfortunatley due to finances...we need as much money as possible! An extra round trip for my husband is sadly out of the question at the moment. I think he may have to do the later and apply once he is there.
Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks Boodles, have not heard of that one but I'll definatly check it out.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the rent, if you can get somebody to stand as a guarantor for you, you only have to pay one month's rent. This was true in May 2009 when my brother in law stood as guarantor for me, maybe get your brother to check if this is still valid.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

After 21+ years in the US I am calling it quits and going back home hopefully by Nov/Dec 2011.
I would add getting US citizenship to your list if you don't have it already. You have time if you submit soon.

Despite not being a fan of the US right now, you never know what the future may bring. Best to keep your options open.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:26 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Graphicsgal,

If you have a good vet, they will be able to point you in the right direction regarding blood work and how/where to get it done.

Good luck
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:39 pm
Banned

aussieuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I would add getting US citizenship to your list if you don't have it already. You have time if you submit soon.

Despite not being a fan of the US right now, you never know what the future may bring. Best to keep your options open.
Are there any benefits of getting US citizenship?I see the only and only benefit of US citizenship is right to work in US and make inexpensive USD?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:07 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussieuk
Are there any benefits of getting US citizenship?I see the only and only benefit of US citizenship is right to work in US and make inexpensive USD?
21 years I'm assuming you'd be receiving SS retirement, being a USC makes it more likely you'll get it, one of the reasons Dh and I did it, he had visions of them only paying out to non USC if they were living in the US in the future. The way things are going it seems more and more likely, they are trying to save money any way they can. So it's a bit of a safety net, plus we have US born kids so can come and go as we please should they decide to return to live here.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Get my two dogs blood work done and sent off within next two months as told have to wait six months for ok and then have a four month window when we get certificate and valid until. Then we would have to start all over again. Not sure where to get blood work done as PETS and DEFRA only list two vets in UK and none in US.

As far as I can remember, it's been a few years, any government approved vet can take the blood sample but there are only a couple of labs in the US to send it to get the Titre test. I also thought once you have the titre test in place, it stays valid unless you let the rabies expire (even by one day) then you have to start all over. Again, as far as I can remember, you have 10 days to get the health certificate and 24 -48 hours the tick and worm treatment (before travel). There are loads of threads on it here if you do a search and I am sure someone else will come along and correct me if I have made a mistake. Defra should be able to answer all your questions too. I found them very helpful.

I think it is the Kansas State University that does the Titre Test.
http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/dmp/ser...abies/favn.htm

Last edited by 1chumly; Apr 1st 2011 at 1:18 am. Reason: addition
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Get my two dogs blood work done and sent off within next two months as told have to wait six months for ok and then have a four month window when we get certificate and valid until. Then we would have to start all over again. Not sure where to get blood work done as PETS and DEFRA only list two vets in UK and none in US.

As far as I can remember, it's been a few years, any government approved vet can take the blood sample but there are only a couple of labs in the US to send it to get the Titre test. I also thought once you have the titre test in place, it stays valid unless you let the rabies expire (even by one day) then you have to start all over. Again, as far as I can remember, you have 10 days to get the health certificate and 24 -48 hours the tick and worm treatment (before travel). There are loads of threads on it here if you do a search and I am sure someone else will come along and correct me if I have made a mistake. Defra should be able to answer all your questions too. I found them very helpful.

I think it is the Kansas State University that does the Titre Test.
http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/dmp/ser...abies/favn.htm
Re: the dog

Step 1: get microchip implanted and rabies shot.
Step 2: 3-4 weeks after rabies shot, get blood test taken. My local vet here on Salt Spring Island did this. There are 2 labs in the US that are DEFRA approved, both in Kansas I believe, and the vet will send it off right away for the Titre test to ensure that the dog has built up enough antibodies to rabies from the shot he received.
Step 3: After the DATE THAT THE BLOOD TEST WAS TAKEN you have to wait 6 months before travelling.
There is a 3rd country Veterinarary Certificate that must be completed by the vet noting all the dates and results of these. The microchip must be tested for readability and match to the number at each of these steps.
Step 4: The tick and tapeworm treatment must be given between 48 hours and 24 hours before travel.

Go to here for complete details and the form:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

It is a fairly easy to use website and should give you all the info that you require.
I have been going through this for my dog. Just got the bloodwork sent off.

All the best!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussieuk
If only on a greencard, residency could be considered abandoned if you stay out the country for an extended amount of time. So if OP has a change of heart about living in the states in 5 years, would have to do the entire immigration process again (possibly).

With US citizenship, could go back whenever they want.