Southern Rhodesia and citizenship born in 1944

Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Tamejoca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Southern Rhodesia and citizenship born in 1944

My mother was born in South Africa in 1944 and adopted at six weeks old by a couple who were both born in England and living in Bulawayo at the time. She travelled to the UK as a child/teen and so must have had a (presumablyBritish) passport. I am trying to find out whether she is a British citizen, and whether she is entitled to a British passport and to come and live here. Does anyone know?asking the immigration service has proved fruitless
Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern Rhodesia and citizenship born in 1944

Do you have her birth certificate ? That is the first step. Adoption papers ? If in UK, contact your MP at his/her constituency office.

When you say "come and live here" I take it you mean the UK and not Bulawayo.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tamejoca
My mother was born in South Africa in 1944 and adopted at six weeks old by a couple who were both born in England and living in Bulawayo at the time. She travelled to the UK as a child/teen and so must have had a (presumablyBritish) passport. I am trying to find out whether she is a British citizen, and whether she is entitled to a British passport and to come and live here. Does anyone know?asking the immigration service has proved fruitless
I'll move your thread to the UK forum, you may get further help there
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quite possibly. Although you would need your mother's adoption papers in order to start to figure it out. Any old passports held by her adoptive parents would also help.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tamejoca
My mother was born in South Africa in 1944 and adopted at six weeks old by a couple who were both born in England and living in Bulawayo at the time. She travelled to the UK as a child/teen and so must have had a (presumablyBritish) passport.
But just as possibly, a South African or Southern Rhodesian passport? Immigration control was not introduced for Commonwealth citizens in the United Kingdom until 1962. Where was she living and what country/territory's law governed the adoption?

Agree with what others have said, you need more details on the exact circumstances of your mother's adoption and whether Citizenship of the U.K. & Colonies was acquired. Old adoption papers/passports may give some indication.

If she's not a British citizen she might still be eligible for Right of Abode (although generally not if she has been solely South African all along). She may be out of age limit for ancestry visa.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Southern Rhodesia ? Ah that all seems so long ago ! Remember the dream and delusion of Federation ?
Old May 4th 2014, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just been re-reading the memoirs of Welensky ! Ah, the dreams ! the delusions !
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Critterzim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Southern Rhodesia and citizenship born in 1956

Hello all I was born in Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia in April 1956 and adopted in December 1963. I do not know my biological parents. However my mother that adopted me was born in Bulawayo in July 1904 and her husband was born in Johannesburg in July 1904. Have i got any rights to a british passport or right of abode in the UK. With all the changes in the acts i get totally lost. Please could someone assist me. Kind Regards.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:41 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Just been re-reading the memoirs of Welensky ! Ah, the dreams ! the delusions !
Is that Welensky's 4000 Days? They have that at my library, looks like it might be worth a read.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:12 am
Xan
Just Joined

Xan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JAJ!!
Have a few issues I need clarity on but I'm having difficulty navigating this forum! I've noticed your expertise on certain issues and have assisted a few members, I've just now joined, literally 30 min ago!! where do I go and post my issues for you and the rest to take a look at and maybe point me in the right direction?

Last edited by Xan; Jun 19th 2014 at 7:25 am.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Go to the 'Discussion forum' option at the top of the page and choose the right section for your questions, like in any other forum.