$63K Gift

Old Jun 20th 2014, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Nattybatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $63K Gift

Hi,

Bit of history and brief background - Me (UK/AUS Citizen) living in Australia with Husband who has AUS Citizenship and two young kids (both who will have British passports, when we apply and finally get them due to current delays) wish to return to the UK to live.

I don't believe we have a chance in meeting the financial requirement via employment so we have discussed the $63K savings option.

Can this be given as a gift with a Stat Dec from person gifting money stating that they do not want it back etc... if this is an option do have to leave this in a bank account for five years until my husband gets right to remain indefinitely in the UK, of course assuming we don't have to use it to support ourselves if we can't find employment.

Also does this allow us entry immediately that it is deposited into the the bank account or does it have to sit for 6mths or 12mths prior to applying??? Also can it go into my existing UK bank account or Australian Bank Account?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have not been able to find any posts to show this question!.

Thank you kindly.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $63K Gift

As far as I know, if it is a gift, the donor must write that it us indeed a gift. I have read on another forum that they should also show the money leaving their account and going into yours and that such a gift will not leave them financially strapped! The money must be there for six months prior to applying.

If you do not get work, then you would need to show the same savings at the end of two and a half years in your bank account (does not matter where it is as long as you have six months of statements) I believe the financial requirement for ILR is less but not sure on that one. Don't forget though that once the spousal visa is issued both partners can work.

As I have said, the money can be in any recognized bank as long as it can be immediately withdrawn. However, once you have the visa, it might be worthwhile putting it into a UK bank to avoid any concerns of fluctuations in exchange rates in the future.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 7:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nattybatty
Hi,

Bit of history and brief background - Me (UK/AUS Citizen) living in Australia with Husband who has AUS Citizenship and two young kids (both who will have British passports, when we apply and finally get them due to current delays) wish to return to the UK to live.

I don't believe we have a chance in meeting the financial requirement via employment so we have discussed the $63K savings option.

Can this be given as a gift with a Stat Dec from person gifting money stating that they do not want it back etc... if this is an option do have to leave this in a bank account for five years until my husband gets right to remain indefinitely in the UK, of course assuming we don't have to use it to support ourselves if we can't find employment.

Also does this allow us entry immediately that it is deposited into the the bank account or does it have to sit for 6mths or 12mths prior to applying??? Also can it go into my existing UK bank account or Australian Bank Account?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have not been able to find any posts to show this question!.

Thank you kindly.
You do realise that is £65,000, not dollars?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Nattybatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: £63K Gift

thank you for information, so what I am trying to gauge is will immigration want to see our financial situation again after they grant Hubby a spouse visa? For example when he gets ILR either after 2.5 years or 5 years whatever the timeframe is, will they wannabe see the £63k still in bank? And yes I made a typo I know it's £63k (pounds) thank you for noticing that could have been bad!!!

Last edited by Nattybatty; Jun 20th 2014 at 1:32 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Yes, you need the full £62,500 after 2.5 years and a bit less (£40k-something) for ILR after 5 years.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by michali

As I have said, the money can be in any recognized bank as long as it can be immediately withdrawn. However, once you have the visa, it might be worthwhile putting it into a UK bank to avoid any concerns of fluctuations in exchange rates in the future.

Hope this helps.
This is good advice and the current GBP/USD rate has just caught me with my pants down.