Self-Employed FLR(M) Visa Document List [APPROVED]

Old Aug 10th 2018, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self-Employed FLR(M) Visa Document List [APPROVED]

Our FLM(R) visa has been granted. Below is the document list that we sent.

We complete the application online then, posted the application via Royal Mail special delivery. Biometrics were complete the same day as the application was posted.

We did not include any return postage for our passports/documents.
They were returned via Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery.
The Biometric Residence Permit was delivered by DX Courier.

After posting the application we realised we had forgotten to include 3 documents. I have detailed this at the bottom.

Document List

APPLICANT SECTION:
Application form
Family Consent forms
2 photographs of applicant (UK passport type)
1 photograph of sponsor (UK passport type)
Applicant passport
Applicant biometrics residence permit
Sponsor passport

HOUSING SECTION
Tenancy agreement
Letter from Landlord
Council tax bills
Gas and electric bills
Water bills

RELATIONSHIP SECTION:
2 joint letters and 5 single letters each of correspondence showing same address (July 2016-June 2018)
Marriage certificate
10 pages of photos from 2010-2018

FINANCE SECTION:
Sponsor statement explaining self-employment
Evidence of the amount of tax payable, paid and unpaid for the last full financial year
Annual self-assessment tax return for 2017/18
Statement of Account (SA302)
Proof of registration with HMRC as self-employed
Unique Tax Reference Number evidence
Tax payment calculation
Unaudited accounts for the last full financial year with accountant’s certificate of confirmation
Bank statements for 2017/18 tax year
Bank statements to show on going self-employment (April 2018-June 2018)
Missing Documents

We also forgot to include 3 documents:

Declaration for spouses, civil partners, proposed civil partners, fiancé(e)s, and unmarried partners. [Required]

Declaration of third party consent for joint bank or utility account holders. [Required]

Sponsor financial support statement. [This document is not required, but explains my self-employment]
We realised the day after posting the application that we forgot to include the above documents. We wrote a cover letter and included the missing documents, then posted the letter to same address as we sent the main application. We also sent a Change of Circumstances form with the cover letter and missing documents to a different address.

The documents were all received and added to our application.

Application Timeline

Country applied from: UK
Visa Type: FLR (M) Online Application

Method: Royal Mail Special Delivery by 1pm
Documents submitted:13/06/2018
Biometrics submitted: 13/06/2018
Documents received by Home Office: 14/06/2018
Payment taken: 13/06/2018 (during online application)
Acknowledgement of application: 05/07/2018
Approval letter and Documents received: 08/08/2018
BRP card received: Attempted delivery 08/08/2018, then re-delivered on 09/08/2018.
This table shows the spread of our "6 Items of Correspodence":

The process of completing the application and gathering all the documents was very stressful and took a lot longer than expected.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited by fiend; Aug 10th 2018 at 5:27 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 8:46 am
Just Joined

swilliams1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self-Employed FLR(M) Visa Document List [APPROVED]

Dear fiend,

Thanks for the informative post. I have a few questions as we will be in a similar position. My wife is starting a new self-employed job which should allow her to easily meet the £18,600 threshold next tax year but not this tax year as up until now her pay has been low.

Her visa is valid to 07/06/2020 however we would have to use her earnings from April 2019 - April 2020. I'm concerned this might be a tight squeeze for our application.

Am I right in thinking we can submit our tax return immediately after the end of the tax year - so eg April 7th 2020 and that the process is pretty much instant? Do we need to wait for the documents (Self-Assessment Tax Return and Statement of Account) to be posted to us or is it all online and we print it out?

Were you able to use online bank statements or do these need to be originals received by post - as this may be another source of a potential delay?

Lastly, I'm not clear on what the following is 'Unaudited accounts for the last full financial year with accountant’s certificate of confirmation' - both the unaudited accounts part (ie how is that different to the Self-Assessment return) and what a 'certificate of confirmation' is.

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by swilliams1
Am I right in thinking we can submit our tax return immediately after the end of the tax year - so eg April 7th 2020 and that the process is pretty much instant? Do we need to wait for the documents (Self-Assessment Tax Return and Statement of Account) to be posted to us or is it all online and we print it out?
Yes, you can submit your tax return as soon as the tax year ends. You don't have to pay the tax/NIC (if any) until January and July.

You will be able to download copies of your Self-Assesment return and Statement of Account through the HMRC website. These are usually available within 4 days.

Were you able to use online bank statements or do these need to be originals received by post - as this may be another source of a potential delay?
The visa guidelines state you can use online bank statements but they must be stamped by the bank or include a letter of authenticity. You will find that no bank will stamp bank statements that have been printed outside of the branch. As the bank cannot guarantee those statements are genuine.

I requested original bank statments to be posted to me. These covered the tax year and 3 months after the tax year as proof of on-going trading as self-employed. They took between 7-10 days to arrive.

Lastly, I'm not clear on what the following is 'Unaudited accounts for the last full financial year with accountant’s certificate of confirmation' - both the unaudited accounts part (ie how is that different to the Self-Assessment return) and what a 'certificate of confirmation' is.
This is required for the financial section of the visa.

It is to confirm that the information you submitted for your tax return is genuine. An account will confirm this by looking at your accounts.

This can take time for an accountant to produce depending how busy they are. It can be difficult to find an accountant who will write one of these for you, if you have submitted your own tax return. I would recommened contacting accountants, to dicuss this, a few months before the end of the tax year. The accountant must be a member of a recognised body e.g.Insitute of Chartered Accountants.

The cost can be between £150-350. This can also be added as an expensve on your return.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

swilliams1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply - that's very reassuring. So even though our timing will be tight, it seems like it will be doable.

If we pay the tax due immediately - as I'm guessing that will provide a better impression for the Visa application? - would that cause any delays?

So the two HMRC documents we need we print out ourselves?

I have an accountant and am in touch with him at the moment - I'm trying to get clear on all the requirements so he's aware of what's needed to get it all done in time. It sounds like if he has all the relevant information and is prepared, then we could get it all done in the timeframe.

Thanks again for the info - I might pop back with a question or two if that's ok
Old Sep 17th 2018, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by swilliams1
Thanks for the reply - that's very reassuring. So even though our timing will be tight, it seems like it will be doable.

If we pay the tax due immediately - as I'm guessing that will provide a better impression for the Visa application? - would that cause any delays?

So the two HMRC documents we need we print out ourselves?

I have an accountant and am in touch with him at the moment - I'm trying to get clear on all the requirements so he's aware of what's needed to get it all done in time. It sounds like if he has all the relevant information and is prepared, then we could get it all done in the timeframe.

Thanks again for the info - I might pop back with a question or two if that's ok
It won’t make any difference if you pay the tax owed or not.

Yes you will be able to print them yourselves. They will not be available online immediately. HMRC seen take 4 days to process the return once it has been submitted.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Razia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, not sure if I'm posting in the right section and if anyone can help. I'm self employed and a director of a limited company. One of the question on FLR M form asks what is the income for self employment . My self employment income shows income from April 2017- april 2018 but my financial year for my business is November 2017- December 2018. Do I need to clarify this when i send my evidence?
Old Apr 29th 2019, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Sharn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I’m applying for my flr m . What documents do i need to provide gor my husbands self employment??
thanks
Old Apr 29th 2019, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sharn
Hi, I’m applying for my flr m . What documents do i need to provide gor my husbands self employment??
thanks
All the documents needed are listed in the official guidance. I also posted my complete list of documents in the first post of this thread.