Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Marriage Visitor Visa- Proof of Intention to Leave? Help please

Marriage Visitor Visa- Proof of Intention to Leave? Help please

Old Apr 29th 2019, 1:51 am
Just Joined

vanillasunday is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Marriage Visitor Visa- Proof of Intention to Leave? Help please

Hi everyone.

I'd like to explain my situation and get some input.
My fiance is American and I am a British citizen, from Northern Ireland. We both currently live and work in South Korea, teaching English.
We really want to get married in the spring of 2020, in my hometown. Our ideal goal is to apply for the fiance visa to do this, but it would depend on me getting a job in the UK before I leave Korea, in order to meet the financial requirement. As you might imagine, getting a job in the UK months in advance of the fact from the other side of the world will be very difficult.
So, taking that into account, if it becomes apparent that the fiance visa won't work out, we are also considering marrying in my hometown through a Marriage Visitor Visa. If we were to apply for that, our plan would be to get married and then immeadiately apply for a spousal visa for me to come to the USA. We would hopefully leave the UK for America when that application is successful. If it wasn't successful or took too long my fiance would return home alone
My question is: would those intentions be sufficient evidence that my fiance does not intend to stay in the UK after the marriage visitor visa expires? We would not be able to start the process for me to come to the US until after we got married in the UK.

Please help. I hope our plans make sense. It's a little convoluted.
Old Apr 29th 2019, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Visitor Visa- Proof of Intention to Leave? Help please

The Marriage Visitor visa for the UK is for 6 months maximum. The spouse visa for the US would take around 12 months to process. So you would not be able to move to the US before the Marriage Visitor visa runs out.

Your, then wife, would have to return to the US to wait the US application's completion.

Upon making the application for the Marriage Visitor visa one needs to show that the non Brit spouse will leave the UK when visa expires.
Old Apr 29th 2019, 11:58 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Visitor Visa- Proof of Intention to Leave? Help please

Onward ticket to the US; employment, financial and property ties; family: all will help evidence an intention to leave.