Renewing British Passport inside the US?

Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

ShannonJanie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing British Passport inside the US?

Hey guys,

So, I have been in the US for almost four years now on a student visa and I have just recently realized my passport expires in July next year. As many of you probably know I need at least 6 months on my passport to remain in a positive immigration status.

I have found the forms and everything I need to fill out online with picture info, courier fees etc. But the one thing I'm struggling to find out is if they return your old passport to you?

I don't want to send my passport off with my visa and my I-94 in it if I don't get it back?

Has anyone done this before who could let me know?

Thanks in advance.

Shannon
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport inside the US?

Welcome to BE Shannon.

Worry not...your old passport will be returned to you. You will then need to carry your new and old PP with you when entering the US.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome! I'm excited to get to know as many as possible.

And thank you, I was sure they would but I assumed knowing for sure would be better.

Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry if your old or new passport arrives without the other as they are sent separately; your old passport comes back from Washington, your new passport is sent from the UK. Sometimes there'll be a delay of a few days between receiving both.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShannonJanie
As many of you probably know I need at least 6 months on my passport to remain in a positive immigration status.
Actually, no you don't, but it is certainly a good idea to plan on renewing your passport before it expires.

I have found the forms and everything I need to fill out online with picture info, courier fees etc. But the one thing I'm struggling to find out is if they return your old passport to you?
Yes they do.

I don't want to send my passport off with my visa and my I-94 in it if I don't get it back?
You will get your old passport back, but if it has a paper I-94 in it I would advise you to take it out of your old passport before you send it off since that is actually your proof of legal presence in the US.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the welcome! I'm excited to get to know as many as possible. .....
Hi S-J, welcome to BE. . Where have you been for the past four years?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hi S-J, welcome to BE. . Where have you been for the past four years?
Thanks for the welcome!

I am currently a student in Oklahoma - and I can't believe I didn't find this site sooner. It probably would have saved me some trouble.

I do have one more question regarding the passport. It says it takes at least 4 weeks, but I'm wondering how long it actually has taken for some of you?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
You will get your old passport back, but if it has a paper I-94 in it I would advise you to take it out of your old passport before you send it off since that is actually your proof of legal presence in the US.
And also photocopy the visa page.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I do have one more question regarding the passport. It says it takes at least 4 weeks, but I'm wondering how long it actually has taken for some of you?
Sorry, I don't know, I have never renewed a British passport from within the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2013 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I do have one more question regarding the passport. It says it takes at least 4 weeks, but I'm wondering how long it actually has taken for some of you?
Timeline thread might help, but it always takes on the longer side of things during Christmas and the run up to the summer holidays.

4-6 weeks does seem like a safe bet though in general.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:58 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Just got mine back and it took 16 days.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:53 am
Just Joined

You guys rock. Thank you!! Hoping to get it off as soon as possible.