Q about British citizenship eligibility from the US

Old May 14th 2018, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Emily894 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Q about British citizenship eligibility from the US

Hello

I've lived in the US now for almost 8 years, married for 6 of them. I'm British, married to an American citizen and living here in California as a resident on a Green Card. We had a daughter in May 2016 and are now trying to apply for a British passport for her. I've been reading about the MN1 form - is that what I need to fill in to apply for a passport with? Is she eligible for a British passport as well as an American one, because she has one parent who is a British citizen? I find the wording and all the 'if's and but's' on the MN1 guide incredibly confusing........

Thanks in advance for your advice
Emily
Old May 14th 2018, 7:10 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q about British citizenship eligibility from the US

I did this for my daughter a few years ago. At the time I was here on a green card and her father is American, so a similar situation to yours. By virtue of you being a British citizen, she is too. Go to this website: https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

You start the process online and then once you've paid via credit card, you print out the forms and send with your British passport, photocopies of your daughter's US passport if she has one, originals of your and your child's birth certificate and then you need to get a British citizen to sign some of the forms and verify your daughter's passport photo (you need to send them 2).

It was nerve-wrecking sending originals of documents and passports, but I got everything back and the new passport in less than a week. I recommend using DHL.
Old May 14th 2018, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Oh excellent, thank you for replying. So how much did it cost - just the $56 plus shipping etc? Under the MN1 form it was saying it was going to be around $950 because it's a second passport (she does have an American passport).
Old May 14th 2018, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If YOU the British mother was born and bred in the UK, then you do not use MN1 form - you just apply for your daughter's passport.

She will be British by descent as she was born in the US.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport

Look like it costs 49 GBP
Old May 14th 2018, 8:01 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emily894
Oh excellent, thank you for replying. So how much did it cost - just the $56 plus shipping etc? Under the MN1 form it was saying it was going to be around $950 because it's a second passport (she does have an American passport).
It cost around $100 plus the cost of sending the documents via DHL to the UK.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, this has been really helpful - have applied online and will send documents off today or tomorrow. Again - thank you so much!
Old May 14th 2018, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If YOU the British mother was born and bred in the UK, then you do not use MN1 form - you just apply for your daughter's passport.

She will be British by descent as she was born in the US.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport

Look like it costs 49 GBP
Think you and Kate need to sought this out because you are saying one thing re which form to use and KateinBrooklyn is confirming it is MN1. I know this poster is not thinking clearly (hence the question re the higher cost because of a second passport) but you are only going to be confusing her even more.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Emily ... a second UK passport. Not that she has citizenship in two countries and has or will have two passports.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Yep thank you, Kate and SanDiegoGirl were on the same page - the first link was really helpful. All cleared up my end and applied for. Thank you
Old May 14th 2018, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Yep thank you, Kate and SanDiegoGirl were on the same page - the first link was really helpful. All cleared up my end and applied for. Thank you
Old May 14th 2018, 8:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Form MN1 is for registering a child as a British citizen with the Home Office because they were not entitled to British citizenship at birth. If you were born in the UK then your daughter will be automatically a British citizen by descent and a US citizen by birth. You therefore only need to make an application for her US and British passports.
Old May 14th 2018, 9:32 pm
Living the NYC dream

You're welcome. I've helped a few friends go down this route, so I keep all the information for quick reference.
Old May 15th 2018, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this recently and you should basically apply for her as if its her first UK passport, and nothing else. This was the easiest (and fastest) passport experience I have experienced, and was relatively cheap too
Old May 21st 2018, 10:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Consular birth registration is also available for children born in the US.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Briti...h_Registration