Process to naturalise after being granted a spousal visa

Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

pimpmycode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Process to naturalise after being granted a spousal visa

Hi,

So after my previous questions, i am happy to say that my wife was granted her spousal visa and we are happily back in the UK.

My wife's visa is valid for 2 years. I am wondering what the process will be from here on for her to naturalise. After two years, if her visa is renewed, how long would it be for and how long would she need to wait before she could sit the life in the UK test in order to become a British citizen?

Any info is appreciated.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process to naturalise after being granted a spousal visa

Your wife will need to pass the Life in the UK test before the next visa application - which is Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). ILR can be applied from 28 days before the 2 year anniversary of her first entry into the UK with her current visa, but no later than the expiry date on that visa. This visa is indefinite, however there will be an expiry date on the label that will match the passport expiry date.

Under current rules, spouses of British citizens can apply for naturalisation after 3 years residency, and at the time of application needs to hold ILR. You also need to make sure she was actually in the UK on the day 3 years before the application date. Also, there's a maximum time she can be outside the UK when applying for naturalisation - I believe it's 270 days over the last 3 years, with a maximum of 90 days in the year immediately before applying.

With the family route rules changing soon, it is possible that any of the above may change.

Details on ILR
Details on naturalisation
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

pimpmycode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Process to naturalise after being granted a spousal visa

Thanks a lot roaringmouse for the precise information.
The missus will be please about this, she is nervous about the test though :-)
Interesting that the test is done for ILR instead of at the time of naturalisation.

Thanks again.