Bringing my American wife back to the UK??

Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

craig.johnson1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing my American wife back to the UK??

ive recently got my married to my fiance of 2 years and we are looking to get her spouse visa to enter the UK,

i have been reading many things on the internet for weeks, some that contradict others and none matching my situation so i thought i had better ask.

Firstly i am flying out to america next week to provide all documents and passports as such but my questions are...

1. Can i fill out the online application form here (the UK) and bring it with me to the states so one thing less to do when im there, or do i have to complete it in her native country (USA).

2. obviously she wont have a job in the UK and i currently earn on average 16-18k a year and i am self employed, is there a benchmark on how much you have to earn to be a sponsor? and is being self employed a disadvantage as it is not steady income?

3. We are planning on living with my parents for a while so i understand from reading on the net i will have to provide a letter from my parents explaining they are letting me live there? correct? and is it just a simple letter with there signature?

4. i cannot find a definitive list of all documents i will need to send to the UK embassy in New York so far i have :
..Bank statements from the past year
..All invoices for the year
..Covering letter explaining i am to sponsor my wife
..Letter from my parents saying i am allowed to live at their house
..2 passport photos
..Photocopy of her photo page of passport
..Photos and any documents proving we have met
is there anything else major im missing??

5. After the application how long on average does it take to get an appointment to get your Biometric details taken? is it straight away or is there a waiting list?

i think these are all the questions i had (i know theres alot i apologise),

any help on these issues would be much appreciated,

Craig
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my American wife back to the UK??

You may want to read over on www.uk-yankee.com they know a lot more about bringing a US wife to the UK and the application process. Good luck.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig.johnson1989
ive recently got my married to my fiance of 2 years and we are looking to get her spouse visa to enter the UK,

i have been reading many things on the internet for weeks, some that contradict others and none matching my situation so i thought i had better ask.

Firstly i am flying out to america next week to provide all documents and passports as such but my questions are...

1. Can i fill out the online application form here (the UK) and bring it with me to the states so one thing less to do when im there, or do i have to complete it in her native country (USA).

2. obviously she wont have a job in the UK and i currently earn on average 16-18k a year and i am self employed, is there a benchmark on how much you have to earn to be a sponsor? and is being self employed a disadvantage as it is not steady income?
3. We are planning on living with my parents for a while so i understand from reading on the net i will have to provide a letter from my parents explaining they are letting me live there? correct? and is it just a simple letter with there signature?

4. i cannot find a definitive list of all documents i will need to send to the UK embassy in New York so far i have :
..2 passport photos

5. After the application how long on average does it take to get an appointment to get your Biometric details taken? is it straight away or is there a waiting list?

Craig
There's a recent thread just below yours that gives some insight into your point #2 above.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739101

These questions come up a fair bit so I'm sure someone will come along with more specific links to other threads - I think there's a "UK Yankee" forum that also has helpful information. I don't know the link but others on here visit the site so they will presumably come along with the link.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Number 2, there isn't a set minimum income atm but try to get in there before 1st April as it is all changing then and you will probably find you do not earn enough under the new rules.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

..2 passport photos

Craig
Your wife has to make the application online in her country of residence at:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/visiting-uk/visas/

Or you can apply inside the UK:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...pplying-in-uk/

The VAFA4 form and guidance notes will explain what documents you need to present. The current wait times for each consualte are posted online.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 2nd 2011 at 10:21 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Your parents will need to give you something to prove they have the right to occupy the home in which your wife will be living. Usually the deed/lease/mortgage statement. You need her bank statement too as well as yours. And she'll need to provide her actual passport not just a copy because they put the visa sticker in it.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

DDL has been a regular and informative poster on this forum. She is a US Citizen and moved to UK from USA with her British husband some months back.

If you check out this link, you will find a post where she has listed all the documentation she required for her Settlement Visa, or Spouse visa as I think it is called sometimes.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=DDL&page=23

Good luck!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

..2 passport photos

Craig
One of the things immigration officals look for is marriages of convenience. Less than 4 years is the time limit when you may come under scrutiny (i.e. if you have been married 4 years or more your wife can apply directly for ILR). Therefore, it is a good idea, to support your application, if you can present photographs of you both together and letters showing that you have a past history together going back as far as possible.

I sponsored my wife from Toronto and it took 2 weeks to get approval. Times may vary depending on the complexity of your situation.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

From the USA I think they have an express service that costs another $300 but you can get the visa in one week. US/UK marriages don't usually come under that much scrutiny.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Squirrel
From the USA I think they have an express service that costs another $300 but you can get the visa in one week. US/UK marriages don't usually come under that much scrutiny.
My wife and I went ahead and paid $300 as we wanted the result ASAP. We got her visa within 18 hours yesterday after they acknowledged receiving our application.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by manny1980
My wife and I went ahead and paid $300 as we wanted the result ASAP. We got her visa within 18 hours yesterday after they acknowledged receiving our application.
Great result, congratulations!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Great result, congratulations!
Thank you We just got her application package returned to us today...exactly a week when we mailed it to them. We were concern about the visa stamp as we have been married for 4+ years but fortunately they placed correct visa stamp on her passport and now we are all set to go.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

Manny what was the visa stamp