Paternal grandfather born in the UK

Old Aug 8th 2022, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

VSandes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paternal grandfather born in the UK

My paternal grandfather was born in the UK. He only moved to South Africa when he met my South African grandmother during the 2nd World War. He was a member of the British Army at the time. I was born in South Africa in 1978 - my mother & father were still married at the time.

Both my maternal grandparents held British passports because my grandfather, although born in SA, studied & lived in the UK, and eventually joined the RAF & also fought in WW2. My grandmother (born in SA) obtained her British citizenship by her marriage to my grandfather.

Neither my mother nor father ever applied for British citizenship so they both hold SA passports only.

Am I eligible to apply for British citizenship through my grandparents?
Old Aug 8th 2022, 10:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paternal grandfather born in the UK

In which years were your parents born?
Old Aug 9th 2022, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In which years were your parents born?
Hi BritInParis. My mum was born in 1953 and my father in 1947.
Old Aug 13th 2022, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Tate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BIP, just curious as to the relevance of DOB of grandparent? Cheers, Tate
Old Sep 14th 2022, 11:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VSandes
Hi BritInParis. My mum was born in 1953 and my father in 1947.
Were either of your grandfathers still serving in the military when either of your parents were born?
Old Sep 14th 2022, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tate
Hi BIP, just curious as to the relevance of DOB of grandparent? Cheers, Tate
Not particularly relevant given we can assume all four would’ve been born prior to 1949.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Were either of your grandfathers still serving in the military when either of your parents were born?
No, since the war was over by the time my parents were born.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 11:03 pm

Is it your intention to move to the UK or simply obtain a British passport for ease of travel?
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Is it your intention to move to the UK or simply obtain a British passport for ease of travel?
I don’t want to move to the UK now. But I want to be able to travel with more ease internationally - a South African passport is a nightmare with all the visas and paper work required to go ANYWHERE. It’s also costly applying for visas all the time! I travel quite a bit so it would be lovely to travel with more ease. I also would love to have the option to move to the UK with ease when I am eventually ready to go. My husband has a British passport (passed down from his father) and we have a lot of family in the UK and Europe.