Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK Passports for two children born in the US through a British Father

UK Passports for two children born in the US through a British Father

Old Sep 18th 2022, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

pokedmund is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passports for two children born in the US through a British Father

Hi everyone,

So I just wanted to confirm if I am going about things the right way. I am a British Citizen by birth (parents are British, but were from HK - BNO?).
I live in the US and have two kids, 2 and 4. They both have US passports.

I'm going to try and complete two passport applications for them at the same time, believing that because I am a British Citizen, then it gets passed to my kids.
The thing I'm not 100% clear on, is the supporting documents.

The online application requires my child's birth certificate (I have the original, no problem) and my birth certificate (I have a certified copy, which I believe should be fine even though the website states only original documents are allowed).

I'm really confused with the grandparent documents. So the application requires both, my parents and my in law's original birth certificates as well as their marriage certificates. I've been told that just sending my parents marriage and birth certificates will be fine, but is this true?

Also, what is the best way to start two applications, at the same time, but making sure that the government office refers to the same supporting documents (since both my kids supporting documents are going to be identical, apart from THEIR birth certificates. Is there a way to let the government office know that they can refer to the same support documents? (maybe like a letter to say -> refer to supporting documents A for child A and B).
Just trying to figure out how I go about this, I think I understand the process of applying for two passports at the same time, but would be grateful if someone could point out any flaws (particularly whether I need to send my inlaws documents).

Much appreciated
Old Sep 18th 2022, 9:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passports for two children born in the US through a British Father

Were you born in the UK?
Old Sep 18th 2022, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: UK Passports for two children born in the US through a British Father

I was born in the UK, yes
Old Sep 18th 2022, 11:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What year were you born? If you were born after 1 January 1983 what status did your parents hold at the time of your birth?
Old Sep 18th 2022, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering what your motivation is for getting them UK passports? They will always have UK citizenship by decent if they want to exercise it later in life. A US passport is good for up to 6 months, visa-free, visiting the UK, and since 2019 US citizens get to use the UK citizen border gates. If you plan on moving back to the UK at some point, then of course it makes sense.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What year were you born? If you were born after 1 January 1983 what status did your parents hold at the time of your birth?
Born before 1983. Unsure about my parents status, but I presume they were British citizens by then (but not certain).
Old Sep 18th 2022, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Expatrian
Just wondering what your motivation is for getting them UK passports? They will always have UK citizenship by decent if they want to exercise it later in life. A US passport is good for up to 6 months, visa-free, visiting the UK, and since 2019 US citizens get to use the UK citizen border gates. If you plan on moving back to the UK at some point, then of course it makes sense.
Yes, the plan is to return maybe next year. Just want my kids to school in the UK until they reach university age
Old Sep 18th 2022, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by pokedmund
Born before 1983. Unsure about my parents status, but I presume they were British citizens by then (but not certain).
Okay, in that case, we don’t need to worry about them. You should only need to provide your children’s birth certificates and your own. Your parents’ documents only come into play if you were born in or after 1983.

I’d send the applications together and make it clear that they are relying on one set of supporting documents for both applications. As such you write both reference numbers on the outside of the envelope and include a covering letter as well.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 12:33 am
Just Joined

That makes sense when you put it that way. I wonder if putting in my wife's details (who is only a US citizen) triggered the need for additional documents from the grand parents.

Thanks for the advice on the cover letter and placing two application numbers on the envelope, that sounds logical to me
Old Sep 19th 2022, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense when you put it that way. I wonder if putting in my wife's details (who is only a US citizen) triggered the need for additional documents from the grand parents.

Thanks for the advice on the cover letter and placing two application numbers on the envelope, that sounds logical to me
The list of supporting documents that they generate is not always accurate. My child was born in the UK and I am a citizen. I recently applied for the child's passport and the document list included birth and marriage certificates for both sets of grandparents, despite the child being a citizen by birth. It's probably because you are applying from the USA.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 5:00 am
Just Joined

BritInParis jmin

Sorry, one last question:

The supporting documents also requested:
  • full colour copy (every page including blank pages) of any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled
Like, my kids have US passports which they only received a couple of months ago, never been used. Do I need to send a copy of each passport and all blank pages (actually more concerned at the cost of colour printing them).
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

BritInParis jmin

Sorry, one last question:

The supporting documents also requested:
  • full colour copy (every page including blank pages) of any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled
Like, my kids have US passports which they only received a couple of months ago, never been used. Do I need to send a copy of each passport and all blank pages (actually more concerned at the cost of colour printing them).
Yes, you need to send a full colour copy of every page of their American passports if that is what they request. Although it's irritating, it also allows you to keep their passports during the application process. Where I live in Europe, print shops cannot - by law - produce colour copies of identity documents. As a result, I purchased an inexpensive colour printer. In the USA you can purchase a Canon PIXMA injket printer for $54 on amazon and the colour cartridge is supposed to last up to 100 pages. One standard sized American passport would require 18 pages (32 pages but 16 since two at a time, plus front and back and identity pages). Amazon has a satisfaction guarantee.

I had to do this again a month ago and it's tedious.

Last edited by jmin; Sep 22nd 2022 at 10:59 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 11:00 am

It’s worth noting that if you forget to send said copies that your passport will still be forthcoming.