Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Parents wont cosponsor fiance for K1 - looks like Im moving to UK.

Parents wont cosponsor fiance for K1 - looks like Im moving to UK.

Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

katrinacov is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Parents wont cosponsor fiance for K1 - looks like Im moving to UK.

Well I have the I-129f packet all ready to be mailed off, but parents will nto co sponsor my fiance for K1 visa.

So it looks like I will be moving to England. Fiance is gutted...he really wanted to move to the USA.

Any suggestions from pple from England for me moving there?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents wont cosponsor fiance for K1 - looks like Im moving to UK.

I assume the following:

1. You don't have enough income and/or assets yourself? (I know, too obvious...lol)

2. You can't find any one else to be a sponsor? It does not have to be a family member.

3. He does not have enough in savings to "self-sponsor" on the I-134? Still, even if he did, you'll be faced with the same problem on the I-864, unless his savings would still be available at that time, and it's the right amount.

For information on moving to the UK, go to www.uk-yankee.com. They have a similar forum to this one, but going the other direction (US to UK).

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:19 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by katrinacov
Well I have the I-129f packet all ready to be mailed off, but parents will nto co sponsor my fiance for K1 visa.

So it looks like I will be moving to England. Fiance is gutted...he really wanted to move to the USA.

Sorry to hear that - there's no one else that would help you? It doesn't have to be a relative - any other LPR or US citizen who is willing to do it and meets the criteria.

Conversely, there is an entire forum dedicated to moving to the UK (see link from Noorah).
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

it's a great place, enjoy it.

seriously.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

katrinacov is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
it's a great place, enjoy it.

seriously.
Well coincidentally enuf I will be moving from Ohio to Manchester...I see urs is the opposite. LOL
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:05 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Well coincidentally enuf I will be moving from Ohio to Manchester...I see urs is the opposite. LOL
My hubby is from the Manchester area and it is brilliant! You will love it... check out the uk-yankee.com forum.

You can apply for the UK visa online...suggestion though..have him come here on the VWP and get married here, apply for the spousal immigrant visa, shouldnt take long if you have the assests! Good luck and if you are EVER in St Helens, stop at Geno's on Duke Street for Doner Kebab!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:13 pm
Banned

ajb1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might I ask even though it's none of my business why won't they co sign for you? Can they not afford to do so or do they think he just wants the green card?

If your parents CANT afford it then can't this guy contribute to the pot does he have nothing he can sell and wire you the money? Can't he just stay in the U.S for a while work put money in and just status that way?

Last edited by ajb1701; Apr 16th 2010 at 11:27 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:47 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajb1701
Might I ask even though it's none of my business why won't they co sign for you? Can they not afford to do so or do they think he just wants the green card?

If your parents CANT afford it then can't this guy contribute to the pot does he have nothing he can sell and wire you the money? Can't he just stay in the U.S for a while work put money in and just status that way?
Her fiancee would have to be authorized to work here, hence needing a visa, a work visa has a lengthy wait time. On a k-1 only the first 90 days until EAD or AOS approval, is time that he could work. Otherwise he would need a cr-1 to be able to work on admittance...if he came here and worked illegally... well, thats just illegal.

She would need to find a co-sponsor or they would have to have assets.... otherwise, moving to the UK would be a better option for her with the opportunity to relocate to the US at a later date.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:38 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ajb,

Or, do they just not want to assume the risk of being financially responsible for an immigrant. I wouldn't, and I wouldn't ask someone else to do so either. When my wife immigrated I did not petition for her until after I became able to meet both the immigration requirements and the practical day-to-day financial requirements of living in the USA on my own.

I don't know the answer to the first question, but the answer to the second is probably 'no'.

Regards, JEff
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Katrina

Sorry to join the thread late but I was away. I'm not popular with my shot from the hip replies and will apologize if you take offense at my words. They are the words of a mother, and a woman who has been there, done that and would like to see all posters happily married to the person you love and living good and fruitful lives.

I cringed when I saw that you said your UK Citizen fiancee was "gutted" because he really wanted to live in the US. Is it you that he loves or does he love the idea of living in the US? Is he hesitant about your moving to the UK to live there and perhaps never moving to the US during his lifetime? I say this because you will find people here who give the advice to people asking how to immigrate to the US who have no other way of securing a working/living visa to marry an American. Nowhere do they say they should be in love with this American but that they should go out and chat up one and start a romance as a means to immigrating to the US. This might not be what they mean in actuality but that is how it appears.

During my tenure on this forum (13 years now), I have seen many US citizens, male and female, used by foreign citizens as a stepping stone into the US. They feign the romance, marry, get their green card and they up and leave the US Citizen in emotional and financial distress. I dont' want to see this happen to you and/or anyone else.

Then there is the issue of the Affidavit of Support. You will need to complete one as well as your joint sponsor. We will call you the primary sponsor and the joint sponsor is the secondary sponsor. Even if you married and later divorced both the primary and secondary sponsors remain liable for any means tested benefits your husband may receive. Even if he marries another US Citizen. You both are still on the hook. Even after five years when he is able to apply for welfare, etc. you still have to repay those funds even to him if the government chooses to come after you for repayment. That sucks big time.

The only way to nullify the I-864 is if your husband works 40 sanctioned quarters under social security OR becomes a US Citizen OR dies OR the sponsor dies OR he leaves the US OR the USCIS takes his residency away from him.

So I can clearly see where your father, who is retired and living on a fixed income, might not want to sign the affidavit of support. That is a very large responsibility.

Now on to you going to live in the UK. You have a major issue because you have a child. You cannot just take your daughter out of the US to live in the UK without permission from her father. Unless, of course, the father is not listed on her birth certificate.

You have a lot to think about and a lot to research. I wish you nothing but the best and happiness. Finding the one you love is wonderful.

P.S. For the record, in the past and very recently we have seen how US Citizens have used and abused foreign spouses physically, financially and emotionally. Discarding them when the money has run out of the foreign spouse's accounts or the novelty of a new romance has faded. So it is a two way street.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Katrina

Sorry to join the thread late but I was away. I'm not popular with my shot from the hip replies and will apologize if you take offense at my words. They are the words of a mother, and a woman who has been there, done that and would like to see all posters happily married to the person you love and living good and fruitful lives.

I cringed when I saw that you said your UK Citizen fiancee was "gutted" because he really wanted to live in the US. Is it you that he loves or does he love the idea of living in the US? Is he hesitant about your moving to the UK to live there and perhaps never moving to the US during his lifetime? I say this because you will find people here who give the advice to people asking how to immigrate to the US who have no other way of securing a working/living visa to marry an American. Nowhere do they say they should be in love with this American but that they should go out and chat up one and start a romance as a means to immigrating to the US. This might not be what they mean in actuality but that is how it appears.

During my tenure on this forum (13 years now), I have seen many US citizens, male and female, used by foreign citizens as a stepping stone into the US. They feign the romance, marry, get their green card and they up and leave the US Citizen in emotional and financial distress. I dont' want to see this happen to you and/or anyone else.

Then there is the issue of the Affidavit of Support. You will need to complete one as well as your joint sponsor. We will call you the primary sponsor and the joint sponsor is the secondary sponsor. Even if you married and later divorced both the primary and secondary sponsors remain liable for any means tested benefits your husband may receive. Even if he marries another US Citizen. You both are still on the hook. Even after five years when he is able to apply for welfare, etc. you still have to repay those funds even to him if the government chooses to come after you for repayment. That sucks big time.

The only way to nullify the I-864 is if your husband works 40 sanctioned quarters under social security OR becomes a US Citizen OR dies OR the sponsor dies OR he leaves the US OR the USCIS takes his residency away from him.

So I can clearly see where your father, who is retired and living on a fixed income, might not want to sign the affidavit of support. That is a very large responsibility.

Now on to you going to live in the UK. You have a major issue because you have a child. You cannot just take your daughter out of the US to live in the UK without permission from her father. Unless, of course, the father is not listed on her birth certificate.

You have a lot to think about and a lot to research. I wish you nothing but the best and happiness. Finding the one you love is wonderful.

P.S. For the record, in the past and very recently we have seen how US Citizens have used and abused foreign spouses physically, financially and emotionally. Discarding them when the money has run out of the foreign spouse's accounts or the novelty of a new romance has faded. So it is a two way street.
Katrina if I were in your position short of going on the Jeremy Kyle show for a lie detector test to find out the guy really loves you or not or if just wants to get into the states on your back For those who don't know what the Jeremy Kyle show is it's a morning talk show were guests confront each other about their problem is a bit like Jerry Springer they get all the scum of England coming on wanting lie detector DNA tests on the parentage of a child family feuds all swearing at each other accusing back and forth Kyle lecturing away at them like he is a big brave man in reality he just coward he wouldn't speak to any of them like they outside his studio without all the big security men with him. Moving on it's not an option for you clearly. Short of this I would just tell the guy I can't sponsor you to move to America we will work something out and see if he will still love you? There is no way to get the guy to take a polygraph is there?

Last edited by ajb1701; Apr 18th 2010 at 11:42 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:32 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

^^ Just ignore it.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TracyTN
^^ Just ignore it.
Ok yes Jeremy Kyle is a bad example to use but I think a few of us are thinking the same thing here. There is no realistic way to establish whether the guy really loves her or her passport a lie detector test will never happen the reason immigration doesn't polygraph marriage applicants is because too many people would probably fail it so it is a real easy way into the states most marriages are not even looked at that closely by all accounts

So how can the OP best proceed? She either has to say to the guy what I advised or something to that effect and then she will know, like rete said she could be his only chance to live in the states. Or get a co signer who will be on the hook for years for the guy financially or wait a couple more years and see if u can improve the financial situation but there is no gaurantee that will improve. She hasn't said whether he has assets he can bring to the table and if he doesn't want her to move to England and again she hasn't said he does or doesn't

Let me ask you Tracy would you do the same thing I have advised Katrina to do if you were in this situation? We can't further advise until she posts back her thoughts

Last edited by ajb1701; Apr 19th 2010 at 1:07 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ok yes Jeremy Kyle is a bad example to use. Let me ask you Tracy would you do the same thing I have advised Katrina to do if you were in this situation. She must have doubts or she wouldn't be here

No, I would never do the same thing that you suggested and in no way did Katrina voice any doubts as to his feelings for her personally. I picked up on a "perhaps" problem with the useage of the term "gutted" and expounded on that in my reply to Katrina.

I've not gone back to view the circumstances of your immigration status to the US and if it is marriage based did you do what you suggested?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
No, I would never do the same thing that you suggested and in no way did Katrina voice any doubts as to his feelings for her personally. I picked up on a "perhaps" problem with the useage of the term "gutted" and expounded on that in my reply to Katrina.

I've not gone back to view the circumstances of your immigration status to the US and if it is marriage based did you do what you suggested?
We can't really offer further advice until she answers the question u raised in your posting? I think you have been taken aback by that word. I think you need a more detailed posting from the OP before you can offer further advice

Last edited by ajb1701; Apr 19th 2010 at 1:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.