Non EEA spouse travelling in Europe - Schengen visa?

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non EEA spouse travelling in Europe - Schengen visa?

Assuming all goes well and DH gets his ILR, does anyone know the correct process for him to travel within Europe?

He'll need to travel as part of his new job so I'm trying to find out what's required.

As I understand it, if we were travelling together he wouldn't necessarily need a visa, but since he will be travelling alone I guess it would be a Schengen visa? Also, since it would be to more than one European country, can he get a multiple entry visa?

Sorry to be such a dunce about this, but between all the arrangements for us moving back, the problems arranging the kitties travelling papers and 2 small children, I think I'm about to have a meltdown!

Many thanks for any help/experience you can offer.

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:29 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Non EEA spouse travelling in Europe - Schengen visa?

ILR will make no difference to EEA travel. EEA regulations allow for free movement in the UK with a UK spouse, however in reality many airlines want to see a visa so it is often easier to apply for a free visa if you are both travelling together. Many campaigners will tell you that you do not have to have one and only the marriage certificate and the fact you are together should be enough. Whilst this is the case - if you do not want any hassle and the trip is important I would suggest applying for a free visa - we have for peace of mind for trips to France and Germany

Your post suggests spouse will be travelling without you therefore if the country requires a visa then he must apply, some companies are able to secure a multi entry visas (long validity) so if he is working for one of them he may get one,it is sometimes called a red carpet visa. These are for big multinational companies who have a good record. If not he may have to apply each time until he builds up a profile that the country of entry are happy with and they issue a longer one. You can travel within Schengen on a visa issued for say France as long as you enter in France and do not overstay the validity shown. It is important to enter the country you stated would be the point of entry or main country of travel as you may encounter problems at future requests. Schengen countries share their information. So if you apply to travel to France and then decide to go to Germany and never enter France it may be hard to apply again.

Last edited by pennylessinindia; Jul 3rd 2012 at 10:39 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all of the information pennyless, you're a

I think it's best if he has a chat with the company and see's what sort of help they can/will offer. They are a large multinational so perhaps the 'red carpet' visa may be possible....I guess we'll see!

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the problem? My non EU wife has full ILR and travels back and forth all the time without me. She's probably done 10 trips at least without me, with no hassle whatsoever. She just takes her passport with her ILR visa in it.

What am I missing here
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
My non EU wife has full ILR and travels back and forth all the time without me. She's probably done 10 trips at least without me, with no hassle whatsoever. She just takes her passport with her ILR visa in it.

What am I missing here
You're missing relevant nationality - your wife is South Korean (and maybe Australian?) and they don't need a visa to enter the Schengen area. The OPs husband is Egyptian, and they do need a visa to enter the Schengen area.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You're missing relevant nationality - your wife is South Korean (and maybe Australian?) and they don't need a visa to enter the Schengen area. The OPs husband is Egyptian, and they do need a visa to enter the Schengen area.
Ah I see, sorry, didn't realise that. For immigration purposes my wife is Australian only, South Koreans are made to give up their SK passport upon taking up another citizenship.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:51 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

"EEA regulations allow for free movement in the UK with a UK spouse, however in reality many airlines want to see a visa so it is often easier to apply for a free visa if you are both travelling together. "
NB it should read
EEA regulations allow for free movement in the EU with a UK spouse, however in reality many airlines want to see a visa so it is often easier to apply for a free visa if you are both travelling together.