Having a baby outside the UK

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:42 am
Just Joined

yaysin98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a baby outside the UK

I am a British national by descent, my grandfather was a British citizen, he left the UK and came to live in Egypt and got married here, my father was born here. My father got the British nationality and after he got married, I was born also here in Egypt and got the British nationality.

From what I’ve heard is that after the 3rd generation is born outside the UK, the following descendants are not eligible to gain the British nationality.
Does this apply only to children born outside of the UK? I mean that now that I’m married to a Canadian and my wife is pregnant, if I take her to the UK and she gives birth over there, will my born baby get the nationality or not?

If anyone has an answer please let me know because I want my baby to earn the nationality especially that I’m planning on moving to the UK next year.

Also please let me know if my wife needs to prepare any documents or apply for anything before we both travel.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:21 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Having a baby outside the UK

Originally Posted by yaysin98
I am a British national by descent, my grandfather was a British citizen, he left the UK and came to live in Egypt and got married here, my father was born here. My father got the British nationality and after he got married, I was born also here in Egypt and got the British nationality.

From what I’ve heard is that after the 3rd generation is born outside the UK, the following descendants are not eligible to gain the British nationality.
Does this apply only to children born outside of the UK? I mean that now that I’m married to a Canadian and my wife is pregnant, if I take her to the UK and she gives birth over there, will my born baby get the nationality or not?

If anyone has an answer please let me know because I want my baby to earn the nationality especially that I’m planning on moving to the UK next year.

Also please let me know if my wife needs to prepare any documents or apply for anything before we both travel.
Your Canadian wife can not just travel to the UK and give birth there. She is not entitled to medical treatment as a visitor. If she wishes to have private medical treatment and you pay for the delivery then she should apply for a visitor visa - medical.

If your baby does not become a British Citizen at birth it can apply when your wife applies for settlement and could become a citizen at a later date

I am sure JAJ will come along soon and tell you about British Nationality so will let him advise you.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to clarify how YOU got your British nationality, since in another thread you said you obtained British nationality by naturalisation which would make answers to your questions quite different than if you were British by descent. (Which I don't think you can be, since your father was British by descent and you were born in Egypt).

Have you lived in the UK and did you obtain British nationality while there?.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:09 am
Just Joined

yaysin98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly i thought both words were the same, anyways i was born in egypt, so was my dad!! I never lived in the uk. Please tell me what info u need so we can know the difference
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

As you have never lived in UK why does it matter whether your child has UK citizenship or not? And, no, you would have to have lived in UK for 5 years before your child would be entitled to UK citizenship as you have it by descent. Your wife wouldnt be able to just rock up and have a baby in UK either - she isnt entitled to the medical care.

Looks to me like you struck lucky, UK citizenship only goes down one generation as a rule and a citizen by descent cannot pass it on unless they have lived in UK for some time.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:55 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Having re read the OPs other posts it is a little unclear how he got his British Citizenship, unless at some point his father was resident in the UK or something rather unusual that he is not sharing or does not know.

But whatever way it was issued his wife still can not just travel to the UK for a delivery as a visitor!!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly i thought both words were the same, anyways i was born in egypt, so was my dad!! I never lived in the uk. Please tell me what info u need so we can know the difference
According to your posts your father obtained his British citizenship through his father, since his father (your grandfather) was of British nationality. Your father was born in Egypt.

You were born in Egypt - however your father could not have passed on his British citizenship to you, since British by descent can only be passed on to one generation.

So how are you a British citizen? Have you got a British passport, when were you born, is your mother British?

It does not sound as though your child can obtain British citizenship through you, and your Canadian wife cannot visit the UK to give birth. Even if that were to happen your child would still not have British citizenship, as being born in the UK does not automatically confer British citizenship.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jul 4th 2012 at 4:15 pm.