Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Are my South African children eligible for a British Passport?

Are my South African children eligible for a British Passport?

Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Lizzy84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are my South African children eligible for a British Passport?

Hi All,

I have right of abode with a British Passport. I have been in and out the country several times and have a NI number.

I was born in South Africa, married a South African and have 2 young children. We want to move to the UK to live and work.

I understand that I need to support my husband initially but can I apply for my children to have British passports through descent?

As I mentioned I was born in S.A., my mother was born and lived in UK.

Thank you for your advice and help.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 7:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are my South African children eligible for a British Passport?

As a British citizen by descent then your children are not automatically entitled to British citizenship. If you lived in the UK for at least three consecutive years before the birth of your children then they would be eligible to be registered as British citizens by descent. If not then your children will need settlement visas. After three years of living in the UK together as a family you can register your children as British citizens. This would be preferable in the long term as they would be given British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning they could automatically pass it on to their own children regardless of where they are born.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Lizzy84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are my South African children eligible for a British Passport?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As a British citizen by descent then your children are not automatically entitled to British citizenship. If you lived in the UK for at least three consecutive years before the birth of your children then they would be eligible to be registered as British citizens by descent. If not then your children will need settlement visas. After three years of living in the UK together as a family you can register your children as British citizens. This would be preferable in the long term as they would be given British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning they could automatically pass it on to their own children regardless of where they are born.
Thank you very much. Looking forward to our new venture.