My kids were born abroad - a quick question

Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

TomBassman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My kids were born abroad - a quick question

So glad I found this forum after wading through British Gov websites - I just have a simple question which I hope the good people here can help me with

My parents were both born in England, I was born in England and I now live in Taiwan with a Taiwanese wife and 2 young kids who were born in Taiwan.

We have no plans to move back to UK in the near future but I want to make sure my kids are British citizens - they already have British passports and we regularly go back to the UK to visit my family.

With immigration laws changing and lots of drastic things happening in the UK what should I do to make sure they will have no problems in the future and are 100% British citizens with access to health, education just like any other British kids?

thank you, Tom
Old Mar 15th 2017, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My kids were born abroad - a quick question

Well your children are British citizens, so barring them doing something foolish such as going to Syria to join ISIL, there is no mechanism for the British government to strip them of their British citizenship.

The only thing you could do which you haven't mentioned doing, is to register their births with the British consular service, because a consular registration of birth is generally considered to be more certain than a mere passport application as the registration of birth represents a permanent record of your children's parents and lineage, and therefore provides proof that they are British.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 7:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki
Old Mar 15th 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomBassman
So glad I found this forum after wading through British Gov websites - I just have a simple question which I hope the good people here can help me with

My parents were both born in England, I was born in England and I now live in Taiwan with a Taiwanese wife and 2 young kids who were born in Taiwan.

We have no plans to move back to UK in the near future but I want to make sure my kids are British citizens - they already have British passports and we regularly go back to the UK to visit my family.

With immigration laws changing and lots of drastic things happening in the UK what should I do to make sure they will have no problems in the future and are 100% British citizens with access to health, education just like any other British kids?

thank you, Tom
Tom

Your children are British Citizen by descent, which means that they cannot automatically pass on their British Citizenship to their children (your grandchildren) born outside the UK.

With regards to education, university funding is based on residence as well as nationality. Your British Citizen children can still be class as international students (and pay international fees) if they have not lived in the UK for a period of three years before the start of the course.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

TomBassman is an unknown quantity at this point

@Pulaski
thank you for the reply, that's what I needed to know,
appreciated

BritInParis
thanks for the link, this site is a godsend, wish I'd found it earlier

HKG3
that's good to know, thanks for taking the time

thanks all, this site is great!
Old Mar 16th 2017, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomBassman
@Pulaski
thank you for the reply, that's what I needed to know,
appreciated

BritInParis
thanks for the link, this site is a godsend, wish I'd found it earlier

HKG3
that's good to know, thanks for taking the time

thanks all, this site is great! ....
You're welcome, glad to have been of assistance.