Returning with my spouse

Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Maddox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning with my spouse

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well!

Wondering if anybody has any information on returning to the UK with my American spouse. I've been over here for 4 years, working as self employed designer. I would plan to continue this upon moving home. I work for companies in the US as well as the UK. I earn well over the threshold for bringing a spouse home but do not have £64,000 saved. Do they accept "freelancing" as a full time reliable income? If so, what evidence would I need to show?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning with my spouse

Originally Posted by Maddox
Hi guys,

Hope you're all well!

Wondering if anybody has any information on returning to the UK with my American spouse. I've been over here for 4 years, working as self employed designer. I would plan to continue this upon moving home. I work for companies in the US as well as the UK. I earn well over the threshold for bringing a spouse home but do not have £64,000 saved. Do they accept "freelancing" as a full time reliable income? If so, what evidence would I need to show?

Thanks in advance!
From my very limited understanding, in order to satisfy the UK spouse visa financial requirement, you need fulfill just one of the following -

1) earn at lease £18,600 p.a. for the last six months in the UK
2) have savings worth £62,500 for the last six months
3) a mixture of earnings and savings that would satisfy the HO's requirement

Have a look at the pdf file below for more information -

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf
Old Mar 17th 2017, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Maddox is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Old Mar 17th 2017, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I stand to be corrected, but as you say you are self employed in the US,I presume you are registered in the US , not the UK? To apply under the self employement section I believe you need to be registered as self employed in the UK and have at least one full tax years accounts available. Our resident guru Brit in Paris will hopefully see your post and pop along to advise. Being a freelance is one of the most difficult areas as you have to be able to prove that even though you've earned over the threshold in the US , that your income will continue at the required level when you are in the UK. The document linked to by HKG3 does explain how to apply as self employed in detail.

I wish you well and hopefully BIP will have more relevant info for you later.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

elonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond repute

I am a freelancer, with my business being structured via a LTD company.

I was able to submit my Australian accounts alongside proof of continuation of income. To do this, I simply asked my two largest clients to write me a letter detailing our relationship, and how my involvement with them would continue regardless of geographic location. I also submitted detailed information on the nature of my business operation, and how my income is generated. There was no need for me to establish my UK business first.

I'll need to get my head around all this again, We are about to apply for FLR. Ugh. Good luck with your application.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the following document carefully as it gives further details as to what to present for financial evidence, especially for self employment:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence