My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Dec 13th 2013, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Wow ...... so this is what happens when I fall off the face of the earth for a couple of weeks .... lol! It looks like I have a lot to catch up on.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

A new group for those who have completed ss and returning home:

Surinder Singh - Now I am back in the UK - What next?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/194997047373035/
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:02 am
Just Joined

CanadianEnglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I have a quick question...

My husband and I are planning on doing this Surinder Singh route. We were looking for flights into Dublin and the cheapest way seems to be flying into Gatwick on one airline and then getting another flight a couple of hours later on easyjet or ryan air into Dublin. This would require me going through customs.

I was given a generic refusal of entry to the UK due to the "evolving nature" of my relationship and lack of ties to my home country in the summer. I have a new passport since then, due to the marriage and having to change my ID to make Surinder Singh easier (we were advised having my ID in my husbands last name would help). I'm wondering if my refusal of entry will show up to the border agent even with a new passport and passport number and if that will be an issue since we're literally just crossing through customs to get on another plane a couple of hours later?

Or should I just swallow the cost and pay the like 200 more per person and get a connecting flight?
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianEnglish
Hi! I have a quick question...

My husband and I are planning on doing this Surinder Singh route. We were looking for flights into Dublin and the cheapest way seems to be flying into Gatwick on one airline and then getting another flight a couple of hours later on easyjet or ryan air into Dublin. This would require me going through customs.

I was given a generic refusal of entry to the UK due to the "evolving nature" of my relationship and lack of ties to my home country in the summer. I have a new passport since then, due to the marriage and having to change my ID to make Surinder Singh easier (we were advised having my ID in my husbands last name would help). I'm wondering if my refusal of entry will show up to the border agent even with a new passport and passport number and if that will be an issue since we're literally just crossing through customs to get on another plane a couple of hours later?

Or should I just swallow the cost and pay the like 200 more per person and get a connecting flight?
Avoid transiting via UK airports as there have been cases of non-EU spouses being denied a transit visa for the UK even though they had a visa for entry into Ireland.

Skyscanner.net has cheap flights, but check whether the airline requires you to have return flights or not (those these can be quite cheap too if you play around with the dates of travel.

Good luck!
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

It might be helpful if you told us:
-your citizenship
-where you will be flying from
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaoclive
It might be helpful if you told us:
-your citizenship
-where you will be flying from
It won't matter. We've seen it happen to many different nationalities. The was a survey done by Migrants Rights network, who found 70+ at last count who had been refused entry to the UK during their survey period this year. All were married to UK spouses.

As it happens, they're flying from Toronto and were planning on using an airline I use regularly with no issues, but I'm a Brit.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
It won't matter. We've seen it happen to many different nationalities. The was a survey done by Migrants Rights network, who found 70+ at last count who had been refused entry to the UK during their survey period this year. All were married to UK spouses.

As it happens, they're flying from Toronto and were planning on using an airline I use regularly with no issues, but I'm a Brit.
Yep Toronto! But it looks like it might be a lot cheaper for us to fly from Chicago or New York, so we may take that route

But Air Transat (who we were going to use) is fantastic, and we found some direct flights also from Montreal to Paris which then could mean we could go from Paris to Dublin no problem. We're just going to keep playing around with dates and times to avoid the UK airspace as you all suggested in the FB group.

Thanks!

And sorry I didn't include nationality, it was late and I was tired lol. I'm Canadian, husband is English.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

Yep Toronto! But it looks like it might be a lot cheaper for us to fly from Chicago or New York, so we may take that route

But Air Transat (who we were going to use) is fantastic, and we found some direct flights also from Montreal to Paris which then could mean we could go from Paris to Dublin no problem. We're just going to keep playing around with dates and times to avoid the UK airspace as you all suggested in the FB group.

Thanks!

And sorry I didn't include nationality, it was late and I was tired lol. I'm Canadian, husband is English.
Did you take a look at Skyscanner.net? They're showing United Airlines Toronto-Chicago-Dublin in certain dates in January from £504 return (return date set for week after landing).
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Did you take a look at Skyscanner.net? They're showing United Airlines Toronto-Chicago-Dublin in certain dates in January from £504 return (return date set for week after landing).
Hey Dave, saw that! Yeah I think we might be going through there. Does it have to be a return ticket though? The Directive states they can't request a return ticket or financials so we're wondering if it's even worth it to purchase a return.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Hey Dave, saw that! Yeah I think we might be going through there. Does it have to be a return ticket though? The Directive states they can't request a return ticket or financials so we're wondering if it's even worth it to purchase a return.
The Directive doesn't state it, but most airlines say their own rules require it.

It might be worth emailing United if that's who you end up flying with and explaining what you need and pointing out that you would only need one-way.

Email is better than phone because then you can print it and hand it to the check-in staff if they insist you need a return.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

James13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone,

This is my first time posting, and I would just like to say a massive thank you to everyone that has been supplying information here, to say it has been helpful would be a understatement.

A little about myself. I am an Englishman with a Japanese wife. We started our SS adventure on the 26th of December, and have been in Cork for the past month.

I have gone about registering my own business here, but I am wondering when applying for tax registration what should I write? (Sorry if this question is a little daft, but I would rather not make any mistakes.)

Also, when we apply for the stamp 4, what should we include regarding pay slips?

Thank you for your time and any information would be most appreciated.

Regards,

James
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James13
I have gone about registering my own business here, but I am wondering when applying for tax registration what should I write? (Sorry if this question is a little daft, but I would rather not make any mistakes.)
Hi James, have you completed the TR1 Form for self employment?

If self employed, you don't need to submit payslips, you should send the company accounts, bank statements, Self-Assessment Tax Registration from Revenue Office and Company Certificate of Registration – I didn't send the original as the original needs to be displayed on premises.

They will probably ask you for 6 months bank statements when they write to you with your Stamp4 but they can be sent at any time prior to the 6 months processing period.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

James13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Angela,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Before I answer your question can I just say a big thank you again, if it wasn't for you my wife and I would not have undertaken the SS route.

I have not yet completed a TR1 Form for self employment as I am still waiting for my business registration number from the CRO. Is this the same as State Registration number?

Thank you again.

James
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much James, that means a lot.

I'm not sure what the State registration number is to be honest, I haven't heard the term before.

When you send in your TR1, you can backdate the registration to the day the business started, just make sure that you can prove the business was operational though. We had problems with our PPS number so it took us 8 weeks to register but we backdated the business 8 weeks. It takes about 1 week to obtain the registration document from the revenue office and a couple of days for CRO.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

newpin is an unknown quantity at this point

James and others in the same boat,
I want to wish you and your wife all the best!
I hope everything works out for you!
I am an English woman married to a Japanese man living in Japan and stuck here. We can't get back To The UK!
It is pretty depressing , but I have found this thread supportive and encouraging .
Keep us posted on how things are going for you and your wife.

And ditto the thanks to Angela!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.