Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Marriage certificate needs to be apostile for schenegan Visa?

Marriage certificate needs to be apostile for schenegan Visa?

Old May 10th 2019, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Nasera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage certificate needs to be apostile for schenegan Visa?

Originally Posted by Nora_
Hi, sorry for jumping into this thread, I thought if you (non eu citizen) are travelling to Europe with your British spouse from the UK and returning to the UK then there is no need for Schengen Visa.
I was planning to go to Europe with my husband this summer for short break, and take our UK marriage certificate with us, I guess we need visa?
It would depend on which country you are a citizen/national.
LIke for U.S.A/Canada, they have visa free access to visit the European Union anyway but someone from India would need to apply for a Schengen Visa.

That's how I see it anyway.
Old May 10th 2019, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

bookerw100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnxiouslyAnxious
Hello forum , Hope everyone is having a good weekend. It’s been a while since I visited the forum. I and my husband considering of having a little holiday somewhere in Europe and I’m aware that I would need to apply for schenegan visa and I would like to apply as a spouse of eu citizen so we are exempt from visa fee. So to prove relationship with my husband I would have to provide marriage certificate but I’m reading that they need marriage certificate to be registered in eu or to be apostile from foreign ministry is that true? We got married in India and we got marriage certificate of registration from India that we provided for my spouse Visa. I’m disappointed we may not be able to go if that’s the case. Thanks everyone � ����� ���� Happy weekend to all!
There seems to be way to get documents apostilled online, see this link

https://mea.gov.in/apostille.htm

Regardless, will be interested to see the outcome of your application if you not submitting apostilled document to France
Old May 10th 2019, 2:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nora_
Hi, sorry for jumping into this thread, I thought if you (non eu citizen) are travelling to Europe with your British spouse from the UK and returning to the UK then there is no need for Schengen Visa.
I was planning to go to Europe with my husband this summer for short break, and take our UK marriage certificate with us, I guess we need visa?
Technically no, but practically they probably will in the same way a visa national needs an EEA Family Permit to come to the UK with their EU spouse. You can apply at the border but the airline is likely to refuse you boarding without a valid visa in place.
Old May 10th 2019, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

We were travelling to South America with a stopover in Amsterdam. Unfortunately due to weather conditions, there was delays and there were no direct flights for another day. We didn't want to just be at the airport but rather go and spend the night in Ams. I am BC, however my spouse is non EU with no pre arranged shcengen visa.
However when we went to the border authorities, they were ready to admit her if we could show that we had an onward flight and accommodation for the duration we intended to stay in Ams.

But BiP is right, if your sole trip is in a place where you need a visa and you don't have one, airlines won't let you in. Since she didn't need a visa for our ultimate destination, there was no question of schengen visa asked by the airlines as it was meant to be just a stopover.
Old May 10th 2019, 4:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookerw100
We were travelling to South America with a stopover in Amsterdam. Unfortunately due to weather conditions, there was delays and there were no direct flights for another day. We didn't want to just be at the airport but rather go and spend the night in Ams. I am BC, however my spouse is non EU with no pre arranged shcengen visa.
However when we went to the border authorities, they were ready to admit her if we could show that we had an onward flight and accommodation for the duration we intended to stay in Ams.

But BiP is right, if your sole trip is in a place where you need a visa and you don't have one, airlines won't let you in. Since she didn't need a visa for our ultimate destination, there was no question of schengen visa asked by the airlines as it was meant to be just a stopover.
Good tip, but I think you mean 'layover' (in transit) rather than stopover, which means you're actually exiting immigration and staying in that location however briefly.
Old May 10th 2019, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you are right I meant layover/in transit. We had no plans to get out of Amsterdam when we had booked our tickets.
Old May 10th 2019, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

AnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookerw100
There seems to be way to get documents apostilled online, see this link

https://mea.gov.in/apostille.htm

Regardless, will be interested to see the outcome of your application if you not submitting apostilled document to France
Thanks for the link We would eventually get it apostile when I visit India but meanwhile I would travel where it’s not needed and seeing France TLS site hasn’t mention anything about apostile I’m supposing it’s not needed. I have called TLS but haven’t gotten a response yet. It would be helpful if someone could share their experience of applying without Apostile Cert.

Last edited by AnxiouslyAnxious; May 10th 2019 at 5:43 pm.
Old May 10th 2019, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Is your marriage certificate a hard copy from the authorities with a seal and signature by a registrar authority ? Is it in English, or at least in both English and some other language ? I know from recent experience with birth certificates that Indian authorities are increasingly resorting to the use of generation of BMD certification using the online certificate generation process. This might be tricky.

To explain further to those not familiar with this, many urban authorities and progressive states in India are moving to online processes for document authentication or generation, to eliminate graft and forgery. What happens here, e.g. for a birth or marriage certificate, is that you enter the search parameters of the person on the corresponding government's web portal. It validates the information and emits a PDF of the certificate that you print. The authenticity is provided by a timestamp indicating when it was generated (logged on their end) and a unique hash code printed on the document. All that needs to be done is print it. There's no actual signature by hand on it, nor is there a seal. There's just a digital imprint of one.

The authorities using this document can go validate it by going back to the site and entering the hash code into the document search, which then validates the time and date and other parameters associated with the printed copy, authenticating it as an original record.

This is rather new (~10 years), but gaining rapid adoption. However I'm not sure to what extent British or European authorities are familiar with its use. Home Office didn't appear to have any problem with my BC generated in this manner, but I have not needed to use my birth or (US issued) marriage certificate for any sort of visa. Apostilling something generated like this would seem pointless.

Last edited by sun_burn; May 10th 2019 at 9:15 pm.
Old May 10th 2019, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

AnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond reputeAnxiouslyAnxious has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comment. Well our marriage certificate is stamped and signed by marriage registrar . Do you know anyone who has applied with this kind of Cert?
Old May 10th 2019, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comment. Well our marriage certificate is stamped and signed by marriage registrar . Do you know anyone who has applied with this kind of Cert?
I have never had anything apostilled, no. Regarding the online generated marriage certificate, whether or not you can get such an online certificate depends on which jurisdiction recorded your marriage. For example, I know Karnataka, Kerala, TN all have this. Maybe Gujarat and Maharashtra too. You'd need to go to the online portal of the state you married in and look for whether they offer online generated certificates that can be directly authenticated with them online too.
Old May 25th 2019, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Update-: I’m trying to apply for hungry since we eventually agreed on going there. We have booked tickets and accommodation but the problem is I can’t find the VFS hungry appointment date availability until June 28th and our flight is booked for 7th July and that is just not enough time for visa to be processed. What should I do? Anyone know agents or something who provides appointments for schenegan visas?please do let me know. Ugh seems like these visa process never goes smooth with me. Planing a holiday is tooo stressful
Old May 25th 2019, 9:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Update-: I’m trying to apply for hungry since we eventually agreed on going there. We have booked tickets and accommodation but the problem is I can’t find the VFS hungry appointment date availability until June 28th and our flight is booked for 7th July and that is just not enough time for visa to be processed. What should I do? Anyone know agents or something who provides appointments for schenegan visas?please do let me know. Ugh seems like these visa process never goes smooth with me. Planing a holiday is tooo stressful
Oh dear AA, you do make things hard for yourself! Booking flights and accommodation before getting a visa is always a bad idea.

As far as I'm aware there's no way to get an earlier appointment, and a 28 June appointment is almost certainly too late for you given that VFS advise a minimum of 15 working days to process schengen visas for Hungary. The best thing to do is cancel your flight and accommodation bookings (I hope they're transferable to new dates or refundable), keep your 28 June appointment, and rebook the flights and accommodation once you've received the visa.
Old May 28th 2019, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh dear AA, you do make things hard for yourself! Booking flights and accommodation before getting a visa is always a bad idea.

As far as I'm aware there's no way to get an earlier appointment, and a 28 June appointment is almost certainly too late for you given that VFS advise a minimum of 15 working days to process schengen visas for Hungary. The best thing to do is cancel your flight and accommodation bookings (I hope they're transferable to new dates or refundable), keep your 28 June appointment, and rebook the flights and accommodation once you've received the visa.
Hello SOS, Thank you for the response I have booked the 28th June appointment and trying to cancel flights , we will be charged good money for transferring to new dates but that’s all we can do now. Accommodation is refundable so that’s fine. I really thought I had good amount of time to have an appointment as holiday was a month away but I was wrong ! Lesson learnt ! Hopefully I will get the visa (fingers crossed) otherwise I will be soo sooo shattered and Also Hopefully I won’t make more mistakes in future. Have a good Day SOS