Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Marriage certificate doubt - ministry of external affairs?

Marriage certificate doubt - ministry of external affairs?

Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marriage certificate doubt - ministry of external affairs?

My wife contacted me just now as she's got our marriage certificate issued and now will have it translated.

But she's insisting it needs to be taken to the ministry of external affairs to be certified and also translated by a supreme court.

Which is all a very long and expensive process in Uruguay.

I was under the impression just the original issued copy by the registry office and a translation done by a certified translator was required.

Can anyone shed light on this please?

an apostille stamp I believe is what she's talking about. Do we need that?

Last edited by alfista1; Apr 14th 2015 at 12:22 am.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage certificate doubt - ministry of external affairs?

Info from the Appendix FM-SE:
(j) Where any specified documents provided are not in English or Welsh, the applicant must provide the original and a full translation that can be independently verified by the Entry Clearance Officer, Immigration Officer or the Secretary of State. The translation must be dated and include:
(i) confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document;
(ii) the full name and original signature of the translator or an authorised official ofthe translation company;
(iii) the translator or translation company's contact details; and
(iv) if the applicant is applying for leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain, certification by a qualified translator and details of the translator or translation company's credentials.

Nothing about having to get an Apostille stamp.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage certificate doubt - ministry of external affairs?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Info from the Appendix FM-SE:
(j) Where any specified documents provided are not in English or Welsh, the applicant must provide the original and a full translation that can be independently verified by the Entry Clearance Officer, Immigration Officer or the Secretary of State. The translation must be dated and include:
(i) confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document;
(ii) the full name and original signature of the translator or an authorised official ofthe translation company;
(iii) the translator or translation company's contact details; and
(iv) if the applicant is applying for leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain, certification by a qualified translator and details of the translator or translation company's credentials.

Nothing about having to get an Apostille stamp.
Many thanks for that. Yes I haven't found any evidence of a requirement for the apostille stamp either. I did read one thread where in Japan someone had done it. Maybe just for safety measure.

My wife is used to getting everything certified, stamped, signed and stamped again in Uruguay. Was a nightmare trying to get my original birth certificate back. I took it in for the residency, expecting it to be checked and handed back! No they kept it and said its the property of Uruguay now! (My original from birth) Took more than 5 years and involved meetings with the director of the national registry to get that back!
Even when you buy a car it's a process which can take weeks, requires a pubic notary to check and verify the documents and charge about 300 pounds.

She was amazed when I went out and bought 2 cars here in a matter of hours and didn't have to pay a penny for the change of ownership.

Well if it makes her more happy and she can get it done in the moment at the ministry...

Last edited by alfista1; Apr 14th 2015 at 8:06 am.