Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Irish citizen through grandparent needs info on becoming a UK resident for a year

Irish citizen through grandparent needs info on becoming a UK resident for a year

Old Mar 14th 2016, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish citizen through grandparent needs info on becoming a UK resident for a year

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Regarding the Common Travel Area it's quite a stretch to think that Brexit will lead to the end of an arrangement that has been in place since 1923 and that Irish citizens will suddenly lose their unique status in the UK which existed long before any European project. The UK and the RoI are not members of the Schengen Area and so 'open borders' is already a non-issue. It's also worth pointing out that neither the Isle of Man nor the Channel Islands are members of the EU or the EEA but operate quite happily as part of the CTA.
Have a read of the link I gave above to the Irish parliament. The Irish are worried about the CTA agreement in the event of Brexit, as mentioned many times in that report.

Last edited by formula; Mar 14th 2016 at 1:39 am.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish citizen through grandparent needs info on becoming a UK resident for a year

Originally Posted by formula
Have a read of the link I gave above to the Irish parliament. The Irish are worried about the CTA agreement in the event of Brexit, as mentioned many times in that report.
The Irish are very keen for the CTA to continue. I haven't seen anything to make me believe that the UK government hold a contradictory opinion.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:19 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

The Irish are very keen for the CTA to continue. I haven't seen anything to make me believe that the UK government hold a contradictory opinion.
But it makes for good flaming to carry on it about it!

You have to give credit to certain people (here, in the daily rags, and on the telly) for carrying on about the "UK" this and the "UK" that. The UK is sick of benefit scroungers; the UK is sick of migrants: the UK is tired of healthcare tourists.

Same people who proliferate that nationalistic furor often forget what their passport says on the cover. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Poor Wales, Scotland, and the most red-headed step-child of them all - Northern Ireland. I recently had the pleasure of a conversation with a very middle class English woman, who was keen to tell me all about Northern Ireland - "your husband's country" - as she called it. The place where no one sits out in their garden because they'll get a petrol bomb thrown into it. Really?

There is 700 years plus of history between Ireland and England. Not all good but not all bad either. The recent peace process in Northern Ireland has been hard won. I've got American friends who admire this reconciliation. They see it as a historic movement that isn't a "victory" for either side. It's been a process of talks, compromise, set backs - and more compromise. It's starting to look like a model for resolving the broken politics in the US.

I'm going to conclude by saying that I am, frankly, beyond offended to have someone sit on this board and pontificate about what is going to happen to "Ireland" and the CTA if Brexit occurs. The CTA lies between the Republic or Ireland and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. If you want to fan the flames of unrest in the North, then keep talking trash about the UK throwing up a fence along the border. That will do everybody a lot of good. But then, maybe if you are inclined to write that kind of message, you don't give a damn about the people of Northern Ireland. Maybe to you they are just the kind of people who still throw petrol bombs.

Last edited by rebeccajo; Mar 14th 2016 at 10:26 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
But it makes for good flaming to carry on it about it!

You have to give certain people (here, in the daily rags, and on the telly) for carrying on about the "UK" this and the "UK" that. The UK is sick of benefit scroungers; the UK is sick of migrants: the UK is tired of healthcare tourists.

Same people who proliferate that nationalistic furor often forget what their passport says on the cover. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Poor Wales, Scotland, and the most red-headed step-child of them all - Northern Ireland. I recently had the pleasure of a conversation with a very middle class English woman, who was keen to tell me all about Northern Ireland - "your husband's country" - as she called it. The place where no one sits out in their garden because they'll get a petrol bomb thrown into it. Really?

There is 700 years plus of history between Ireland and England. Not all good but not all bad either. The recent peace process in Northern Ireland has been hard won. I've got American friends who admire this reconciliation. They see it as a historic movement that isn't a "victory" for either side. It's been a process of talks, compromise, set backs - and more compromise. It's starting to look like a model for resolving the broken politics in the US.

I'm going to conclude by saying that I am, frankly, beyond offended to have someone sit on this board and pontificate about what is going to happen to "Ireland" and the CTA if Brexit occurs. The CTA lies between the Republic or Ireland and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. If you want to fan the flames of unrest in the North, then keep talking trash about the UK throwing up a fence along the border. That will do everybody a lot of good. But then, maybe if you are inclined to write that kind of message, you don't give a damn about the people of Northern Ireland. Maybe to you they are just the kind of people who still throw petrol bombs.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Who said they were? Have a read of that report from the Irish parliament site.

Last edited by formula; Mar 14th 2016 at 10:32 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Then you better take that up with the Irish government as that report was on their parliament site, as were the quotes and you have been told at least twice. It is obvious that you still haven't bothered to read that Irish parliament report.

Most Irish people are interested in what is happening in Ireland. I'm interested as I am part Irish and still have family there. I bet you didn't think of that when you were typing your rant out.

In that report they were calling for the Irish in Britan to vote to stay in the EU to protect RoI, while saying that they would do all they could to make sure the UK got all they asked for from the EU (which they did).

I did say in this thread that I hoped for the best for Ireland and that they would get all they asked for; the UK to stay in the EU and the end on non-EU citizens using free movement to live in RoI. That was a fairly big clue to the fact that I am part Irish (by blood not marriage).

Last edited by formula; Mar 14th 2016 at 11:03 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Who said they were? Have a read of that report from the Irish parliament site.
I've read the report. The RoI government are keen to ensure that the CTA and the historical privileges that Irish citizens enjoy in the UK continue after a possible future Brexit. Fair enough but there's still no evidence to suggest that the UK government intends to do otherwise either in that report or anything else I've read on the matter.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've read the report. The RoI government are keen to ensure that the CTA and the historical privileges that Irish citizens enjoy in the UK continue after a possible future Brexit. Fair enough but there's still no evidence to suggest that the UK government intends to do otherwise either in that report or anything else I've read on the matter.
That's why I said that I didn't thing they would too, unless RoI were forced to join Schengen, if there still is a Schengen.

On some of the Irish threads on other sites, they were saying that EU may not allow them to keep the CTA in the event of Brexit as Britain would not be a member state. The Irish papers have been full of it too.

You can't blame the Irish government for getting that report out early so they used their influence in the EU to get what the UK they wanted and if not, to think of a solution for the Irish still being able to move to Britain. Britain is a main source of work for the Irish and as you know, they are given the same rights as the Brits when they get here. There are more Irish in Britain than there are in Ireland
Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are more Irish in Britain than there are in Ireland
And there'll be one more there once I do my renouncement. lol
Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rickster000
And there'll be one more there once I do my renouncement. lol

Maybe even more than that if there is to be Brexit. Everyone over quick

Ireland only joined because the UK did. If we leave I hope they come with us.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's also heavily covered in the media that many people who have lived in the UK for years, who have been eligible for Irish citizenship, are going for Irish citizenship.
Up by 128 applications in a year. Would we call that "many"?

Last edited by formula; Mar 15th 2016 at 9:27 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rickster000
Thanks again Forula, you have been very useful.

So it seems that basically all easier access options will be closed and all entry methods are pretty much going to lead to the standard route with the £18.6k requirement.
Apart from what Cameron said about the agreement reached by the UK/EU....

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...-february-2016

"And an end to the ridiculous situation where EU nationals can avoid British immigration rules when bringing their families from outside the EU."

these seem to be some of the new settlement proposals.

"Member States can address specific cases of abuse of free movement rights by Union citizens returning to their Member State of nationality with a non-EU family member where residence in the host Member State has not been sufficiently genuine to create or strengthen family life and had the purpose of evading the application of national immigration rules"

and

"The Commission intends to adopt a proposal to complement Directive 2004/38 on free movement of Union citizens in order to exclude, from the scope of free movement rights, third country nationals who had no prior lawful residence in a Member State before marrying a Union citizen or who marry a Union citizen only after the Union citizen has established residence in the host Member State. Accordingly, in such cases, the host Member State's immigration law will apply to the third country national."

There are also hints that free movement may be changed.

All pinched from another forum.

For those who are interested in reading articles, it can all be read here.

Letter by President Donald Tusk to the Members of the European Council on his proposal for a new settlement for the United Kingdom within the European Union - Consilium

Last edited by formula; Mar 15th 2016 at 10:20 pm.