If The Baby Born in UK

Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:35 am
Just Joined

new_look is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If The Baby Born in UK

I came to UK for visit 2 times in 80s and 1991 for year to study on student visa.

Will they treat my baby application being born in UK on my current states which British citizen by descent, or they will look in the past and looks if baby is entitled or not based on the previous history which I believe its not valid since the day I granted the registration certificate as British Citizen from HM !

I will be renting flat for 4 months during the delivery of my baby.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Do you hold any other nationality that can be passed on to baby? If the child is truely stateless, you may be able to register him as a British citizen even though you are British by descent.
In order to register as a British Citizen under section 4B of the British Nationality Act 1981, the OP would have been holding a form of British nationality (in his case, British Overseas Citizen) with no other form of nationality.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ality-act-1981

Unless the OP acquire another nationality after his registration under section 4B, the OP should not have any other nationality to pass on to his child.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmmk
I came to UK for visit 2 times in 80s and 1991 for year to study on student visa.

Will they treat my baby application being born in UK on my current states which British citizen by descent, or they will look in the past and looks if baby is entitled or not based on the previous history which I believe its not valid since the day I granted the registration certificate as British Citizen from HM !

What I think BiP has in mind is section 3(5) of British Nationality Act 1981. If one of the parent, who is a British Citizen by descent, stayed in the UK for a period of three years or more with no absent from the UK for more than 270 days before the birth of the child can register the child as a British Citizen by descent.

Has the OP consider getting his wife to give birth in Northern Ireland in order to get Irish citizenship for his child?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Dear HKG3

Thank you for your feedback and reading my concern points...

Maybe I think you are pointing at if the baby born out of UK this rules which you mention 3(5) was done it could give the baby registration out of UK

But my plan is to travel to UK with my wife and give the birth in UK, will this still be barrier and point not to get passport for my baby born

Thank you
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

But my plan is to travel to UK with my wife and give the birth in UK, will this still be barrier and point not to get passport for my baby born
The simple answer to that question is yes. Please see section 1(1)(a) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

British Nationality Act 1981

My suggestion is that your wife should give birth in Northern Ireland so that the baby will also have Irish citizenship as well.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

In the following website:

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...-uk-after-1983

it states:

5. Born in the UK after 1983
You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born in the UK after 1 January 1983 and 1 of your parents was a British citizen or settled here at that time. You don’t need to register.

The statement does not say that this situation does not apply where the British citizen is British by descent. (which the OP is)

Therefore, if the OP returns to the UK and his wife gives birth there I don't see why the child would not have British citizenship.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the answer

I study for year in 1990 on student visa and om my British overseas passport

My wife is UAE national

At the moment i have British citizens passport
Dear BritInParis

Is this information affecting my entitlements of obtaining passport for the baby born in UK.

I live in Dubai as it’s my main home and working here as well with my wife, and I am not permanent residence in UK.

Thank you and hope to get in touch soon

If your child is born in the UK then he or she will automatically be a British citizen. The fact that you are not permanently resident in the UK is irrelevant; in fact you don't need to present in the UK at all.

If your child is born in the UAE and would otherwise be stateless then you can apply to have him or her registered as a British citizen at the Home Secretary's discretion under Section 3(1). This would give the child British citizenship by descent. The application process is likely to take several months.

If you choose for your wife to have the child in the UK then bear in that you will need to bear all the costs of the delivery - she would not be entitled to free care on the NHS as a visitor. If you are happy to do this and your wife has already been granted a visitor visa for the UK then this would be the best solution.

I would also recommend your wife gives birth in Northern Ireland as this would entitle your child to both British and Irish citizenship and therefore they would still have EU citizenship even after the UK leaves the EU. Irish citizenship can also be passed on indefinitely down the generations unlike British citizenship.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Dear BritInParis

Thank you for this extreme full details answers and information.... actually it covers all my concerns...

Just last question dear

Since i was BOC previously and currently i am British Citizen

Dose the BOC still valid and has impacts on my nationally statues as british citizen ?

Thank you dear
Old Jul 28th 2016, 7:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Dear BritInParis

Thank you for this extreme full details answers and information.... actually it covers all my concerns...

Just last question dear

Since i was BOC previously and currently i am British Citizen

Dose the BOC still valid and has impacts on my nationally statues as british citizen ?

Thank you dear
No. You are now only a British citizen. The only thing that impacts your status is that as you registered under Section 4B you are considered a British citizen by descent rather than otherwise than by descent which is why you cannot pass on your citizenship automatically to children born outside the UK.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So off to Belfast to have the baby. Good luck. My grand-daughter too is an Irish citizen (with dual nationality).
Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Excellent clarification and information BritInParis !!!

You know - you gave me the answer for my concern which I was worried about.

You should work as adviser dear..

I have made my married certificate translated into English with attestation by the UAE authority, will they need anything extra documents you think ?

Thank you
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:59 am

Excellent clarification and information BritInParis !!!

You know - you gave me the answer for my concern which I was worried about.

You should work as adviser dear..

I have made my married certificate translated into English with attestation by the UAE authority, will they need anything extra documents you think ?

Thank you
For the baby's passports? You'll just need the baby's birth certificate and your S.4B registration certificate. I would apply for both the British and Irish passports if your wife gives birth in Northern Ireland as it will then just be a matter of renewing them at a later date.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you dear

Same required will cover the Irish passport issuance ?

Or need extra documents
Old Jul 30th 2016, 11:14 am

Thank you dear

Same required will cover the Irish passport issuance ?

Or need extra documents
Just the child's birth certificate and your British passport.

Passports for children