Home after 11 years.

Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Home after 11 years.

Originally Posted by dunroving
SS is "pension" - if your SS income will be greater than the minimum, you don't need savings. $36,000 > £18,000. If you read the thread on the new spousal regulations, it's all explained in there. You might want to put the kettle on first.
LOL, kettle on!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdfergus
LOL, kettle on!
Did you get throught it? Looks like you will be OK
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Did you get throught it? Looks like you will be OK
My only question is this. If I understand it correctly that amount is OK if I work. But if it is all I have and do not work then I have to do the 62,000 pounds?

Talk about head scratching !!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:12 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

My only question is this. If I understand it correctly that amount is OK if I work. But if it is all I have and do not work then I have to do the 62,000 pounds?

Talk about head scratching !!!!!
No, pension is income. I think an added advantage of being retired is that non-UK spouse income - pension - can count, whereas for non-retirees only the UK spouse's income can count.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

No, pension is income. I think an added advantage of being retired is that non-UK spouse income - pension - can count, whereas for non-retirees only the UK spouse's income can count.
Yes, that is a huge advantage! If your combined income from SS meets the required yearly amount you are good to go
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, that is a huge advantage! If your combined income from SS meets the required yearly amount you are good to go
Wow, that seems too easy?
Now, can we live in UK on $36000 a year pension? And if so, anyone have any suggestions as to where? I am from Essex (no laughing please) and I know I cannot afford that
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now, can we live in UK on $36000 a year pension? And if so, anyone have any suggestions as to where? I am from Essex (no laughing please) and I know I cannot afford that
I'm not going back to London, so understand that! Do you have any family you have to be near, or can you be free and easy? From what most people have been saying the further north the cheaper, with a few exceptions such as Edinburgh.

We have been looking at Exeter, but have Cardiff as a back-up, not only because it is less expensive than southern England but there are free prescriptions and free bus passes at 60 (with the new pension regs in England I don't qualify for the bus pass until age 66), and all the museums are free like in London, as well as Cardiff Castle.

You could go over to the Location, Location, Location thread for some ideas http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713589

Or you could start your own thread with some specifications of what you are looking for. Probably won't get much response on this thread since it's off-topic.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not going back to London, so understand that! Do you have any family you have to be near, or can you be free and easy? From what most people have been saying the further north the cheaper, with a few exceptions such as Edinburgh.

We have been looking at Exeter, but have Cardiff as a back-up, not only because it is less expensive than southern England but there are free prescriptions and free bus passes at 60 (with the new pension regs in England I don't qualify for the bus pass until age 66), and all the museums are free like in London, as well as Cardiff Castle.

You could go over to the Location, Location, Location thread for some ideas http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713589

Or you could start your own thread with some specifications of what you are looking for. Probably won't get much response on this thread since it's off-topic.
Thank you! I love Wales!! half my family is from S. Wales (though none I would care to see!) I still have cousins in Southend and aunt/uncle in Bedfordhire but that is all. Free prescriptions and bus pass????? I wonder if it is that way in Scotland also, I seem to remember my uncle moaning about it, lol.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That would be about £20,000 (conservative estimate; USD has typically been in the $1.60-$1.70 range per pound). You will get taxed hardly at all on that, so would take home about £1,700 per month.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

That would be about £20,000 (conservative estimate; USD has typically been in the $1.60-$1.70 range per pound). You will get taxed hardly at all on that, so would take home about £1,700 per month.
Mmm...never thought about tax. Wonder if I have to pay tax in US as well?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you! I love Wales!! half my family is from S. Wales (though none I would care to see!) I still have cousins in Southend and aunt/uncle in Bedfordhire but that is all. Free prescriptions and bus pass????? I wonder if it is that way in Scotland also, I seem to remember my uncle moaning about it, lol.
Yes, Scotland and NI also. Here is an awesome video on Cardiff that you might enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1n9MsfFsI
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Scotland and NI also. Here is an awesome video on Cardiff that you might enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1n9MsfFsI
Wales is beautiful. It's where my mother and all my maternal ancestors were born, although a few generations back it goes back to Gloucestershire. I have a relatives there that I have never met. In spite of that, I don't feel much of a connection to it. Perhaps if I had more memories of it or had strong relations with relatives there, I would feel more inclined to move there. The north is gorgeous.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you are more intune with the countryside have a gander at this one. Makes me misty and I'm not even Welsh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0eNEKax_Rc
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

If you are more intune with the countryside have a gander at this one. Makes me misty and I'm not even Welsh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0eNEKax_Rc
Jut beautiful!!! I mentioned that my maternal ancestors were born there and forgot to mention that I was, too!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You do forget what amazing scenery we have right here on our doorstep. Nice pictures in the video.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.