Home after 11 years.

Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:04 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home after 11 years.

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I think great things are going to happen for you Windsong. Heck just look at my own situation. We have to will our own destiny. Of course be careful what you wish for because I can hear myself in your earlier post _ I'll never get a job in the UK etc, or perhaps in a year...and look at what happened to me. Now my turmoil is all wrapped up in oh my god is this really happening, and that fast!! Ultimately, I am so much happier and I know that Nebraska by the Sea now seems tolerable because I have a defined goal/ timeline. When I think back and re-read some of my earlier posts I clearly coem across as a good 'mog' = moaning old git and I'm not that old yet
What does Nebraska by the Sea mean? Often wondered about that.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

i have heard the Aussies refering to Australia as "Gods country" between me and you I think Mid Wales is more "Gods Country" and I'm an Englishman.
But of course, we all know the real God's Own Country is Yorkshire
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:02 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's fairly easy to live an insulated life in the UK too if you live out of cities. Northumberland comes to mind as excellent value for money and stunning scenery.
So true. I am not rich, and I do have to earn a living and pay bills and deal with traffic, but I live in the countryside where traffic congestion means getting behind some sheep on their way to another field and where, when things get too stressful, you can go for a walk and look over the fence at a lovely view - without spending a penny.

If this makes my life insulated, so be it. I'd argue that the ones living an insulated life are those people living in cities, shut in their cars 4 hours a day, and buying meat pre-packaged in the supermarket without ever thinking where it comes from. But it all depends on your perspective I guess.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So true. I am not rich, and I do have to earn a living and pay bills and deal with traffic, but I live in the countryside where traffic congestion means getting behind some sheep on their way to another field and where, when things get too stressful, you can go for a walk and look over the fence at a lovely view - without spending a penny.

If this makes my life insulated, so be it. I'd argue that the ones living an insulated life are those people living in cities, shut in their cars 4 hours a day, and buying meat pre-packaged in the supermarket without ever thinking where it comes from. But it all depends on your perspective I guess.
I SO agree with you!!!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

But of course, we all know the real God's Own Country is Yorkshire
It's certainly gorgeous there, so much so I have put it on my short list
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:30 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

In fact I don't think it's "insulated" either, I was just paraphrasing jimmydean's word from an earlier post. City life can be very constrained, moving from one box to another moving box to a big box and back again (only to watch the box!).
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

It's fairly easy to live an insulated life in the UK too if you live out of cities. Northumberland comes to mind as excellent value for money and stunning scenery.
I'll agree with you there! We've always said if we won the lottery we'd be house shopping in Northumberland tomorrow. It's one part of the country you hardly ever see on the likes of "Escape to the Country" but quite honestly I'd just as soon it remained a well-kept secret so to speak - less crowded.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:13 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I'll agree with you there! We've always said if we won the lottery we'd be house shopping in Northumberland tomorrow. It's one part of the country you hardly ever see on the likes of "Escape to the Country" but quite honestly I'd just as soon it remained a well-kept secret so to speak - less crowded.
We ventured over the border yesterday and headed down to Morpeth. Lovely town with good shopping. Northumberland is indeed a well kept secret. The Alberta tourist board liked it so much that they used a photograph of Bamburgh beach in their marketing material!!!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:33 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by lf1
We ventured over the border yesterday and headed down to Morpeth. Lovely town with good shopping. Northumberland is indeed a well kept secret. The Alberta tourist board liked it so much that they used a photograph of Bamburgh beach in their marketing material!!!
I remember that !
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

What does Nebraska by the Sea mean? Often wondered about that.
Nebraska by the Sea = San Diego - call it my sense of humor. Both are flat, plain and boring hell holes, one has miles of prairies the other miles of scrub desert, one has snow the other lots of sun - not much difference other than that. Oh and the natives mentalities are about the same in both places Imho.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:38 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=windsong;10581078]Thank you Some days it is more difficult than others to have this positive attitude but I am going to do my best. One thing is for sure - if I don't at least try, nothing will happen.

I totally agree ! That is what I have been thinking for the past few months....I have to try, because not only with nothing happen, I would also spend the rest of my life wondering 'what if'.

I'm not afraid of hard work and I'm not afraid to try! I know things won't be easy because I am essentially going back to a country where I know no-one, I have no friends from childhood and where I have no network of friends or former work colleagues who I can call on for help. But these challenges only make me stronger. I did the same when I came to the USA from Australia. The only person I knew was my husband, and I sold up and left everything behind to come here.

I make friends easily so that is a blessing and I'm not afraid to put myself out there. Like you said windsong...... all I can do is my best ! But I know that this new start is the best thing I can do for ME. I'm not ashamed to ask for help, directions or guidance and I know that once I get there, there will undoubtedly be new friends to make and people who can help should I need it.

Today I actually registered on a UK job site, uploaded my CV and applied for 2 jobs. I know the chances of my getting a job before I leave are slim, but not impossible. One step at a time !
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=WhoFan63;10591271]
Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you Some days it is more difficult than others to have this positive attitude but I am going to do my best. One thing is for sure - if I don't at least try, nothing will happen.

I totally agree ! That is what I have been thinking for the past few months....I have to try, because not only with nothing happen, I would also spend the rest of my life wondering 'what if'.

I'm not afraid of hard work and I'm not afraid to try! I know things won't be easy because I am essentially going back to a country where I know no-one, I have no friends from childhood and where I have no network of friends or former work colleagues who I can call on for help. But these challenges only make me stronger. I did the same when I came to the USA from Australia. The only person I knew was my husband, and I sold up and left everything behind to come here.

I make friends easily so that is a blessing and I'm not afraid to put myself out there. Like you said windsong...... all I can do is my best ! But I know that this new start is the best thing I can do for ME. I'm not ashamed to ask for help, directions or guidance and I know that once I get there, there will undoubtedly be new friends to make and people who can help should I need it.

Today I actually registered on a UK job site, uploaded my CV and applied for 2 jobs. I know the chances of my getting a job before I leave are slim, but not impossible. One step at a time !
That's right I am beginning to do the same thing. I am looking at jobs inquiring, etc. Who knows what could happen
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
What? A photo of Bamburgh to tout Alberta????? Have I misunderstood this? I can't think of two places less alike! That beach really is beautiful though. An old family friend of ours used to live in Morpeth and had a cousin in Rothbury. They both loved the area.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:24 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
What? A photo of Bamburgh to tout Alberta????? Have I misunderstood this? I can't think of two places less alike! That beach really is beautiful though. An old family friend of ours used to live in Morpeth and had a cousin in Rothbury. They both loved the area.
No. I kid you not. At least they didn't include the castle and try to pass it off as a stately home in Alberta. They were tumbled almost immediately and the waffle from the govt. was nonsense. No surprise there!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:27 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Bamburgh Alberta

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...e-tourism.html

just goggled the subject and this is the first link that comes up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.