Help with British Citizenship

Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with British Citizenship

Shirtback has pre-empted me. You'll need to obtain your grandfather's military records to prove he was recruited in the UK. If so then your mother would be British otherwise than by descent and you would have received British citizenship by descent.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:29 am
Just Joined

lhelena is an unknown quantity at this point

I get that you can pass on citizenship if you are British otherwise than by descent.
I have never heard of this term before, I only knew of: British citizenship, British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British subject, British national (overseas) and British protected person.
One of my mother’s old passports says: British subject
So could I ask the home office to search into the matter?
So I will have to prove that my grandfather was recruited in the UK.
But how can he be in the British Indian Army if not recruited?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lhelena
I get that you can pass on citizenship if you are British otherwise than by descent.
I have never heard of this term before, I only knew of: British citizenship, British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British subject, British national (overseas) and British protected person.
The Home Office isn't going to do any leg work for you. If you want to be registered as a British citizen then you'll need to provide the documents to demonstrate that you are eligible.

Your grandfather could have been recruited for service in the Indian Army in India in which case you wouldn't be eligible.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 9:52 am
Just Joined

I suppose he went through the British army as his father was in the British army.
Anyway I'll apply and let u know.
Thank u for all your help and info, I'll be back
Old Feb 18th 2016, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Your grandfather could have been recruited for service in the Indian Army in India in which case you wouldn't be eligible.
I've done a lot of work on my family tree and every man recuited into the forces from within the UK, went into British regiments: even the two who were then stationed in India.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Shirtback has pre-empted me. You'll need to obtain your grandfather's military records to prove he was recruited in the UK. If so then your mother would be British otherwise than by descent and you would have received British citizenship by descent.
I'm glad I got that bit right.

Britinparis, if it transpires that Helena's mother is British by descent, does the mother's UK residence come into play to change anything? Or not?

You need to prove that he was recruited into the British Army in the UK, not the British Indian Army directly, & then for whatever reason ended up in the BIA.

The Home Office won't do any research. Any and all research has to be done by you, then you supply the records/proof to be considered/analysed.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:34 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose he went through the British army as his father was in the British army.
Anyway I'll apply and let u know.
Thank u for all your help And info, I'll be back
' suppose' unfortunately won't cut it with HMPO. Don't waste money on applying if you don't have the paperwork to back up your claim.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'm glad I got that bit right.

Britinparis, if it transpires that Helena's mother is British by descent, does the mother's UK residence come into play to change anything? Or not?
No. Registration under S.3(2) or S.3(5) BNA 1981 would only work if she was still under 18. If her mother does turn out to be British by descent she would need to reside in the UK for six years and naturalise like anybody else. Helpfully she has an EU passport which would likely make this a lot easier if she wanted to go down that route.

You need to prove that he was recruited into the British Army in the UK, not the British Indian Army directly, & then for whatever reason ended up in the BIA.

The Home Office won't do any research. Any and all research has to be done by you, then you supply the records/proof to be considered/analysed.
Yep.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

No. Registration under S.3(2) or S.3(5) BNA 1981 would only work if she was still under 18. If her mother does turn out to be British by descent she would need to reside in the UK for six years and naturalise like anybody else. Helpfully she has an EU passport which would likely make this a lot easier if she wanted to go down that route.

Yep.
Thank you !!
Old Feb 18th 2016, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Yep.
When women had the right, she did apply but the british embassy in greece denied her application...
Old Feb 19th 2016, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

8th Punjab Regiment, found info on the newspaper under births
Old Feb 19th 2016, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

8th Punjab Regiment, found info on the newspaper under births
That was a part of the British Indian Army. I don't see that it advances your case unfortunately.

I'll repeat: you need to request your grandfather's army records from official sources. There are links upthread.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

My uncle thinks he was recalled as a reservist but he had 26 years service in army. Anyway he’ll look at w/e & see
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

My uncle thinks he was recalled as a reservist but he had 26 years service in army. Anyway he’ll look at w/e & see
That's all very well. HOWEVER, the only way you are going to find out FOR SURE, is to obtain his Army records. I gave you the links.

Years of service won't matter if it's the BIA. What matters is whether he was recruited into the British Army, *in* the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Have my aunt checking on the files.
She mentioned that he received an army pension from DFID.
Let u know more...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.