Help with British Citizenship

Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:38 am
Just Joined

lhelena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with British Citizenship

Both grandparents, from my mother's side, were born in the UK, my mother was born in 1943 in Rawal Pindi, due to the fact her father was in Crown service, otherwise she would be born in the UK and my father is Greek.

Applied for British Citizenship, believing that I have the right, since my mother was born in a British Colony and all her family tree has been British for many generations. However I was wrong.

The Home Office is keep telling me that my mother was born outside the United Kingdom and Colonies, although Rawal Pindi was part of the Crowns Dominions in 1943, it was part of an independent country from 1 January 1949, so your mother did not have this status to pass on at the time of my birth (1978).

The objection I have is that the UKM form clearly states that in order for me to be eligible for British citizenship, my mother has to be a registered British citizen at the time of my birth and NOT that the place of my mother's birth has to remain till today British. And she is a REGISTERED British citizen, has a british passport, lived there till she met my father (Greek) and came to Greece in 1972 since today.

Anyway, I am very disappointed and disgusted, no discretion from Home Office, the only reason my mother was not born in UK, is because my grandfather was serving the Crown.

Anyway, in case anybody can help, open to any possible guidance/suggestions .

Thanks a lot,

Helena
Old Feb 16th 2016, 9:42 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with British Citizenship

Originally Posted by lhelena
Both grandparents, from my mother's side, were born in the UK, my mother was born in 1943 in Rawal Pindi, due to the fact her father was in Crown service, otherwise she would be born in the UK and my father is Greek.

Applied for British Citizenship, believing that I have the right, since my mother was born in a British Colony and all her family tree has been British for many generations. However I was wrong.

The Home Office is keep telling me that my mother was born outside the United Kingdom and Colonies, although Rawal Pindi was part of the Crowns Dominions in 1943, it was part of an independent country from 1 January 1949, so your mother did not have this status to pass on at the time of my birth (1978).

The objection I have is that the UKM form clearly states that in order for me to be eligible for British citizenship, my mother has to be a registered British citizen at the time of my birth and NOT that the place of my mother's birth has to remain till today British. And she is a REGISTERED British citizen, has a british passport, lived there till she met my father (Greek) and came to Greece in 1972 since today.

Anyway, I am very disappointed and disgusted, no discretion from Home Office, the only reason my mother was not born in UK, is because my grandfather was serving the Crown.

Anyway, in case anybody can help, open to any possible guidance/suggestions .

Thanks a lot,

Helena
Hopefully BritinParis will chip in, but I thought that when born to a parent serving the Crown, you are British otherwise by decent which would make you British by decent? You would need to produce your grandfather's service records to prove this.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 10:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

After 1949 British citizenship was only usually passed down to the first generation born abroad. An exception to this would be if the grandparent was in Crown service at the time the parent was born in which case it can be passed onto a further generation born overseas.

You say your grandfather was in Crown service - what was your grandfather's employment at the time of your mother's birth? Where was he recruited?
Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

YES, My grandfather was Bt. Major, 13th frontier force rifles.
I could upload my mother's birth certificate but don't know how, all info on it.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/cfLR
Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/cfLe
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The 13th Frontier Force Rifles was part of the British Indian Army, not the regular British Army, therefore you would need to prove that your grandfather was recruited for Crown service in the United Kingdom. The earliest entry I could find in the London Gazette was your grandfather being admitted to the Indian Army from the Unattached List as a 2nd Lieutenant on 6th September 1918. Again as this is the Indian Army it does not automatically follow that your grandfather was recruited for service in the UK.

Whereabouts was your grandfather born in the UK? I'm struggling to find a birth record for him.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

you are amazing, how did you find him...
He was born 18 July 1899, in the army barracks at Aldershot(?), his father was also in the English army.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

you are amazing, how did you find him...
He was born 18 July 1899, in the army barracks at Aldershot(?), his father was also in the English army.
He is, isn't he?!

Following this thread because I'm fascinated (& curious) by the intricacies of tracing British citizenship in cases like yours; I often end up reading & learning all sorts of history/details only very remotely connected to the original question.

Plugging your grandfather's name (from the BC you uploaded) brought up a few references, but I'm not finding a birth record for him either

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 16th 2016 at 11:57 pm. Reason: Added info
Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
He is, isn't he?!

Following this thread because I'm fascinated (& curious) by the intricacies of tracing British citizenship in cases like yours; I often end up reading & learning all sorts of history/details only very remotely connected to the original question.

Same here Shirtback, I always earwig on BiP's threads
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Found the birth certificate, North Camp Farnborough
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Those days country of Southampton
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Found the birth certificate, North Camp Farnborough
I'm sure BiP will be along with concrete advice, but I think your next step would be to apply for grandfather's army records in order to see/prove he was recruited to Crown Service in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...cords/overview

and

British Army soldiers after 1913 - The National Archives
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:46 am
Just Joined

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/cfFA

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/cfFR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.