Heading back to UK for work then Vacation.

Old Jul 30th 2011, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heading back to UK for work then Vacation.

HI

So I'm a British Citizen with a greencard living in the US. My wife is American and we both moved from the UK in January.

My wife had a spouse visa for the UK then we had a big opportunity to live and work in san francisco which we took.

We're both loving life out here in the US and were headed back tomorrow to the UK. We're both working for our companies whilst there then taking a week in Scotland visiting my family.

My question is will my wife have issues seeing as her spousal visa is expired? Even though this is only a 2 week vacation i wouldnt want them thinking were trying to move back without a visa for her.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:07 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading back to UK for work then Vacation.

Originally Posted by AlistairL
HI

So I'm a British Citizen with a greencard living in the US. My wife is American and we both moved from the UK in January.

My wife had a spouse visa for the UK then we had a big opportunity to live and work in san francisco which we took.

We're both loving life out here in the US and were headed back tomorrow to the UK. We're both working for our companies whilst there then taking a week in Scotland visiting my family.

My question is will my wife have issues seeing as her spousal visa is expired? Even though this is only a 2 week vacation i wouldnt want them thinking were trying to move back without a visa for her.

Any thoughts?
How can she work in the UK without a valid work visa? I am sure she could enter as a visitor, but then so can most Americans, married or not (also, I only found out after leaving her in the long line in June, but your wife/GF can come in the UK citizen line at immigration with you).

tht
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
How can she work in the UK without a valid work visa?
Surely she would just be considered to be on a business trip in this case?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

She can enter on VWP which means she can't work. and can only stay 3 months max.

Its a shame your wife didn't apply for ILR before you left UK -you will have to start the whole process again if you plan on coming back to settle.

Last edited by rculater; Jul 30th 2011 at 12:17 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rculater
She can enter on VWP which means she can't work. and can only stay 3 months max.
The VWP is for entry to the US, not the UK. They live in the US (the UKC OP on a Green Card) and are travelling back to the UK for two weeks for a combined business trip/family holiday. The UKBA (http://http://www.ukba.homeoffice.go...inessvisitors/) states: 'You will only need permission (known as 'entry clearance' or 'a visa') to come to the UK for a business visit of up to six months if you are a visa national. [...] If you are a non-visa national, permission to come for up to six months is not needed as a business visitor.' US citizens are non-visa nationals.

In response to the original question: I guess all she can do is bring evidence of her employment etc. in the US and be able to demonstrate that she has a flight booked to return two weeks later. Since you are a UKC it seems completely normal that you and she would come to visit your family.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Jul 30th 2011 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:54 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a multi-national with offices in the US and UK. We have a number of Americans who, between them, visit the UK 20 or 30 times a year (probably more) for business meetings - staying anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. This has never been any kind of problem, and all have been very clear on the purpose of their trip when questioned on entering the UK.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 3:52 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, but the op said working, not visiting on business.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 3:54 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Can you explain what you think the difference is in the OP's situation?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 4:42 pm
tht

Originally Posted by tonrob
Can you explain what you think the difference is in the OP's situation?
OP - "working for our companies whilst there"

Your post - "for business meetings"
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rculater
A USC can stay in the UK for 6 months... and the VWP is a US mechanism.

Ian
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:20 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by tht
OP - "working for our companies whilst there"

Your post - "for business meetings"
That'll be a no, then.

What do you think you do when you travel for business meetings? Play dominoes?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
(also, I only found out after leaving her in the long line in June, but your wife/GF can come in the UK citizen line at immigration with you).

tht
They can if the immigration officer working the EU desk is kind enough to process them. Most if there isn't a long line will process immediate family, girlfriends are another matter and there's much less of a chance.

Originally Posted by tht
When I worked with the immigration guys at Heathrow the question was "Are you here for business or pleasure". The word working wasn't used.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
They can if the immigration officer working the EU desk is kind enough to process them. Most if there isn't a long line will process immediate family, girlfriends are another matter and there's much less of a chance.

When I worked with the immigration guys at Heathrow the question was "Are you here for business or pleasure". The word working wasn't used.
We entered the UK on Christmas Day last year...my daughter's fiance came with us in the EU citizens line. He was told that he was in the wrong section and in future he should use the non EU line. All depends on what mood the IO is in.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We entered the UK on Christmas Day last year...my daughter's fiance came with us in the EU citizens line. He was told that he was in the wrong section and in future he should use the non EU line. All depends on what mood the IO is in.
It does, but most will help a spouse or children, less then immediate family probably not.