Getting married in the uk.

Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

gordonadams22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Getting married in the uk.

I am an Oz citizen engaged to a uk girl-we both live in Darwin.we intend to get married next year and would like to have the wedding in England. Can anyone tell us the quickest way to be able to do this legally?We don't intend to live in the UK as we both have good jobs in OZ.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in the uk.

Originally Posted by gordonadams22
I am an Oz citizen engaged to a uk girl-we both live in Darwin.we intend to get married next year and would like to have the wedding in England. Can anyone tell us the quickest way to be able to do this legally?We don't intend to live in the UK as we both have good jobs in OZ.
I'll move you to the UK forum, people there are more up on UK visas etc
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:01 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you intend to get married? England and Scotland have different laws.

Just noticed you mentioned England, you need to give notice in person and be resident in the country for 6 weeks prior to the wedding, in Scotland you can give notice by post and turn up on the day. You may want to have a look at Gretna green.

Last edited by Kelli28; Sep 16th 2012 at 10:05 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to apply for a Visitor for marriage or Civil Partnership visa. This is for people wishing to marry in the UK but not intending to live there.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...riage-cp/visa/

It's not a very well laid out website and you will need to go to a number of pages to get all the information together.

I believe you can apply on line from Australia.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Getting married in the uk.

Thanks for the info-the marriage will be in England.I was under the impression that I had to be in the country for only 23 days( 7 days before posting the bans and15 whilst the bans are advertised). Six weeks would be a major problem!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordonadams22
Thanks for the info-the marriage will be in England.I was under the impression that I had to be in the country for only 23 days( 7 days before posting the bans and15 whilst the bans are advertised). Six weeks would be a major problem!
You mention banns - does this mean you're intending on getting married in a (Church of England) church? If so, then last I knew a common licence (rather than the usual banns) is required from the Bishop due to you being a foreign national.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Sorry- no we don't intend to have a church wedding but the term bans was intended to cover the task of giving notice of the intended marriage.