Son moving to Scotland

Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

angecro60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Son moving to Scotland

My son is 19, and British by descent, he holds a British passport and would like to live in Scotland for a few years. Will he need to register to be naturalized? Can he work before all this is done? Will he still be able to hold his US citizenship? Not sure if this is where I begin, did not see another thread starter.. Thank you
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son moving to Scotland

Originally Posted by angecro60
My son is 19, and British by descent, he holds a British passport and would like to live in Scotland for a few years. Will he need to register to be naturalized? Can he work before all this is done? Will he still be able to hold his US citizenship? Not sure if this is where I begin, did not see another thread starter.. Thank you
If he has got a passport, he has got a passport. That is is the proof. No need to "register to be naturalized" because he has the documentation that he needs.

"..... before all this is done" There is nothing to do, other than get on a plane.

"....still be able to hold his US citizenship" yes he can keep it, if he is only going to Scotland for a few years, he will need it when he comes back to the US.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If he has got a passport, he has got a passport. That is is the proof. No need to "register to be naturalized" because he has the documentation that he needs.

"..... before all this is done" There is nothing to do, other than get on a plane.

"....still be able to hold his US citizenship" yes he can keep it, if he is only going to Scotland for a few years, he will need it when he comes back to the US.
Ditto!
My kids born in US both moved to UK, used their UK passports to enter, went to the jobcentre plus and applied for National insurance numbers and got jobs.
Both still have US passports for entering and leaving the US if they need to come and visit.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Yes I agree.

If the OP's son holds a UK passport and is a UK citizen by descent he can live and work in the UK and other EU counties.....no need to do anything. He will qualify for all benefits and NHS as well as soon as he becomes resident. Remember that as a US citizen he will still have to file US taxes every year.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies. Now "as soon as he becomes a resident?". How can he show proof of when he first became a resident? Just say he decided to go to school, will he need to wait 3 years before he can apply for financial help?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:14 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies. Now "as soon as he becomes a resident?". How can he show proof of when he first became a resident? Just say he decided to go to school, will he need to wait 3 years before he can apply for financial help?
Your son can become UK resident as soon as he steps of the plane if he intends to stay in the UK, has an address etc. Unfortunately he will not be treated as a resident by Universities and schools until he has lived in the UK for sometime....I think it might be 2 or 3 years.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

if he's going to go to college then his acceptance letter shows residence. But holding a UK passport and opening a UK bank account (they send stuff to your house in UK), renting a flat all these things show residence.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:33 am
Just Joined

My son just moved to Scotland from the U.S to stay with family. His British passport is stll being processed. He has nothing right now to show residency. He is not there to go to school, but may pursue after 3 yrs. do you know if he can open a bank acct. once he is able to show his British passport? Right now they require that he knows a professional for 2 years, ie a doctor, lawyer, well he only has family and they do not count, plus he needs 2 legal type letters to show residency. Thanks for all the help
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

My son just moved to Scotland from the U.S to stay with family. His British passport is stll being processed. He has nothing right now to show residency. He is not there to go to school, but may pursue after 3 yrs. do you know if he can open a bank acct. once he is able to show his British passport? Right now they require that he knows a professional for 2 years, ie a doctor, lawyer, well he only has family and they do not count, plus he needs 2 legal type letters to show residency. Thanks for all the help
Thats a lot of proof maybe he could try one of the banks that the relatives he is near use.
My son had his UK passport and his grandmother with him and opened on at her bank. Maybe once his passport comes he could try that.
Second son went in with my older son and opened his account. Had to wait for his letter from the college though to get a student account.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Your son can become UK resident as soon as he steps of the plane if he intends to stay in the UK, has an address etc. Unfortunately he will not be treated as a resident by Universities and schools until he has lived in the UK for sometime....I think it might be 2 or 3 years.
Yes, typically 3 years, anything else is the exception rather than the rule.

And being in the UK for the primary purpose of education does not count towards the residency rule. So, if an expat child is sent back to attend school for 3 years before going to university, and the parents stay overseas, this does not usually satisfy the 3-year prior residency rule, because the child was in the UK primarily for education purposes - anything else is an exception, rather than the rule.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, My son returned to UK when he was 19. It was March and he got his MI mumber and looked for work but also signed on.
As he was on job seekers allowance when he applied to 6th form college he got it for free, his allowance just stopped.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:11 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi, My son returned to UK when he was 19. It was March and he got his MI mumber and looked for work but also signed on.
As he was on job seekers allowance when he applied to 6th form college he got it for free, his allowance just stopped.
I think the rules for 6th form may be slightly different than higher education ... could be wrong, though.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
I didn't even know tht 19 year olds can go to 6th form college as that is usually for 16 and 17 years olds?

Job seekers have to look for work and as he decided to go to 6th form, he isn't available for work.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
And being in the UK for the primary purpose of education does not count towards the residency rule. So, if an expat child is sent back to attend school for 3 years before going to university, and the parents stay overseas, this does not usually satisfy the 3-year prior residency rule, because the child was in the UK primarily for education purposes - anything else is an exception, rather than the rule.
I didn't know that. I guess that stops those who send their child to live with grandma/auntie, to try to get around the 3 year home fees/no fees, rule?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:45 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by formula
I didn't know that. I guess that stops those who send their child to live with grandma/auntie, to try to get around the 3 year home fees/no fees, rule?
Yes. I started a thread on here about 2 years ago this time about a new MPhil student who had been paying international fees for 6 years (or rather, her father was). She was born in Singapore of Scottish and Malaysian parents (her dad was an alumnus of my university). Her prior 6 years, residence could not be counted, as she was here primarily for education purposes (her family still lived in Singapore).

However, she had an extensive record of staying here over the summers, working, renting non-university property, that we used to establish evidence of potential intent to stay in the UK. In these situations, many people don't know for sure, but it seemed a bit excessive that if she'd stayed for her PhD she would have paid 10 years of international fees (4 of which would have been entirely free if she'd been counted as a Scottish resident).

After a long, frustrating series of attempts, the university agreed to let her pay home fees (postgraduate). Strictly speaking, they could have refused, but eventually we won the case. Sometimes it is worth challenging the home fees decision, but you usually have to have some reason other than "It's not fair".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.