To get british citizenship from some one?

Old May 29th 2012, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

yaqoob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer of british citizenship from some one?

Kindly please help me regarding my issue. I am a pakistani resident and my father in law is U.K citizen. Can her daughter/ my wife gets british citizenship because she was born in pakistan and from her then i get u.k citizenship after marrying her? I ll b very very greatful to u if u people help me in it. And also explain the process from where should i start the process. Thanks in advance to evry 1 help.

Last edited by yaqoob; May 29th 2012 at 2:28 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To get british citizenship from some one?

You can't get British citizenship just through marrying a British citizen, you would need to apply for the appropriate settlement visa and live in the UK for the appropriate amount of time (and meet other citizenship criteria) to apply for citizenship.

You haven't provided enough information to determine if your wife is a British citizen. Was her father born or naturalised in the UK, and was he married to your wife's mother?
Old May 30th 2012, 8:09 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest you visit a site for immigration related questions rather than a British Expat site - try www.immigrationboards.com for a start
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

thanx roaringmouse and pennylessinindia for the replys. Actually my wife is not a british citizen her father wz also not a british citizen, actually her father married a british woman in u.k in 1970, he was a doctor in there and thats how he got da citizenship frm his wife then he cam bak to pakistan in 1986 for permanent settlement here in pakistan. Here he got married with pakistani citizen woman and my wife is the daughter of that woman who do not have british citizen although my wife's father and my wife's step brother brother and step sister's are british citizen. So how can my wife get british citizen frm her father.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So your father in law became a British citizen after being married to a British citizen? then your wife is his child from a second marriage in India?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

yes my father n law spnt 20 yrs in u.k frm 1964 til 1985 there he married british woman nd he got citizenship nw m not sure tht he got citizenship frm marriage r he spnt 20 years n u.k nd in those days da rules were nt so strict nd confusing thn n 1985 he cam bak to pakistan to his home country for permanent settlement. Now my wife is a child frm his second wife. So my father in law only visited u.k frm 1985 til nw only twice on british pasport so my wife father is a british national nd nw i wnt to ask wheather she cn get her father citizenship r not?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is you are not eligible for British citizenship.

The long answer, with all the explanations why, and who '' is eligible'', can be found here :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...p/eligibility/

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Shirtback; Jun 4th 2012 at 8:39 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
The short answer is you are not eligible for British citizenship.

The long answer, with all the explanations why, and who '' is eligible'', can be found here :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...p/eligibility/

Hope this helps.
But his wife may be eligible for British citizenship if born after 83?
A naturalized UK citizen can pass on citizenship even if the child is born outside the UK. Only British by descent can't pass it on if the children are not born in UK.
So if your wife is eligible to be a British citizen by descent, she could sponsor you to live the UK and after so many years then you apply to become a UK citizen. If she qualifies?
Not sure, I bet JAJ will know he'll probably come by at some point and answer.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
But his wife may be eligible for British citizenship if born after 83?
Yes, in fact, a quick scan seems to confirm that she is. However, HE can't apply for British citizenship, unless they go live in the UK, (he would have to apply for a spousal Visa) and fulfill all the ensuing requirements etc.

I must say, I do find some of the terminology and permutations used confusing, and I am English mother tongue. I knew a little about this as my children are British by descent, but they can't pass it on unless they settle in the UK and have their children there. And we have some wierd and wonderful nationality permutations in the family which have led to a certain amount of research over the years;-)
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanx 4 all help actually my father n law got da citizenship wn he spent 3 years in u.k nd my wife date of birth is 1990 nd wz born in pakistan so cn som 1 xplain how to start da process so tht she gets her father citizenship
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I believe she just applies for her British passport using her fathers UK citizenship papers, her birth certificate and her father and mothers marriage certificate as proof. But the passport application notes should tell you more.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

thanx mummy in the foothills for the info realy thanx 4 da help
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:55 am
Just Joined

dannykc83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can marry my girlfriend and get citizenship for twenty quid if you want?