Double descent?

Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

vliggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Double descent?

Hi

I need some help, please. I am trying to establish if my kids can get their British passport through their paternal grandmother. Here is a brief background:

Paternal great grandfather is British born and was serving in the military when paternal grandmother was born in Italy in a British military hospital in 1951. She was issued with a British birth certificate and moved with her parents to the UK shortly thereafter. She has a british passport and eventually married in the UK to a british born man.

They moved to South Africa in 1977 and had my husband in Jun 1979, they registred him at birth so he has a British passport.

I understand that double decent can not be done through the paternal grandfather unless my husband has lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years. However we were advised that if born to a british born mother and children born abroad and registred between 1979 and Feb 1983 double decent is possible.

Therefore my question is, is the grandmother born in Italy in the military hospital seen has british born or british by decent?

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Double descent?

Registered at birth - was this consular birth registration? Prior to 1983, this was a way to acquire British nationality if born in a non-Commonwealth country.

It's quite possible that the paternal grandmother might be considered a British citizen otherwise than by descent under the British Nationality Act 1981 (as in force from January 1983), due to Crown Service of her own parent.

But if your husband acquired U.K. & Colonies by consular birth registration in 1979 then that's under section 5 of the British Nationality Act 1948, and as far as I can tell he would then have become a British citizen by descent on 1.1.1983.

Unless by some chance his parents were in U.K. recruited Crown Service when he was born.

What exactly does his British citizenship registration document say? [excluding personal details].