Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Do I really need to send in my US passport when applying?

Do I really need to send in my US passport when applying?

Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Purple Ferret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I really need to send in my US passport when applying?

I read on UK.Gov that you have to send in your US Passport when you apply. I require this for travel and in any case would rather not risk losing this. Is there a way around this?
Old Dec 24th 2013, 9:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I really need to send in my US passport when applying?

No, there's no requirement. Remember you may not possess or even be entitled to another passport. For the official answer, I shall quote the small print:

"Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport. However in exceptional circumstances where you may need to retain the passport, we will accept a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (including visa pages). We reserve the right to request the passport at a later stage as we examine your application. Please provide an explanation as to why you need to retain your passport."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_11.13.PDF
Old Dec 25th 2013, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Purple Ferret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No, there's no requirement. Remember you may not possess or even be entitled to another passport. For the official answer, I shall quote the small print:

"Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport. However in exceptional circumstances where you may need to retain the passport, we will accept a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (including visa pages). We reserve the right to request the passport at a later stage as we examine your application. Please provide an explanation as to why you need to retain your passport."

Ah, thanks muchly. I will make full color photocopies at Walgreens in this case.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I'd known this when applying, the helpline was adamant that a photocopy would not suffice. And that I'd have mine back within six weeks.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:29 am
kp1
Just Joined

kp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The helpline can be quite useless BUT on the positive side, I found out today all calls are recorded and logged (in case you are given conflicting information and need to reference back to helpline).

On a separate but similar note, does anyone know if they accept scanned docs (like a copy of non British passport as above) by email? Or are they still living in the Stone Age?
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

amoco is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to be redundant, but does sending in a color copy of my US passport while applying for British citizenship through descent work as well? Or do they insist on the having the actual passport?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amoco
Not to be redundant, but does sending in a color copy of my US passport while applying for British citizenship through descent work as well? Or do they insist on the having the actual passport?

Thanks in advance!
A photocopy and a note explaining you require it for travel is perfectly acceptable.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

A photocopy and a note explaining you require it for travel is perfectly acceptable.
Which itself gets quite expensive. A colour copy in the US is about 50 cents - you'll need to make 27 such copies to copy the entire passport (which is what they state they need). 26 for the 52 inside pages and one for the cover.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
Which itself gets quite expensive. A colour copy in the US is about 50 cents - you'll need to make 27 such copies to copy the entire passport (which is what they state they need). 26 for the 52 inside pages and one for the cover.
I know it states they want a copy of the entire passport but I suspect you'll very easily just get away with a copy of the bio-data page.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both! I do need it for travel and would hate for it to get lost or delayed.

Amoco
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amoco
Thank you both! I do need it for travel and would hate for it to get lost or delayed.

Amoco
Yeah, I wish I'd had BritInParis' wonderful advice when I'd applied!
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

I truly appreciate those who have gone before me and had to go through the hassles. And I appreciate that they take the time to share with others.

Amoco
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:53 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I know it states they want a copy of the entire passport but I suspect you'll very easily just get away with a copy of the bio-data page.
Indeed. It's a ridiculous request. I keep my secondary citizenship passport in a separate storage place in case anything happens to my primary passport and I need to travel outside of the country urgently. There is absolutely no way on earth I am sending in my second citizenship passport with my application for British passport renewal. Requesting a copy of all pages in a passport booklet is just a complete waste of time. It should be bio page + any visa's.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

geoffic999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Do I really need to send in my US passport when applying?

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Indeed. It's a ridiculous request. I keep my secondary citizenship passport in a separate storage place in case anything happens to my primary passport and I need to travel outside of the country urgently. There is absolutely no way on earth I am sending in my second citizenship passport with my application for British passport renewal. Requesting a copy of all pages in a passport booklet is just a complete waste of time. It should be bio page + any visa's.
Hello, I too have a secondary citizenship and Passport. this means that if I send my UK passport AND second state passport, would not be able to travel in emergency, as would not be able to exit the country where I reside.

When I asked the phone help line person, he said the only exemption from this demand could be for someone who could show that they were employed in a business that requires travel. He also said that its possible for the UK or its Consulate to offer Emergency Travel Papers. I said that this would not be valid for EXIT from my place of residence.. in addition, I imagine this could be an expensive item!. Meanwhile I have paid the Application Fee by Debit Card...

If I do send colour photos of my second passport and there is a demand for the original, it could mean further delay beyond the Four Weeks.
What should I do?
Geoffrey
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoffic999

When I asked the phone help line person, he said the only exemption from this demand could be for someone who could show that they were employed in a business that requires travel. He also said that its possible for the UK or its Consulate to offer Emergency Travel Papers.
Ignore them. They're just given you the company line. When some eejit on the phone told me this previous, I asked him if a family member of his was close to dying would you prefer to wait for an ETD (which are a total pita to obtain btw, and cost money!) or simply book a flight and turn up with your passport.

Indeed!

The UK government won't even know you're a dual citizen, so you can either be honest and declare something the British government has no legal authority for you to declare, or you can simply scan a copy of the bio page of your other passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.