Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you any particular reason to disbelieve the information given to you in post #445?

Records of all renunciations are held by the Home Office. I think it's unlikely that the question would even be asked.

You should check that the airline will let you travel to the U.K. on a one way ticket (unless you plan to buy a return). It is not mandatory for U.S. passport holders to have a return ticket, however some airlines may be more concerned about this than others.
I will indeed have a return ticket for the simple reason they are cheaper than one-ways. I can redeem the unused portion when in the UK - I hope.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you any particular reason to disbelieve the information given to you in post #445?

Records of all renunciations are held by the Home Office. I think it's unlikely that the question would even be asked.

You should check that the airline will let you travel to the U.K. on a one way ticket (unless you plan to buy a return). It is not mandatory for U.S. passport holders to have a return ticket, however some airlines may be more concerned about this than others.
I am trying to do this honestly and legally but it seems if I do, I can get myself in trouble. The stress is phenomenal!

My old blue book passport expired over 10 years ago and I applied - and paid - online for a renewal a month ago. However, just as I was about to send off my supporting documents, my world changed. In a few weeks both my job and where I live are disappearing - I live on the estate where I work. I absolutely have to get home to the UK. If I stay here, I have to spend thousands on a lease and furniture and it would mean I have to stay here for another year or two. I just can't do it. But that also means I can't wait three+ months to get my renewal.

Now I am in a bind as to what to do - risk entering on US passport and present my expired - grossly expired - UK passport and possibly risk being sent back here - or enter on the US passport and not even show the UK one?

I think the problem is how do I prove citizenship when the old blue passports are not entered in the immigration database.

When I called the border agency last year they told me that if I enter on a US passport AND have my pets with me, it will look as if I plan to stay and would not be allowed to enter.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 10th 2014 at 1:43 am.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

green121 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27783326

Theresa May has denied claims of a crisis in the passport applications system despite an "unprecedented" demand for passports earlier this year.

Unions have claimed job cuts over the past five years have caused long delays dealing with applications.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by green121
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27783326

Theresa May has denied claims of a crisis in the passport applications system despite an "unprecedented" demand for passports earlier this year.

Unions have claimed job cuts over the past five years have caused long delays dealing with applications.
She "has" to deny it. Regardless, she bears the responsibility whether she admits it or not.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

green121 is an unknown quantity at this point

She denied but it's thier policy of cutting jobs which effects people .I think conservative going to lose next general election.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by green121
She denied but it's thier policy of cutting jobs which effects people .I think conservative going to lose next general election.
Let's hope they do. They deserve to. I have read of some people in this forum in dire straits because of the passport nonsense over there. It's terrible.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

deleted

Last edited by windsong; Jun 10th 2014 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Isn't there a fourth option - apply for a Right of Abode stamp in a valid foreign passport?
Well, there is that I suppose, but it costs £289 and I can't imagine that would be any quicker than applying for a new British passport.

Also I'm not sure as a British citizen with a passport describing her as such, albeit expired, windsong would be eligible.

On 21st December 2006, new regulations relating to certificates of entitlement to the right of abode were introduced. After that date you will not qualify for a certificate of entitlement to be placed in your foreign passport or travel document if you hold a United Kingdom passport describing you as a British citizen or as a British subject with right of abode.

We will check with the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) to see if their records show that you hold a passport. If IPS records show that you hold a current UK passport, describing you as a British citizen or as a British subject with the right of abode in the United Kingdom, we will not issue a certificate of entitlement. This is because Regulations do not allow a person to hold both a passport and a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode. If you have lost your British passport you should therefore notify the IPS so that their records can be updated. Until you notify IPS of the loss of your passport an application for a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode may be refused, as records will show that you are the holder of a British citizen or British subject passport.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../guide_roa.pdf

Originally Posted by windsong
My old blue book passport expired over 10 years ago and I applied - and paid - online for a renewal a month ago.
If you'd sent it off a month ago then it would have probably been renewed by the time you needed to go.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:06 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting for a passport?

Revealed: Boxes and boxes of passport applications piled on the floor; but Theresa May dismisses growing fears of a holiday crisis as MPs say families in 'state of panic' | Mail Online

p.s. Is photographing HMPO allowed.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not, hence no credit for that photo. Likely taken by a staff member and passed on to the DM on the condition of anonymity.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 10th 2014 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Well, there is that I suppose, but it costs £289 and I can't imagine that would be any quicker than applying for a new British passport.

Also I'm not sure as a British citizen with a passport describing her as such, albeit expired, windsong would be eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../guide_roa.pdf

If you'd sent it off a month ago then it would have probably been renewed by the time you needed to go.
I couldn't send it off a month ago. I applied and PAID online a month ago. I hadn't received all the supporting documents until last Friday - the same day I got the bad news.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wonder what the Durham passport office looks like!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

For what it's worth now, I told the woman at the ETD department today that waiting 12+ weeks for a passport was a national disgrace. She was silent. However, earlier in our conversation she told me that if I sent in the application I could get it back within six weeks.! What a joke!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Boredofwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like it's all kicking off...

Ministers were warned about 'shocking' passport delays - Telegraph

Getting the excuses in early...

Minister blames surge in passport applications on economic recovery - Telegraph
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:13 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

That could be a photo of anything, you know.

Heck, it might be a photo of the 3600 plus spousal applications that the government has been holding since last July.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.