Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by Boredofwaiting
"Mininsters were warned" turns out to be one guy writing to the Minister for immigration and security. That's highly sloppy journalism in my book.

Originally Posted by Boredofwaiting
Lol at that ministerial excuse. They onshore passport applications at the same time as cutting staff by 700 and don't forsee a problem??

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 11th 2014 at 2:43 am.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Well, there is that I suppose, but it costs £289 and I can't imagine that would be any quicker than applying for a new British passport.

Why wouldn't a Right of Abode stamp be quicker? It's dealt with by local visa offices, nothing to do with the Passport Office.

Also I'm not sure as a British citizen with a passport describing her as such, albeit expired, windsong would be eligible.
The prohibition on obtaining an ROA stamp only applies to those with a current passport.
Still, since not many people actually apply for Right of Abode stamps, so it's hard to know what the real processing time and culture are.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why wouldn't a Right of Abode stamp be quicker? It's dealt with by local visa offices, nothing to do with the Passport Office.

The prohibition on obtaining an ROA stamp only applies to those with a current passport.
Still, since not many people actually apply for Right of Abode stamps, so it's hard to know what the real processing time and culture are.
How would one go about getting an ROA from within the USA?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
How would one go about getting an ROA from within the USA?
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode

Bear in mind you would need to send away your U.S. passport, so you won't be able to travel anywhere for however long it takes. (unless you get a second U.S. passport).
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode

Bear in mind you would need to send away your U.S. passport, so you won't be able to travel anywhere for however long it takes. (unless you get a second U.S. passport).
This is very interesting. It seems that if I have a "current" UK passport I am not entitled to the Certificate of Entitlement to be place in my US passport. That means, as you say, that if it is expired, I should be able to get it.

Seems all I have to do is send in my US passport, photos and UK birth certificate, along with completed form - and money.

Would having this Certificate of Entitlement in any prevent me from renewing my UK passport, since it appears you can't have both?

I couldn't find anything that gives an estimated time frame for it to be processed but I can call tomorrow.

It's expensive but worth it.

PS. Question 6.7 asks " Have you made an application to the Home Office to remain in the UK in the last 10 years? My answer to that would have to be yes because I completed and paid for a UK passport renewal a month ago; however, I have not sent in the supporting documents. Would this stop me getting the Certificate of Entitlement?

Last edited by windsong; Jun 11th 2014 at 4:51 am.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
As you say below, given its relative rarity, we have no idea of processing times or procedural culture. I've never seen anyone with a ROA sticker in a foreign passport who was born in the UK. You might be jumping out of the pan into the fire and paying through the nose for the privilege.

If you can show me where it says current passport then fair enough but I haven't seen anything to that effect.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 3:09 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you can show me where it says current passport then fair enough but I haven't seen anything to that effect.
Guide ROA, page 7, refers to a "current" passport:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../guide_roa.pdf

The 2006 Regulations don't specifically say "current" passport but I would expect that would be implicit.

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 12th 2014 at 3:12 am.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

green121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Passport Office plans to relax security checks on applications from overseas have been blocked by ministers, as staff tackle a major backlog of cases.

Leaked documents suggest passport officials wanted to ease rules on the supporting evidence that UK nationals living abroad have to provide, where it did not compromise security.

The Home Office said it was "unaware" of the proposed change and the guidelines had now been withdrawn.

Labour said ministers were "in denial".

The development, first reported by the Guardian, came as Prime Minister David Cameron said up to 30,000 passport applications had been hit by delays as a result of applications hitting a 12-year high.

He told Parliament on Wednesday that hundreds of extra staff have been drafted in and new offices are being opened in Liverpool next week to help tackle the backlog.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

BBC News - Passport backlog: Ministers block relaxation of checks
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

The passport crisis deepened last night after it emerged senior diplomats warned of critical problems a month ago, and ministers ordered the immediate reversal of a relaxation on security checks.

The Government’s handling of the backlog was under growing scrutiny after it emerged that Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) ordered staff to reduce a range of background checks on applications by British citizens overseas.

In a farcical turn, Theresa May, the Home Secretary, was forced to issue a humiliating statement admitting ministers were “unaware” of the HMPO’s rule changes and ordered the instructions to be withdrawn on the spot.

A leaked letter, seen by The Daily Telegraph, disclosed that in a private meeting in London on May 13, British ambassadors and high commissioners from around the globe warned the HMPO’s chief executive, Paul Pugh, that delays in applications were a serious problem.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Guide ROA, page 7, refers to a "current" passport:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../guide_roa.pdf

The 2006 Regulations don't specifically say "current" passport but I would expect that would be implicit.
Fair enough then
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

And the expat angle is gaining momentum ...

Have you been affected by the passport delays? Are you an expat who is trying to renew your passport? Please share your comments and experiences with us. You can email [email protected] using the subject 'passport delays'.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
And the expat angle is gaining momentum ...

Teresa May has announced some emergency measures - some of which apply to expats -

BBC News - Passport backlog: May announces emergency measures

Confirming that babies/children can apply for ETDs and passport validity will be extended by 1 year.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Teresa May has announced some emergency measures - some of which apply to expats -

Confirming that babies/children can apply for ETDs and passport validity will be extended by 1 year.
That is good news! But am I the only one worried about the entire immigration and passport services becoming run by politicians and the boundaries and safeguards of an independent civil service being erroded?: "In the longer term, the passport office could be stripped of its agency status and brought directly under Home Office control "in line with other parts of the immigration system", she told MPs."
Old Jun 12th 2014, 11:21 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs

And I will be allowed to board a plan in Italy with an extended passport?!! Not unless the British Consulate gives it a nice shiny stamp for the Italians to see. Especially after the UK refused to officially recognize extended ID cards.

Good news about ETDs though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.