Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
From what you have posted I don't think your current situation in the US will be a good enough reason for an ETD. Your sister's health maybe a reason depending on how ill she is..a letter from her doctor/hospital would help.

All of the above aside...although it is best to enter the UK using a UK PP if you intend to reside there...as a UK citizen you cannot be denied entry if you can prove your citizenship. You can do this with your old UK PP and your birth certificate. Is that the ideal way of doing it...no...but it is a way open to you.

An original UK birth certificate...plus an expired UK PP certainly should be enough proof of UK citizenship. You could also gather other info ie NI card/number....NHS card/number etc although they are not proof of citizenship...but it may help.
But how do I convince them that I did not renounce citizenship between the time my old passport expired and the present? It expired over 10 years ago.

I don't know what is wrong with my sister. I had a friend in England call her a few weeks ago and that's how I got the news. My friend's English is not perfect, so it was hard to tell.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 8th 2014 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
But how do I convince them that I did not renounce citizenship between the time my old passport expired and the present? It expired over 10 years ago.
What makes you think they would even present that question?
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you think they would even present that question?
Because that was the concern of the Border Agency last year when I called them. The issue arose when I told them my passport expired years ago.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Sandra008 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I talked to them they told me the problem is because my passport expired so long ago. If it had expired recently, it's not such a problem. They are concerned I may have given up citizenship since it expired

If only they knew me. That is the LAST thing I would ever do!

I do understand their concern, though. But how to convince them?? But in ways I don't understand it. If they are concerned, just give me a visitor's stamp in my US passport! I will have a round trip ticket, of course. I guess that means the dogs need a round trip ticket, too.

I believe I read somewhere on the forum that a birth certificate is not evidence of citizenship.

I could have the printed online app with me that shows the reference number of my application but I doubt it would help.

In this day and age, I find it hard to believe the immigration/border agency can't prove citizenship with the swipe of a passport, even an expired one!
I'm surprised too that they cannot check in a bureaucratic database (especially since 911) to see if you have renounced your citizenship, as well as the rigmarole you would need to go through to renounce British citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/apply

If you can get to speak to someone at the British Consulate who is not a gatekeeper then maybe you can make the following case:

1. You are in a position of economic hardship as you are a single woman who has lost her job and has no other forms of income coming into the household.
2. You are in a position of having no place to stay as you will need to imminently vacant your only place of residence.
3. You have a family member (your sister) who needs your support back in the UK and is prepared to vouch for you being a UK citizen, and is willing to confirm that you are entering the UK not as a visitor but will be returning to live.
4. You have dependents in the form of family pets which also need to accompany on your trip back to the UK. Baring in mind -- you are the sole provider and guardian of these family pets.

I hope your situation can be resolved by actually first speaking to someone from the British Consulate and then to have a face to face interview at the office.

Again, Good Luck!

Last edited by Sandra008; Jun 8th 2014 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra008
I'm surprised too that they cannot check in a bureaucratic database (especially since 911) to see if you have renounced your citizenship, as well as the rigmarole you would need to go through to announce British citizenship.

If you can get to speak to someone at the British Consulate who is not a gatekeeper then maybe you can make the following case:

1. You are in a position of economic hardship as you are a single woman who has lost her job and has no other forms of income coming into the household.
2. You are in a position of having no place to stay as you will need to imminently vacant your only place of residence.
3. You have a family member (your sister) who needs your support back in the UK and is prepared to vouch for you being a UK citizen, and is willing to confirm that you are entering the UK not as a visitor but will be returning to live.
4. You have dependents in the form of family pets which also need to accompany on your trip back to the UK. Baring in mind -- you are the sole provider and guardian of these family pets.

I hope your situation can be resolved by actually first speaking to someone from the British Consulate and then to have a face to face interview at the office.

Again, Good Luck!
I may be wrong but as Windsong is a US citizen on US soil...ie residing in her country of citizenship...I do not think the UK Government is under any moral or legal obligation to try to repatriate her in the form of an ETD.

Her sister would have to be seriously ill...a letter from the doctor supporting this.

I don't think you can seriously expect them to think of family pets as dependants. Any aged parent...disabled child yes...but pets?
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I may be wrong but as Windsong is a US citizen on US soil...ie residing in her country of citizenship...I do not think the UK Government is under any moral or legal obligation to try to repatriate her in the form of an ETD.

Her sister would have to be seriously ill...a letter from the doctor supporting this.

I don't think you can seriously expect them to think of family pets as dependants. Any aged parent...disabled child yes...but pets?
Well, whatever the UK may decide, these pets ARE my "children" - to me. And that is what counts - to me.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra008
I'm surprised too that they cannot check in a bureaucratic database (especially since 911) to see if you have renounced your citizenship, as well as the rigmarole you would need to go through to renounce British citizenship.

If you can get to speak to someone at the British Consulate who is not a gatekeeper <respectfully snipped>
"They" can.

Unfortunately, as Jerseygirl points out, none of your points are relevant for obtaining an ETD.

& as several of us X-post, it is emerging that Windsong can get home to the UK on her US passport. So not an emergency situation:

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
"They" can.

Unfortunately, as Jerseygirl points out, none of your points are relevant for obtaining an ETD.

& as several of us X-post, it is emerging that Windsong can get home to the UK on her US passport. So not an emergency situation:

S
So if I get pulled over for secondary questioning, they will be able to confirm - pretty quickly - that I am a UK citizen? How long does this take - days, weeks, minutes?

If they can do this the same day, I will have few worries.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Wingsong is still a British citizen and is entitled to have entry into British, however...

"...Dual Nationals
The United Kingdom recognises dual nationality and there is no objection to a
British national, who is also a citizen or national of another country, holding a
UK passport. However, British nationals who are also nationals of another
country cannot be protected by Her Majesty's representatives against the
authorities of that country. A warning about dual nationality is contained in the notes at the front of UK passports..."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l-citizens.pdf

The British government doesn't 'seem' to mention any other objections? For example, e.g. expediting a person's entry into the UK because 'they want to officially declare' that they will be returning to the UK for good.

Wingsong can get into the UK legally no problem using her US passport, but I think the big issue here is she doesn't want to misrepresent her entry into the UK, nor does she want border complications or her pets being denied entry with them having no place to go.

Regarding Pets as dependents - yes you could be right. However, thank goodness in recent years the UK had to change it's position on quarantine rules giving 'Passports for Pets' because of the public outcry that pets are indeed regarded as part of the family.

Gotta give it a go at least...
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's no electronic records of old blue passports - hence why you can't be issued an ETD based on one.

You really only have three options.

1. Attempt to obtain an ETD from your local British consulate using your expired blue passport and your birth certificate. I doubt they will be willing to issue you one if you're a US citizen and there aren't any compelling or compassionate grounds but it's worth a try.

2. Apply for a new British passport and accept the current extended processing times means you may not be able to travel when you want to.

3. Go to the UK on your US passport, taking your expired blue British passport and British birth certificate and explain your situation to the IO at the border. Unless they have serious doubts about your identity you should be allowed to enter as a British citizen and told to renew your British passport as soon as possible.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis;[/quote
3. Go to the UK on your US passport, taking your expired blue British passport and British birth certificate and explain your situation to the IO at the border. Unless they have serious doubts about your identity you should be allowed to enter as a British citizen and told to renew your British passport as soon as possible.
^^^ This is what I've been trying to say.

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well, whatever the UK may decide, these pets ARE my "children" - to me. And that is what counts - to me.
Hey you don't have to convince me of that...my dogs have always been part of my family...but I don't think the powers that be will see it that way. I mostly prefer dogs to humans.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

So if I get pulled over for secondary questioning, they will be able to confirm - pretty quickly - that I am a UK citizen? How long does this take - days, weeks, minutes?

If they can do this the same day, I will have few worries.
I think there's more to it than it that? When you book your airline tickets you will have to put your passport number down - The only one you will have is your US passport number.

This is an old newspaper article, but after reading it -- it would make me think twice before trying to wing it and make your entry case at the border. I wouldn't chance it.

"...The “e-borders” system will log passenger information according to the data provided by the airline, which in most cases will be from the non-British passport used for the outbound journey. As a result, a dual national – even if readmitted to Britain by an immigration officer on showing a British passport – could be registered as an alien with no more rights than any other tourist, and limited to six months in the country.

On a subsequent trip, such a person attempting to return to Britain could be recorded as having broken immigration law. An airline, under the “e-borders” system, would be denied permission to carry the passenger home. Even if a British passport were presented, it would have to be verified by the nearest consulate or by the Passport Agency in the UK..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...tionality.html
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There's no electronic records of old blue passports - hence why you can't be issued an ETD based on one.

You really only have three options.

1. Attempt to obtain an ETD from your local British consulate using your expired blue passport and your birth certificate. I doubt they will be willing to issue you one if you're a US citizen and there aren't any compelling or compassionate grounds but it's worth a try.

2. Apply for a new British passport and accept the current extended processing times means you may not be able to travel when you want to.

I think I prefer the third option - and it is the most honest. If they pull me over for questioning, fair enough. They will have no problem at all verifying I am a UK citizen - unless their system is messed up in some way! I just hope it doesn't take long. You read such horror stories and I don't want to be one of them - nor my dogs! I will take a printout of the online app that I submitted and paid for a month ago, too. That should help.

I just know I will need a tranquilizer before I get off the plane, though!
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey you don't have to convince me of that...my dogs have always been part of my family...but I don't think the powers that be will see it that way. I mostly prefer dogs to humans.
Good to know!

I am the same - usually prefer animals over "most" people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.