Confused about Visas

Old Dec 29th 2014, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Cambridgeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about Visas

I have spent hours browsing the forums and articles and am very confused. Here is the background information. I am a UK Citizen living in America with my American wife. We both want to move back to the UK. As I understand it my two main options are for my wife to be able to stay are,

1. Have a job in the UK with at least 18,600 a year or
2. Have savings at approx 90,000

Are there any other routes to go if the above two requirements are not met? At this point I cannot meet them, and am looking at other options.Even a temporary i.e two year visa would be great. Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about Visas

For your wife to be able to live (and work) in the UK, you have the following options:

- YOU sponsor her by either YOU having a job in the UK paying 18,600 GBP per annum or more. YOU can move to the UK, work in this job for 6 months and then apply for the visa OR, if you have a current job in the US paying this amount or more AND have a job in the UK to go to within 3 months of returning you can apply immediately for the visa.

- You rely on joint savings of 62,500 GBP which you have had for 6 months or more.

-SHE gets her own work visa (usually Tier 2) whereby a UK company sponsors her for the visa (difficult to get unless her job is on the short list)

- SHE gets a student visa for a course for longer than 6 months - you have to have a recognised course and institution and pay international fees and have money to support yourself. From this she could then at a future date apply for a spouse visa using both her and your incomes

- You both go the Surinder Singh route i.e move to a European country for 9 months or more, get yourself jobs/accommodation etc and then you apply for an EEU family permit for her based on you being the European and exercising your treaty rights.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 29th 2014 at 7:59 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 10:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about Visas

Another possibility would be if your wife had any recent European ancestry. This may entitle her to an EEA/EU passport that would allow her to live in the UK without restriction.