Moving to the uk, citizenship help

Old Dec 30th 2014, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Anothertech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the uk, citizenship help

Apologies in advanced I'm unsure where to post this and if it is the wrong area please feel free to move:

I would like to apply for uk citizenship my dad was born there and grew up there however I grew up in Australia and was born here and would like to get a uk citizenship, am I entitled to it through my farther???

I was born in 1988.

I have already applied for British passport which I'm 99% sure I'll get but it probably won't help with wanting to live and move there ....

If anyone could help shed light on this that would be appreciated.

Last edited by Anothertech; Dec 30th 2014 at 8:18 am.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 9:02 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the uk, citizenship help

If your father was born in the UK and was married to your mother at the time you were born in Australia in 1988 then you are already a British citizen and your British passport should be forthcoming.

Once you receive your British passport you can move to the UK and live there for as long as you want. There are practical things you'd need to sort out once you'd arrived, like registering on the electoral roll, applying for a National Insurance Number and registering with a GP, but in terms of your citizenship you wouldn't have to do anything further.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Anothertech is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a wife how does that effect anything for her?

Also don't I have to get a visa???
Old Dec 30th 2014, 9:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anothertech
I also have a wife how does that effect anything for her?

Also don't I have to get a visa???
Not if you're a British citizen with a valid British passport - why would you? The other thing to be aware of is that the Australian government requires its citizens to enter and leave Australia on an Australian passport so you'll need to carry both passports when traveling to the UK from Australia and vice versa.

If your wife only holds Australian citizenship however then she would need a spouse visa to be able to live with you in the UK. There are certain financial requirements attached to this visa which are causing people problems so you may want to investigate your wife's own recent ancestry to see whether she is entitled to a British, Irish or European passport or an ancestry visa which would allow her to avoid having to apply for a spouse visa altogether.