children and citizenship?

Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:40 am
Just Joined

RiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant future
Default Re: children and citizenship?

Hi there I was born and raised in the UK and came to Canada at 24 years old. I just want to go home
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:02 am
Just Joined

RiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant futureRiversS has a brilliant future

Hi Bob

Thanks for your quick response. I am Brit born and raised, came here (Canada) at 24 years old. My son born in Canada. Your answer is very clear thank you. So what you are saying is, even tho he's Canadian with canadian birth cert etc I can apply for a Brit passport for him rather than Canadian?

And that wouldn't affect his Canadian citizenship? Or confuse immigration? Your thoughts would be great thanks so so much.
Samantha
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RiversS
Hi Bob

Thanks for your quick response. I am Brit born and raised, came here (Canada) at 24 years old. My son born in Canada. Your answer is very clear thank you. So what you are saying is, even tho he's Canadian with canadian birth cert etc I can apply for a Brit passport for him rather than Canadian?

And that wouldn't affect his Canadian citizenship? Or confuse immigration? Your thoughts would be great thanks so so much.
Samantha
you can and should get both passports and there's no issues with dual nationality like there could be with certain other nations.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bob

Samantha
Your son should have both passports. And if you're not a Canadian citizen, you should make sure you have your citizenship before leaving, otherwise you will lose your right to return.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Hi There Thank you so much for your response. I didn't realise my child could hold two passports still after 9/11. I thought it was one or nothing. I will apply for both.

I have no intention of coming back to reside here, I am all done. I will return for visits however and my regular UKPP will suffice for that.

Once again thank you. Clarity during these times sure helps. I am not planning our move for another year, to allow the recession to pass and save enough $'s to sustain us upon arrival home.

Thanks
Samantha
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There Thank you so much for your response. I didn't realise my child could hold two passports still after 9/11. I thought it was one or nothing. I will apply for both.

I have no intention of coming back to reside here, I am all done.

You speak with great confidence but ... what's the plan if your son comes back as an adult and you want to join him?

Or if Canada imposes a visa requirement on British passport holders wanting to visit?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Ah my friend With absolute wisdom I speak, trust me.

I have a 20 year old soon to be 21 year old son who thinks of himself as canadian going to U of T Trinity College in Sept. 4.5 hours flight away. He is going into politics and plans on staying in TO and Ottawa. The 18 years I have spent here have been the most angst ridden of my entire life.

Never able to settle, constantly homesick. My eldest child will come to the UK and I to Canada with his brother. My wee guy will summer here with his father, grandparents and big brother. Our communication is great. I am sure when my youngest is old enough and sure enough to make big decisions I will support him 100%.

My eldest like I said will be 4 hours away by plane. 4.5 from Calgary to to TO or Ottawa. It hasn't been a perfect plan from the start, but I cannot spend the next 20 years flogging a dead horse. I have tried and better tried. It's like when someone love's you so so much, and you want to love them back just as much, but it isn't there. Not my children of course, it is Canada I am talking about.

Great big fat essay to a stranger LOL. Sorry
Samantha
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah my friend With absolute wisdom I speak, trust me.

I have a 20 year old soon to be 21 year old son who thinks of himself as canadian going to U of T Trinity College in Sept. 4.5 hours flight away. He is going into politics and plans on staying in TO and Ottawa. The 18 years I have spent here have been the most angst ridden of my entire life.

Never able to settle, constantly homesick. My eldest child will come to the UK and I to Canada with his brother. My wee guy will summer here with his father, grandparents and big brother. Our communication is great. I am sure when my youngest is old enough and sure enough to make big decisions I will support him 100%.

My eldest like I said will be 4 hours away by plane. 4.5 from Calgary to to TO or Ottawa. It hasn't been a perfect plan from the start, but I cannot spend the next 20 years flogging a dead horse. I have tried and better tried. It's like when someone love's you so so much, and you want to love them back just as much, but it isn't there. Not my children of course, it is Canada I am talking about.

Great big fat essay to a stranger LOL. Sorry
Samantha
My daughter is a grad of U of T...we are Brits with US citizenship. She is now living and working in T.O. Please never say never and get citizenship if you can before you leave...you don't know what the future may hold.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:08 am
Just Joined

You know you are right 100%. If there is something about this journey that I have learned is don't be rash, plan in advance and never say never :-D I will do all of the paperwork at the same time, so I have it. You are right you never know.

You never know both of my babies may end up here. God that freaks me out, but will support them in whatever they do as long as it's healthy and productive LOL. Being back in the UK with my eldest here is why I am waiting so long before moving. I am beside myself with that one.

And what if I meet someone lovely in the UK in my grey days (which are now thanks to L'oreal) and we want to live close to my eldest.

Thank you. :-D I love your quote about being a Yorkshire girl. I am from Leeds LOL. And it is so true. Only last year did I manage to make a great Yorkshire pud at this altitude in Calgary LOL They are perfect now!

Thanks so much again.

Love Sam
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You know you are right 100%. If there is something about this journey that I have learned is don't be rash, plan in advance and never say never :-D I will do all of the paperwork at the same time, so I have it. You are right you never know.

You never know both of my babies may end up here. God that freaks me out, but will support them in whatever they do as long as it's healthy and productive LOL. Being back in the UK with my eldest here is why I am waiting so long before moving. I am beside myself with that one.

And what if I meet someone lovely in the UK in my grey days (which are now thanks to L'oreal) and we want to live close to my eldest.

Thank you. :-D I love your quote about being a Yorkshire girl. I am from Leeds LOL. And it is so true. Only last year did I manage to make a great Yorkshire pud at this altitude in Calgary LOL They are perfect now!

Thanks so much again.

Love Sam
I'm from a little further south...Sheffield.

We've lived in the US for 13 years...have one child who is now living in T.O...spending 5 yrs at uni and 1 year working. Both my husband and myself are from small families...therefore we don't know where our future lies. One thing is for sure...don't close any doors...keep them open if you possibly can. Good luck...I know how hard the path forward is.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you love, truly. I can't begin to say how the past 18 years have been for my eldest child (loving Canada the way he and his father does) having a Mum wanting something that no longer exists.

My eldest has his Father here, Aunts, Uncles, cousins and Grandparents here. I followed my now ex-husband here and his family from the UK. It's an uber long story. 18 years is.

My youngest, I made a bad choice in partner, I have no support system here. If I were to pop my clogs tomorrow my youngest would be ???

In the last decade I have made bad choices due to home sickness. My youngest was not a bad choice at all, far from it, but my choice of partner was. I am a career girl with bad radar for dudes! Long story short, if I were to be in accident tomorrow I do not want my youngest to be in their hands. My eldest does not need the responsibility.

I am being overly cautious. Things happen. My Mum died at age 41. I am OK and am now 42, but have a quiet fear that no one knows about.

I just want to make sure they are both cared for and loved, secure and safe. My youngest is 3 almost 4, I am his only support system here. My eldest is 20 almost 21 and on a set path of politics with a huge support system 1000's of KM's away.

I need to secure my youngest's future. I hope this all makes sense. It's only recently that I have made up my mind and am still talking it through. I went back in 92' and 99' both under I want to go home circumstances. This time I am planning and covering all my bases to make sure my boys are AOK. I have no illusions about UK, my family there or my life long friends there. What Id do have is a secure network of sane people, who could step up for my wee guy if I were to go unexpectedly.

I know it's not likely, but life has shown me life is unexpected.

What is you daughter taking at U of T? How did you end up moving from Canada to US? Are you settled and happy now? I do miss Brit friends. North American's are way different and harder to bond long term friendships with. It's odd I do not know why. My eldest is thriving

Thank you for your kind words and most of all sound advice. Thank you. Sheffield girl! meadowlark/hall? is it? I went there the first Christmas it was open to buy my first little black dress. It's like WEM!!! West Ed Mall LOL

eeee

Thanks again
Sam
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:03 am
JAJ
Retired

We get so many people on these forums who are "sure" of their course of action. Then they often come back months, or years later, regretting the way they closed off options for themselves.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Hey there

Thank you I know, truly. I arrived here in 91' knowing I'd made the wrong choice for me, but not for my child. I did a stupid thing in 92 and took my the 3 year old back to the UK without permission. I was told to come back with my child ASAP by UK high court judge.

I was a baby at the time that just thought I could turn around and go home, even tho my hubby left us originally to Canada with no plan about when he would see his child. WE couldn't make it work, so I went home with my baby. The above happened.

I was heart broken to find that a Calgary judge told me that my child should reside with his father full time because of my rash decision. I lived with that for many years beating myself up. I came home without my child in 98 and returned in 99 because I couldn't love without my child.

I have stayed put since. Not because I like it here but because of my child. This has never been home, originally I did not want my child to grow up without a father, he is a good daddy.

It's a hard thing to look at from the outside and think rationally about it. I did not want to be here in the first place. Now my youngest if I were to go would be left without a sane educational course, or culture or humour. Whether the UK is right for me right now or not is not the question. It is, if something were to happen to me would there be someone, sane, creative and intelligent enough to raise my youngest with good values, manners, education and a passion for people and creativity.

The answer is no.

I have done 2 rash quick dashes back before, this time, it's planned, even additional education that I need and which city hopefully we will live in. This time it's more planned than the initial immigration here, the 92 and 99.

This time I have no illusions just a solid plan and a yen for home that has never left me. I will do all of the paperwork including dual for myself, that is a good back up plan for sure. If there is anything that I have learned from this is, get a good strategy and know that you mean it 110%

How about you?

Thank you all very very much, indeed. Wish I would have thought to arrive at this site years earlier The best to you and yours.

Samantha
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you love, truly. I can't begin to say how the past 18 years have been for my eldest child (loving Canada the way he and his father does) having a Mum wanting something that no longer exists.

My eldest has his Father here, Aunts, Uncles, cousins and Grandparents here. I followed my now ex-husband here and his family from the UK. It's an uber long story. 18 years is.

My youngest, I made a bad choice in partner, I have no support system here. If I were to pop my clogs tomorrow my youngest would be ???

In the last decade I have made bad choices due to home sickness. My youngest was not a bad choice at all, far from it, but my choice of partner was. I am a career girl with bad radar for dudes! Long story short, if I were to be in accident tomorrow I do not want my youngest to be in their hands. My eldest does not need the responsibility.

I am being overly cautious. Things happen. My Mum died at age 41. I am OK and am now 42, but have a quiet fear that no one knows about.

I just want to make sure they are both cared for and loved, secure and safe. My youngest is 3 almost 4, I am his only support system here. My eldest is 20 almost 21 and on a set path of politics with a huge support system 1000's of KM's away.

I need to secure my youngest's future. I hope this all makes sense. It's only recently that I have made up my mind and am still talking it through. I went back in 92' and 99' both under I want to go home circumstances. This time I am planning and covering all my bases to make sure my boys are AOK. I have no illusions about UK, my family there or my life long friends there. What Id do have is a secure network of sane people, who could step up for my wee guy if I were to go unexpectedly.

I know it's not likely, but life has shown me life is unexpected.

What is you daughter taking at U of T? How did you end up moving from Canada to US? Are you settled and happy now? I do miss Brit friends. North American's are way different and harder to bond long term friendships with. It's odd I do not know why. My eldest is thriving

Thank you for your kind words and most of all sound advice. Thank you. Sheffield girl! meadowlark/hall? is it? I went there the first Christmas it was open to buy my first little black dress. It's like WEM!!! West Ed Mall LOL

eeee

Thanks again
Sam
I've only been to MeadowHall once and that was last year. I left Sheffield many years before it opened.

We moved to the US 13 years ago...when our daughter was 11. She loved U of T and Toronto...she's lived there 6 years now. I can see the attraction...a modern city by the lake...with all city life has to offer a twenty something year old.

I understand what you are saying. Ozzies call it the Ping Pong Pom Syndrome...I call it the Curse of the Expats. We long for the UK whilst we are living overseas...we go back for a visit and really enjoy it...it's home...but after a while rosy tinted specs slip down our noses a little. From my perspective I really don't know what our future holds...but I do know it's sensible to keep all doors open.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:27 am
Just Joined

It makes me sad that I don't feel that I can say for 100% that I will be happy in the UK again. It isn't that is my driving force though. My driving force is having a sane saftey net for my wee guy if something happened too me.

He would not have that here. I need the security of family, educated, sane and creative family members. I am from Leeds but would move closer to London to ensure that this would take place.

I do not plan on leaving this world at all and am healthy and very well, but need a back up plan for my wee bean as I call him. My eldest, is safe, secure, and will be moving away in Sept. I have empty nest syndrome already. He's at J' Explore. I am just so proud. His father is secure as are his family. James is safe.

My wee guy isn't. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. My stints back in the UK in 91 and 99 were both true attempts at returning. First time 6 weeks, told to come back here. Second time 5.5 very long months I couldn't leave my son. I did not attempt to contact any friends or family whilst I was ther because I knew I would struggle with returning back to Canada.

Now is different. My wee guy is the right age to move before kindergarten starts. My eldest in University in Sept. I would not leave or attempt it until Aug. 2010. Pending jitters.

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.