Canadian Wife UK VISA?

Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

fridgedesign is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Wife UK VISA?

Hi,

I know this is a Canadian Immigration section but I couldn't find where to post and I guessed people in the forum would still know the answers.

I'm from the UK and my wife is Canadian. We got married in May and I'm about to get my Canadian Spouse VISA. We're living in Toronto at the moment but in the future we possibly plan to head back to Europe.

If we plan to head back to the UK/EU in a few years, can she apply for a UK/EU VISA now?

Anything else I need to know??
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Wife UK VISA?

Have you checked the UKBA website for answers?
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

I looked there.

It just gives you information if your wife/husband already lives in the UK. Basically how to keep her/him there longer.

We wish to move there in a few years, so want to be ready, rather than decide to go and be delayed by the VISA office as it take them ages to issue VISAs...
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Did you click on the Visas and Immigration link (left side top) then click on partners and families link then on the family members of British citizens or oh stuff it just go to this page

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ly-outside-uk/
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Under the section 'Can You Apply?' it says

'you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK'

We're not 100% yet, but its a huge possibility that it will be the UK or Europe...

As a Canadian she needs a UK/EU passport to work or even be considered for work interviews.

Do you think she can still apply even though we're not 100% sure will actually move to the UK?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Visas are not normally issued to persons who MAY move. They are usually issued to people who ARE moving though once visa is issued a person can change their mind and not go. Visas usually have a limited time frame.
IMHO pointless applying for one and especially if there is a fee involved and not knowing if or when you will go.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

The thing is, if we decide to go in 2 years time and we start just before we go. The process can take ages - i waited 2.5years for a Canadian one, only to be turned down, then we got married (planned before the refusal) and then had to wait 8-10 months!

How can you plan your future when VISAs are needed!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

newstart187 is an unknown quantity at this point

A passport won't come until you have lived in the UK for 5 years.

We only did a number of visas while in the UK but they were all very quick and I believe we paid extra for same day turnaround at Croydon. It was someime ago so this may not be 100% correct but it's limited leave to remain (no benefits but NHS and can work) for 2 years then unlimited leave to remain (everything but can be revoked if you move abroad for x period of time). After 5 years you can apply for citizenship if married to a Brit.

They are not cheap compared to Canada PR but they're a lot quicker and a lot less forms. Iirc a lot less evidence too. I'm fairly sure there was no letters, photos etc and only about 5 proofs of documents over the 5 years or so. We're looking at submitting 100s to CIC. Which is fine as since going through the UK immigration route we keep all paperwork.

There are questions on time spent out of the UK so if you get the permit and don't stay here it may not bode well for future ones

Last edited by newstart187; Dec 8th 2012 at 10:04 am.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newstart187
A passport won't come until you have lived in the UK for 5 years.

We only did a number of visas while in the UK but they were all very quick and I believe we paid extra for same day turnaround at Croydon. It was someime ago so this may not be 100% correct but it's limited leave to remain (no benefits but NHS and can work) for 2 years then unlimited leave to remain (everything but can be revoked if you move abroad for x period of time). After 5 years you can apply for citizenship if married to a Brit.

They are not cheap compared to Canada PR but they're a lot quicker and a lot less forms. Iirc a lot less evidence too. I'm fairly sure there was no letters, photos etc and only about 5 proofs of documents over the 5 years or so. We're looking at submitting 100s to CIC. Which is fine as since going through the UK immigration route we keep all paperwork.

There are questions on time spent out of the UK so if you get the permit and don't stay here it may not bode well for future ones
I'll move the thread to the Moving Back to the UK forum - there are some good threads in there on this subject
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fridgedesign
Hi,

I know this is a Canadian Immigration section but I couldn't find where to post and I guessed people in the forum would still know the answers.

I'm from the UK and my wife is Canadian. We got married in May and I'm about to get my Canadian Spouse VISA. We're living in Toronto at the moment but in the future we possibly plan to head back to Europe.

If we plan to head back to the UK/EU in a few years, can she apply for a UK/EU VISA now?

If you are not planning to move to the UK for a few years, don't apply for the visa now.

The dates of issue on the visa, has a relevance to when the applicant can then apply for Further leave to remain (ie get permanent residency).

Currently, visa are only taking about 3 months to issue, so apply for yours when you know you are going to move.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fridgedesign
Hi,

She can apply now, but it would be a waste of time and money since it would only be valid for entry into the UK in the three months following its issue. If and when you decide to go back, then apply. The process only takes a few weeks. As you are married, she could apply for British citizenship within three years which would allow you both to live in Canada, the UK or anywhere else in the EU as you please.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

With the new rules since July 2012, applying for naturalisation is now 5 years.

For spouses of British citizens you only need to have ILR when you apply for citizenship and there is no need to have held it for 12 months. They also need only to have lawfully resided in the UK for three years. Of course, since the probationary period for spouses has been increased to five years this 3-year residence requirement has become largely academic. So, in the case of someone who came to the UK as a the spouse of a British citizen under the new rules with a 5-year probationary period they could apply for naturalisation on receiving ILR after five years in the UK.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
With the new rules since July 2012, applying for naturalisation is now 5 years.

For spouses of British citizens you only need to have ILR when you apply for citizenship and there is no need to have held it for 12 months. They also need only to have lawfully resided in the UK for three years. Of course, since the probationary period for spouses has been increased to five years this 3-year residence requirement has become largely academic. So, in the case of someone who came to the UK as a the spouse of a British citizen under the new rules with a 5-year probationary period they could apply for naturalisation on receiving ILR after five years in the UK.
Do you have a source for that? The UKBA website is still quoting three years.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/
Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:44 am

Oh, okay, so you need to have five years now under a spousal visa before you can get ILR even through you only need three years residence in order to naturalise, but you need to have ILR before you apply. Sneaky. So that makes it the same as the ordinary residency route with a work visa. In fact, the only way you can do it in three years is for the British spouse to be serving overseas in Crown or designated service when you're not resident in the UK - oh the irony!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...can-you-apply/
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

So another question.

If me and the wife apply for a Spouse VISA for the UK. Can she move to the UK for a year and then work in the EU on the VISA?

I'm guessing the Spouse VISA will be a work permit...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.