Canada > UK - Visa or possible citizenship for son?

Old May 24th 2024, 6:13 am
Just Joined

GoonerJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada > UK - Visa or possible citizenship for son?

Good day all.
Planning to move to the UK end of the year with my family. We'ev never lived in the UK, only visit family for short periods.
My partner and I are both dual citizens, Canadian born, British passport holders, through our fathers. We have a 2yr old who will be 3 by the time we make way also born in Canada.

It seems the ancestry visa is only for 17+ so thats out the window. I'm getting conflicting advice elsewhere that he might be eligable for citizenship via grandparents, but the wormhole of the Home Office site is spinning me.

Is the only option a super expensive visa? or is there a better option?

Thank you in advance!
Jason

Old May 24th 2024, 7:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada > UK - Visa or possible citizenship for son?

British citizenship doesn’t appear to be an option at the moment but if you and your partner are both British citizens by descent then your son is eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Enter meaning he’ll be a permanent resident on arrival into the UK.

Once all three of you have completed three years in the UK together you can apply to register your son as a British citizen which will give him British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning he can pass it on to any of his children who are born outside the UK.
Old May 25th 2024, 1:48 am
Just Joined

GoonerJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada > UK - Visa or possible citizenship for son?

That is great, Thankyou. Really apprecatite the response!

J