British Passports

Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:36 pm
Scottish forever

scotia123 will become famous soon enough
Default British Passports

I need to renew my son's UK Passport and as I do not know any British Doctors, Lawyers etc here in the USA, I am wondering how others Brits got around this problem. Could I use someone who is a Director of a company for instance who we have known for a couple of years.....any help is appreciated.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports

Originally Posted by scotia123
I need to renew my son's UK Passport and as I do not know any British Doctors, Lawyers etc here in the USA, I am wondering how others Brits got around this problem. Could I use someone who is a Director of a company for instance who we have known for a couple of years.....any help is appreciated.
just use someone of professional standing.

don't have to be British.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:40 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

try your friendly bank teller/ bank office manager. That's who I used late last year and had no issues
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know any British Doctors, Lawyers etc here in the USA, I am wondering how others Brits got around this problem.
You *can* use someone in the US who has the same professional standing... so a US doctor, lawyer, etc... whatever's on the list - as long as they have personally known you for at least "x" years. I used my dentist! Renewed my UK passport with no problem.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:32 pm
Scottish forever

Thanks for the information folks. I did mean to ask in my last question where the best place to get passport photos done to the British standard.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that a passport renewal did not need a new 'reference' - just the old passport sent in. Is your son under 16? I renewed mine a couple of years ago and can't recall having to do this.
I assume you've been on:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passpor...wing-passport/
Apologies if I'm wrong.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Also the form is:
http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res...890942/form-c1
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:45 pm
Scottish forever

My son turned 18 in Nov 2008, but his passport has run out and he needs it to go back to the UK for a visit this year. We would have been renewing it anyway. Reading through the Application form it does state that the photos etc need to be endorsed. I was under the impression though that because it is just a renewal of his passport that this was not necessary. I am getting mixed responses regarding this procedure of endorsement and not sure which is true.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

My son turned 18 in Nov 2008, but his passport has run out and he needs it to go back to the UK for a visit this year. We would have been renewing it anyway. Reading through the Application form it does state that the photos etc need to be endorsed. I was under the impression though that because it is just a renewal of his passport that this was not necessary. I am getting mixed responses regarding this procedure of endorsement and not sure which is true.
You'll note on the form that it doesn't even need to be a UK citizen to endorse. If the existing passport is submitted and the (US?) boss signs saying that the photo is a true likeness, I'll doubt if you'll get into any issues.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I did mean to ask in my last question where the best place to get passport photos done to the British standard.
My solution - digital camera and photo paper in the inkjet printer! Perfectly acceptable.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:09 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My solution - digital camera and photo paper in the inkjet printer! Perfectly acceptable.

Ian
yup, I know someone who did that too with no issues.

Otherwise CVS and cut to size (what I did for mine), or Walgreens. The Walgreens system will prompt for the country the passport is to be issued in and adjust the size/proportions to suit.

Last edited by Paul S; Feb 11th 2009 at 1:17 pm. Reason: stupid spill chuckler obviously wasn't working for my first post :-)
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Paul S
The Walgreens system will prompt for the country the passport is to be issued in and adjust the size/proportions to suit.
Magic!

Ian
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:14 pm
Scottish forever

So I gave my kid the measurements required for the photos for his British Passport and off he went to Walmart, Walgreens and Rite Aid. All of them told him they could not do the photos in that size.....aaargh!! Guess I will have to go to a photographer and get them done. I know some of you have done them on your printer but I doubt mine would print them out with a professional look to them.....would the USA size that these stores do be OK if I cut them to size....anyone done that?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Guess I will have to go to a photographer and get them done.
Still a waste of time, IMO - he'll do what you can do, but charge a lot more for it. Do you have a Kinko's or UPS Store in your area. Print it out there on one of their color laser printers and resize them on the fly. This isn't difficult if you think a bit outside the box.

Ian
Old Feb 20th 2009, 6:08 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

would the USA size that these stores do be OK if I cut them to size....anyone done that?
see post #11