Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Hi all and a question about selling property while overseas

Hi all and a question about selling property while overseas

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:33 am
Just Joined

reznik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about selling UK property while overseas

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post here.

I'm currently living in Taipei, Taiwan, with a Taiwanese wife and two young kids.
We have a small property in Edinburgh which we are thinking of selling in order to fund a larger one.

This will be a 2-part process...

1. Sell the old property
2. Buy a new property

My question is about part one. I have contacted a solicitor back in Edinburgh, where the property is located. He is the same solicitor who helped me to buy the property originally. I have asked him to start the procedure of putting it on the market. He has the deeds to the flat in his office, so that makes things somewhat easier.

My wife is terrified that I am giving the solicitor too much of an opportunity to pull a fast one and run off with our money once the property sells.

Is there any chance in the world that something like that would happen? It's not unheard of in Taiwan, for example. Also, is there anything I could do to protect myself from this happening, like asking a family member to sign documents on my behalf or something (they would have to fly over from Northern Ireland to do this, so it's not that convenient)?

Or can you think of anything I could say to, or show, my wife to convince her that there is nothing to worry about?

Thanks for any and all information.

P.S. I'm not sure this is the best section to post this in, but given that we're planning to move back soon, I think this is where I'm mostly going to be hanging around.

Last edited by reznik; Mar 3rd 2009 at 6:29 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all and a question about selling property while overseas

If you are using a real solicitor then this would be extremely unlikely in the UK. I would not worry about it any further. I sold my own property whilst I was living overseas and was able to sign all my paperwoork from over there.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:23 am
Just Joined

reznik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi all and a question about selling property while overseas

Thanks, Bermudashorts.

That's reassuring. Speaking to a couple of other colleagues, including one lawyer, it seems there is little, if anything, to worry about.

Thanks agian,
Stu
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about selling UK property while overseas

Originally Posted by reznik
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post here.

I'm currently living in Taipei, Taiwan, with a Taiwanese wife and two young kids.
We have a small property in Edinburgh which we are thinking of selling in order to fund a larger one.

This will be a 2-part process...

1. Sell the old property
2. Buy a new property

My question is about part one. I have contacted a solicitor back in Edinburgh, where the property is located. He is the same solicitor who helped me to buy the property originally. I have asked him to start the procedure of putting it on the market. He has the deeds to the flat in his office, so that makes things somewhat easier.

My wife is terrified that I am giving the solicitor too much of an opportunity to pull a fast one and run off with our money once the property sells.

Is there any chance in the world that something like that would happen? It's not unheard of in Taiwan, for example. Also, is there anything I could do to protect myself from this happening, like asking a family member to sign documents on my behalf or something (they would have to fly over from Northern Ireland to do this, so it's not that convenient)?

Or can you think of anything I could say to, or show, my wife to convince her that there is nothing to worry about?

Thanks for any and all information.

P.S. I'm not sure this is the best section to post this in, but given that we're planning to move back soon, I think this is where I'm mostly going to be hanging around.
It happened to a friend of mine many years ago. If remember correctly the Law Society covers that sort of thing...anyhow she got her money back.

You can give power of attorney to anyone to sign the papers on your behalf. They do not have to fly anywhere....it can all be done my mail.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 4th 2009 at 9:40 am.