Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British parent, new born child in Canada, applying for British passport :s

British parent, new born child in Canada, applying for British passport :s

Old Mar 10th 2021, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British parent, new born child in Canada, applying for British passport :s

That would be phenomenal if that resolves the issue, and I cannot thank you enough for clarifying the situation and bringing this to my attention.

By the way, I just realised, my certificate is a "Certificate of Registration". I was reading my father's "Certificate of Naturalisation" and misread the headings, which justifies SanDiegoGirl's previous comment. My apologies :s

Another question if I may. Do I merely e-mail HMPO with a copy of my Certificate of Registration and highlight their oversight? Do I email them without making mention to the error and state something along the lines of "I hope this resolves the matter" while completely disregarding their request for my parents' marriage certificate and ILR confirmation? How would you suggest I best go about this?

THANK YOU!
Old Mar 10th 2021, 5:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British parent, new born child in Canada, applying for British passport :s

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
That would be phenomenal if that resolves the issue, and I cannot thank you enough for clarifying the situation and bringing this to my attention.

By the way, I just realised, my certificate is a "Certificate of Registration". I was reading my father's "Certificate of Naturalisation" and misread the headings, which justifies SanDiegoGirl's previous comment. My apologies :s

Another question if I may. Do I merely e-mail HMPO with a copy of my Certificate of Registration and highlight their oversight? Do I email them without making mention to the error and state something along the lines of "I hope this resolves the matter" while completely disregarding their request for my parents' marriage certificate and ILR confirmation? How would you suggest I best go about this?

THANK YOU!
That makes a lot more sense!

I would gently suggest it was your oversight rather than HMPO’s if you didn’t provide your certificate with the application. I would therefore supply your certificate in whichever manner they have requested the other documents. This usually means by post.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

So would I then have to go through another process to register my son as a British citizen once HMPO (fingers crossed) provide him with a British passport?

It is super kind of you to help out with my son's passport application BritInParis, and SanDiegoGirl too of course.

I have sent off the Certificate and will let you know how I get on.

Cannot thank you enough. GREATLY appreciated.

Take care, stay safe, and talk soon.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 12:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Consular birth registration isn’t available for children born in Canada so his passport is all he’ll be able to get. Let us know how you get on.