COVID-related delays; from when do I count the days?

Old Mar 12th 2021, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

trynastay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default COVID-related delays; from when do I count the days?

I'm a Canadian and my Brit wife sponsored me to move to the UK. I got my 30-day vignette issued that was valid from early March to early April. I had booked a flight near the end of March but with a comfortable week and a half buffer from the end date. But then, COVID19 became a pandemic and my flight got cancelled. The UK government recognized this delay so they let us apply for a free replacement vignette with later dates. This was a lengthy process as well because I had to wait to be called to even be able to reapply. Once I got my passport back with the shiny new vignette, I finally got to fly in to collect my BRP in September 2020, 6 months after I got my original vignette. After the required quarantine of 14 days upon landing,

I went to the Post Office to pick up my BRP. My BRP's date of issue was at the end of February 2020 and it is due to expire in December 2022, which is just over a 33-month duration. The problem is, the border control stamp on the renewed vignette in my passport has the date that I landed in the UK, which was in the first week of September 2020. September 2020 to December 2022 is just over 27 months so how and when would my wife be able to apply to extend my visa? From my understanding, you have to be within the UK for 30 months before you are able to apply for an extension - is that right? If so, that would put my BRP past expiration.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by trynastay; Mar 12th 2021 at 10:26 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-related delays; from when do I count the days?

You renew the visa based on the Dec 2022 date.

Although you had the vignette amended to allow a later entry to the UK, your original visa dates stand......Feb 2020 to Dec 2022.