British citizenship through double decent

Old Apr 5th 2017, 9:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship through double decent

Originally Posted by wilkinskevinj
I have just received a letter from DFID (Department for International Development) And the letter states that my father was employed in the UK by the Crown Agents for service with the Government of Northern Rhodesia as a Assistant Inspector of Police from 02/08/1955 up to 12/12/1965. I was born on 04/04/1962.

I understand this means that I gained citizenship other than by decent and therefore my son can claim citizenship by decent.

My consular birth certificate from GRO was unsuccessful
That's good news. The next step would be to apply for your son's British passport.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 7:39 am
Just Joined

wilkinskevinj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for you help.

Last question, do you know what documentation I must submit with the application? I ask because I sent a email to the passport office and no proper response.

I have got my birth certificate, my son's birth certificate, my British passport, my son's south African passport, my marriage certificate and the letter from DFID proving that my father was in crown service. Would I need my father's birth Certificate and or marriage certificate?

Regards
Kevin
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for you help.

Last question, do you know what documentation I must submit with the application? I ask because I sent a email to the passport office and no proper response.

I have got my birth certificate, my son's birth certificate, my British passport, my son's south African passport, my marriage certificate and the letter from DFID proving that my father was in crown service. Would I need my father's birth Certificate and or marriage certificate?

Regards
Kevin
Yes, in addition to the documents you already hold, you would also be required to submit your father's full British birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 7:42 am
Just Joined

I have just received a letter from DFID (Department for International Development) And the letter states that my father was employed in the UK by the Crown Agents for service with the Government of Northern Rhodesia as a Assistant Inspector of Police from 02/08/1955 up to 12/12/1965. I was born on 04/04/1962.

I understand this means that I gained citizenship other than by decent and therefore my son can claim citizenship by decent.

My consular birth certificate from GRO was unsuccessful
I would like to say a belated thank you to this forum as once I got back from my father's funeral in South Africa I successfully Applied for my son's Passport
Old Jul 13th 2017, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Based on my successfully application for my son's British Passport (he is 13 years old) I would like to find out if my 23 year old niece also qualifies. If she does will my brother have to renew his passport first as it has expired?
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:22 pm

I would like to say a belated thank you to this forum as once I got back from my father's funeral in South Africa I successfully Applied for my son's Passport
Glad to hear it. As your son is the second generation born abroad I would also highly recommend consular birth registration.

Based on my successfully application for my son's British Passport (he is 13 years old) I would like to find out if my 23 year old niece also qualifies. If she does will my brother have to renew his passport first as it has expired?
Providing your brother was also born between 1955 and 1965 and was married to your niece's mother at the time of birth then your niece would also be eligible. Your brother wouldn't need to renew his British passport in order for your niece to apply for hers. Again I would recommend consular birth registration once she receives her passport.