British citizenship through double decent

Old Feb 28th 2017, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

wilkinskevinj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship through double decent

I saw one of the previous threads on citizenship through double decent and would like to inquire about this route for my son.

My son was born on 15/01/2004 in South Africa.

His Paternal Grandfather was in the Crown Service (recruited in the UK) in the territorial police in Northern Rhodesia at the time of my birth on 04/04/1962.
His Paternal Great Grandfather was born in UK and fought in the royal air force in the first world war and was some how involved in the evacuation of parts of France in the second world war and then was transferred to Canada to head up the accident investigation division.

I (his father) was born in Ndola, Northern Rhodesia on 04/04/1962 and my father (my son's paternal grandfather) was born in Richmond, Surrey on 08/01/1934.

I will have been living in the UK without any breaks for 3 years on 25/06/2017.

My wife and son will have been living in the UK on 05/12/2017 for 3 years.

We have purchased our own property.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 1:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship through double decent

If your son has been living in the UK for the last three years then presumably he holds ILE/ILR?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

My son is currently on the spousal / family visa of a British partner. it is a VISA SPOUSE/CP. He will be here 3 years in December this year
Old Feb 28th 2017, 1:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilkinskevinj
My son is currently on the spousal / family visa of a British partner. it is a VISA SPOUSE/CP. He will be here 3 years in December this year
That would be your wife's visa. What's his? If you are a British citizen then he should have been granted Indefinite Leave to Enter if the application was lodged in South Africa. Does he have a visa in his passport or a BRP?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

He was processed on my wife's visa application and it is the same visa in his passport. He has a visa in his passport not a BRP.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:55 pm

He was processed on my wife's visa application and it is the same visa in his passport. He has a visa in his passport not a BRP.
Whatever visa he holds is a moot point if he's a British citizen by descent as it would be null and void. If he's not then he would be eligible for registration as a British citizen otherwise than by descent under Section 3(5) once he completes his three years residence in the UK.

If your grandfather was recruited into Crown Service from the UK and was in that service at the time of your birth then you would be a British citizen otherwise than by descent and thus your son would be a British citizen by descent. What paperwork do you have relating to your father's recruitment and service?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

It was my father (my son's grandfather) who was recruited into the Crown Service from the UK and was in that service at the time of my birth. My father is still alive so I will ask him what paperwork (if any) relating to his recruitment. He was in the Northern Rhodesian territorial police, if he has no paper work do you know who I would contact in UK to get said paper work?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:48 pm

It was my father (my son's grandfather) who was recruited into the Crown Service from the UK and was in that service at the time of my birth. My father is still alive so I will ask him what paperwork (if any) relating to his recruitment. He was in the Northern Rhodesian territorial police, if he has no paper work do you know who I would contact in UK to get said paper work?
Sorry, I meant your son's grandfather. I'm afraid I don't know. Presumably the archives, if extant, would either still in Zambia or held by the FCO. Ask your father first and see what he comes up with.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

I have spoken to my dad and he does not have any paper work. Excuse me for being stupid but what does FCO stand for?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:28 pm

I have spoken to my dad and he does not have any paper work. Excuse me for being stupid but what does FCO stand for?
Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Do you have a British consular birth certificate?
Old Mar 1st 2017, 9:55 am
Just Joined

my birth certificate is "District of the Territory of Northern Rhodesia"
Old Mar 1st 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

I have spoken to my father and he said that he has no documentation proof, he worked in Northern Rhodesia from August 1955 to May 1965.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 1:58 pm

Put in a request to the GRO for your consular birth certificate. It will only cost you £9.25 and that fee will be refunded if they cannot find it.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for this, I have placed the order and update the tread once I have feed back
Old Apr 5th 2017, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

I have just received a letter from DFID (Department for International Development) And the letter states that my father was employed in the UK by the Crown Agents for service with the Government of Northern Rhodesia as a Assistant Inspector of Police from 02/08/1955 up to 12/12/1965. I was born on 04/04/1962.

I understand this means that I gained citizenship other than by decent and therefore my son can claim citizenship by decent.

My consular birth certificate from GRO was unsuccessful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.