British citizen with Swedish wife and kids

Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

maktastic is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy British citizen with Swedish wife and kids

Hi all, first time posting here with this account. It has been a while since I've looked here but there is always great information and support so here I am again!

My query is about moving back to the UK with my wife and kids. I myself am a British citizen and have a British passport. My wife and children however have Swedish passports.
I've looked on Gov.uk to see if we need a visa for my wife but since she is from Sweden it says straight away it is not needed. Great.

My question is, does this apply to staying in the UK? Will we still need to apply for a visa if we intend to settle there, as we wish?
Anyone had this or similar before? I'm all for skipping the visa applications but I'm afraid we will be turned away at the border and be sent back to nothing.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen with Swedish wife and kids

EU Citizens married to UK citizens at the moment do not need this. Post Brexit ? For that you need an oracle.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. This confirms what I already know. I just wish there was some scrap of information to look at in order to make sure. We're planning on a move this summer and I'm wanting to book flights too, but even that is uncertain if there will be anything grounded or not.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 9:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If the transition period goes ahead as planned then a summer move would be fine. Your wife would just need to apply for pre-settled status (online or through an app for £65) to ensure her ability to remain in the UK continues after 31 December 2020. If the withdrawal agreement cannot get through Parliament then there will be no transition period when we leave the EU on 29 March 2019. At that point your wife potentially would require visa sponsorship.

If your children are your biological children then you should obtain British passports for them regardless of which scenario plays out.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Hey, thanks for the reply.
Would a visa sponsorship be able to be cleared before the move in June? It leaves only around 2 months for any paperwork and processing.
As for our children, only one of them is my own and the other 2 are legally adopted. I'm not sure how this would affect things.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Ordinarily yes but all bets are off regarding visas in a No Deal Brexit so I wouldn't like to speculate.

Those who you have legally adopted can usually become British citizens by registration if they are not already. How old are your children?
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

10, 8 and 4. By the time of travel they would be 11, 8 and 5.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:16 pm

Try this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sh-citizenship

A caveat: just because the adoption took place in a Hague Convention country doesn't necessarily mean it was a Hague Convention adoption.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I'll look into this. Each bit of information I get opens another can of worms, but at least I can get some clarity in it all.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by maktastic
Thanks, I'll look into this. Each bit of information I get opens another can of worms, but at least I can get some clarity in it all.
Better to get your ducks in a row in plenty of time.