British citizen - spouse gets a UK job

Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:50 am
Just Joined

jenlynn97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen - spouse gets a UK job

I am a UK citizen but I have never lived there. I am a dual US\Uk citizen. My husband may get a postdoctoral position in the UK. Any advice on the proper procedure for moving there with 2 kids? Should he get the work visa and I can find a job as a citizen (no visa required) when we get there? Post docs make about £32,000 a year. Any advice would help. I have stayed in the UK for periods of time but never officially lived or worked there. My kids are not dual citizens. Thanks!
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen - spouse gets a UK job

So I am assuming that you are British by descent - Born overseas? Neither parent on "government service"? Not lived in the UK for a period of three consecutive years (90 days per year ourside the UK is allowed) before your children were born?

Your children will need visas.

BritInParis is the guru here on these matters, so hopefully he will be along soon to fill in the details.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What visa is your husband obtaining?

Depending on what visa he obtains maybe a dependent visa for the children would be applicable.

OR:

maybe a settlement visa based on the mother being a British citizen?
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your British parent(s) were in Crown service at the time of your birth then your children won't currently be eligible for British citizenship if you have never lived in the UK. You can apply for settlement visas for them however which will give them Indefinite Leave to Enter (permanent residency) from the get-go. After three years of living together in the UK you can register them as British citizens which will give them British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning they can pass on their British citizenship to their own children regardless of where they are born.

As for your husband he can do it either one of two ways. The first one would be to allow his employer to sponsor him for a work visa. Providing this is a Tier 2 (General) visa then this can lead to settlement after five years however your husband will be tied to his employer during this time unless he can find another sponsor to take over his visa.

The second one would be for you to sponsor him for a spouse visa as you are a British citizen. The paperwork is more complicated and the cost to you likely higher but it does come with the added advantage of your husband's immigration status not being tied to any employer nor remaining employed. You would need to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship however. There are several routes, the savings route being the simplest if you can meet it. These are explained in more detail on the wiki.

You would obviously just need a valid British passport (and a valid US passport to leave the country).
Old Dec 7th 2016, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenlynn97
I am a UK citizen but I have never lived there. I am a dual US\Uk citizen. My husband may get a postdoctoral position in the UK. Any advice on the proper procedure for moving there with 2 kids? Should he get the work visa and I can find a job as a citizen (no visa required) when we get there? Post docs make about £32,000 a year. Any advice would help. I have stayed in the UK for periods of time but never officially lived or worked there. My kids are not dual citizens. Thanks!
As a British Citizen who never lived in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number when you return to the UK. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number