Marriage in UK or Canada

Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

dillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marriage in UK or Canada

Hey,

I am looking at travelling to Canada (from UK) in the beginning of the year to propose to my girlfriend. And then looking at doing a traditional Asian engagement event where both families are present in April, and this will be in the UK.

We also want to look at having a civil/court (what is the correct term?) wedding when she is in the UK. And then having an Indian wedding later in the year in Canada.

My apologies if this is in the wrong section. I have a number of questions that I'm hoping you will he able to help me with.

1. Does she need a special type of visa if we do that marriage in the UK?
2. Does it make a difference where the legal marriage takes place? (I'm planning on moving)
3. Can someone explain the process to get married? This will be her first visit to the UK, she will hopefully be here for a week or so.
4. Do you think we would have time to apply for a spousal visa during that time? What would you suggest?
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage in UK or Canada

1. Yes. If you only want to marry in the UK (not wanting to remain in the UK) you apply for a marriage visitor visa (gives you 6 months in which to marry)

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

2. You can marry anywhere in the UK that a legal marriage can be performed.

3. Answered above if you want to marry and then leave.

4. People obtain a spouse visa when they intend to remain in the UK to live permanently. If you wish to do this, then you sponsor your prospective wife for a fiance visa, (gives you 6 months to get married) and then a spouse visa when married. Usually called a settlement visa.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

The spouse visa requires financial resources and you must show evidence of relationship and accommodation.

The financial requirements are below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf
Old Dec 7th 2016, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

dillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage in UK or Canada

Thanks for the answers.

Regarding the last question. If I am looking at moving to Canada, what would your advice be regarding applying during that week? Would it be

- looking at marrying whilst she is here & her then going back home to Canada, and then me moving if I get a spousal visa for Canada

Also, did I read it right that she has to be here for a certain amount of time before letting the marriage office about an intent to wed?